Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crew for Tamiya for their Yamaha Round the World yacht ?  (Read 8573 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Crew for Tamiya for their Yamaha Round the World yacht ?
« on: February 10, 2010, 08:38:19 pm »

Via email to Mayhem..

Martin
Again thank you for the very quick response. I am located on the other side of the pond and then some. I am based in
Southern California. Recently got into RC Sailing. I am working on my 4th boat since being introduced to the sport.
I have been reading the information on sizing and compressing images - good stuff all!
I have been doing a few searches to drill down to topics on RC Sailing.

I am also looking world wide for a "crew kit" that was offered by Tamiya for their Yamaha Round the World RC sailboat/yacht
which was discontinued back in 2000. I was very lucky to find a boat new one "in the original box" on E-bay in Dec.
(pictured below) The other image shows the crew kit I am looking for.

Any suggestions or direction on how I might put the word out that I'd I am in need and ready to buy?
I don't want to miss use the forum, thus my question to you.
Thank you
Be well.
Rick
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Crew for Tamiya for their Yamaha Round the World yacht ?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 10:13:32 pm »

I googled 'Tamiya 1/20 crew', and got several hits.

Including the round the world tacht crew for £60+
or the F1 pit crew (could be modified) from $8.

There are other 1/20 scale figures on the market that could be modified.

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Crew for Tamiya for their Yamaha Round the World yacht ? Located!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 08:11:16 pm »

Tigertiger
Thanks for the tip on the crew set. I was able to buy a set (new in the original box) yesterday. It is on the way to me from Hong Kong. The chap I purchased the kit from told me he was able to buy several crew kits from an older hobby shop that did not know how rare these kits are. Thus I payed too much for the kit but I am happy I was able to get one before they are totally extinct.

I did buy the Tamiya pit crew set from Tower Hobbies for $9.00 US which I will be painting and adapting to another boat. Maybe I should buy of few of these and hold on to them? You never know.

Thanks again for the tips
Windchaser

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 05:14:16 am »

Guys,
I wanted to post a few pictures of the Yamaha, now completed with the full crew on board!
Best
Windchaser

Robert Davies

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 08:56:22 am »

The crew really set the yacht off nicely....

I won't mention the anti-gravity gear the standing chap must be wearing in the third 'heeled over' pic! - but seriously, it's a problem for all of our 'dynamic' models with static figures on them.

Looking again, that yacht of yours is really well finished  :-)

-Rob

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 04:16:22 pm »

Lovely job
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 04:50:40 pm »

It is amazing the things Velcro can do! Might be a nice idea for a new deck shoe? Thank you for your
kind remarks.

Since completing the Yamaha, I started a new project, a Carbon Fiber Edition 1M Seawind. 
I may post a few pictures on a new thread to get some input from others regarding the things they
have done to improve their boats performance.

It is interesting to compare the differences in design of the two boat and how that translated to their performance
in different conditions.

I was told the Seawinds are modeled after America's Cup boats, not after one particular Yacht, whereas
the Yamaha is a scale model of a real boat designed by Farr Yacht designs, that actually participated and won the 1993-94 Whitbread RTW race.
Might explain why the Yamaha handles heavy winds better than the Seawind. That is not to say the Seawind is not a good sailing boat, it is, but perfers
the lighter winds to the heavy stuff. (Think the rudder is undersized a bit for the amount of sail area)

Since first seeing a friend's Yamaha, I became interested in learning what I could about the real racing Yacht. I have developed some
good data but am still searching. I have learned their were actually two boats made, one for practice and the other for the actual
race. Interestingly, they both raced in the same race. The winning boat was Shippered by a well known champion Ross Field, the other
boat was teamed by an all female crew. The rest is history. If I tell you how the female team did, it might seem I was a bit of a male chauvinist. ok2
I will say that the guys won, and the girls didn't.

I 've included a couple of photos of the two boats together which illustrate some of the differences in design.
Be well "mates"
Windchaser

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 09:17:12 pm »

Sailing this last weekend yielded a nice photo to add to the thread and for those who might be interested in sourcing a 1/20 scale crew for their yacht - consider the Tamiya Tire Changing crew or their Pit Crew. They sell for about $9.00 USD from Tower Hobbies in the U.S.
Considering they are almost identical for the Tamiya racing crew sold by Tamiya back in the mid to late 90s that sold for $44 USD and now if you can find them sell for as high as $150 USD.

The require painting and assembly and just a little tweaking, but turn out as close as you could ask for. Let me know if you need any more information.

Windchaser

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 09:46:48 pm »

Here is a set painted awaiting assembly

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 22 queries.