Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TALE AND VALUE OF WD-40  (Read 5525 times)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
THE TALE AND VALUE OF WD-40
« on: February 10, 2010, 09:26:36 pm »

Truly amazing!

A lady got up very early one morning, and went outside to pick up the Sunday paper, she noticed someone had sprayed red paint all round the sides of the neighbour's brand-new beige truck.   She went over, woke him up, and gave him the  bad news. He was, of course, extremely upset, and they stood there trying  to figure out what could be done about the problem. They decided that  there wasn't much recourse but to wait till Monday, since nothing was open.  Just then, another neighbour came out of his  house, surveyed the situation, got his WD-40, and cleaned the red paint off with it.  Guess What! It cleaned that paint off without harming the original paint on the truck! I'm impressed!!

Water Displacement #40. The product began with a search for rust preventative solvent and de-greaser to protect Missile parts. WD-40 was created in 1953 by three technicians at San Diego Rocket Chemical Company.

Its name comes from the project that was to find a water-displacement compound. They were successful with the fortieth formulation: thus, "WD-40".

The Corvair Company bought it in bulk to protect their Atlas missile parts. Kenneth East (one of the original founders) says that there is nothing in WD-40 that would hurt you...' "IT IS MADE FROM FISH OIL".

When you read the 'shower door' part, try it.  It's the first thing that has ever cleaned that spotty shower door. If yours is plastic, it works as well as on glass. It is a miracle! Then try it on your stovetop... It is now shinier than it has ever been before.

(1) It protects silver from tarnishing.
(2) Removes road-tar and grime from cars.
(3) Cleans and lubricates guitar strings.
(4) Gives floors that `just-waxed` sheen without making it slippery.
(5) Keeps flies off cows.
(6) Restores and cleans chalkboards.
(7) Removes lipstick-stains.
(8) Loosens stubborn zippers.
(9) Untangles jewelry chains.
(10) Removes stains from stainless steel sinks.
(11) Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill.
(12) Keeps ceramic/terra-cotta garden pots from oxidizing.
(13) Removes tomato stains from clothing.
(14) Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots.
(15) Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors.*
(16) Keeps scissors working smoothly.
(17) Lubricates noisy door-hinges on vehicles and doors in homes
(18) It removes black scuff-marks from the kitchen floor! (Open some windows if you have many marks).
(19) Bug guts will eat away the finish on your car, but can be removed quickly with WD-40.
20) Gives a children's play-gym slide a shine for a super fast slide.
(21) Lubricates gear shift on lawn mowers.
(22) Rids children's rocking chairs and swings of squeaky noises.
(23) Lubricates tracks in sticking windows, and makes them easier to open.
(24) Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close.
(25) Restores and cleans padded-leather dashboards in vehicles, and vinyl bumpers.
(26) Restores and cleans roof racks.
(27 ) Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans.
(28) Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons, and bicycles for easy handling.
(29) Lubricates fan-belts on washers and dryers, and keeps them running smoothly.
(30) Keeps rust from forming on saws, saw-blades, and other tools..
(31) Removes splattered grease on stoves.
(32) Keeps bathroom mirrors from fogging.
(33) Lubricates prosthetic limbs.
(34) Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell).
(35) Removes all traces of duct tape.
(36) Can be sprayed it on one's arms, hands and knees to relieve arthritic pain.
(37) Florida's favorite use----"Cleans love-bugs from grills and bumpers.'
(38) Protects the Statue of Liberty from the elements (who, for goodness' sake is going to spray it on that?).
(39) WD-40 attracts fish. Spray a LITTLE on bait or lures, and you will catch the big one in no time.
(40) Takes the sting from ant-bites immediately, and stops the itch.
(41) WD-40 is great for removing crayon- marks from walls.. Spray on the mark, and wipe with a clean rag.
(42) If you've washed and dried a tube of lipstick with a load of laundry, saturate the lipstick-spots with WD-40, and Hey Presto! The lipstick is gone!
(43) If you spray WD-40 on the distributor-cap, it will displace the moisture, and allow the car to start.
(44) Keep a can of WD-40 in your kitchen-cabinet.
It is good for oven burns, or any other type of burn.

You might want to copy this and hang it inside your kitchen cabinet for quick reference....also your garage and laundry area.

It takes away the burned feeling, and heals with NO scarring. Remember, the basic ingredient is FISH OIL.

I have also heard that spraying it on arthritic joints helps to relieve pain as confirmed by somebody Mike knows!!! 

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
Re: THE TALE AND VALUE OF WD-40
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 11:03:31 pm »

It's great stuff to have around, but I'm not sure about using it for all that lot - never thought of most of them!

I have to disagree with the 'lubricates' entries, though. It's a solvent, not a lubricant. It evaporates and leaves you back where you were, or worse, leaves a sticky residue.

Wearing my 'other hat' I often have to advise people to keep the stuff well away from the insides of their vintage Hammond organs. A quick squirt might be useful to help free a sticking 'tone wheel' but some people try to lube the whole system with it and they come a cropper later on!

Hammond Oil is the only lubricant for the Hammond, and I guess I'd use gear oil, 3 in 1 or whatever on the bike, lawn mower etc etc

Andy
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 11:45:14 pm »

The waxy residue does have some lubricating properties, but not all situations require the same sort of lube.  Where "stiction" doesn't matter, it works.  Where subsequent glueing of dust into the treated area doesn't matter, its OK.  Where heavy use is not expected, it will be OK.  Where you don't want light action parts glued together, using WD40 will doom you to a thorough cleaning job.  Thinking an early computer keypad.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 12:05:30 am »

Would never have thought to use on ceramics or clothing. Or animals, I wonder if it will polish the cat.

Brilliant on door locks.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 12:43:39 am »

...Hi Guys...

Another good usefor WD40 is to spray it onto flat surfaces that may be used for snorting a certain white powder...

It makes the line of powder stick to the surface and makes it difficult to be snorted up...

And before you ask I am not a user of such powders...I am trained in Pub Management...

...Best Regards...Norry...
...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 08:56:41 am »

Stops grass bits  sticking to the inside/underside of hover mowers

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 09:57:55 am »

Removes sticky label adhesive.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 11:23:33 am »

Wrecks the brushes in electric motors and causes the commutator to become clogged with carbon residue.... don't spray your motors with it! You can recover the motor by cleaning with a de-greasing solvent though.
Otherwise, a good product for a lot of jobs but when it comes to sticky or rusted nuts and bolts, 3 in one oil mixed with parrafin does the same job. :-))

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 11:58:30 am »

This clever stuff is deliberately  not patented - but H & S legislation around the globe obliged the manufacturer to identify substance hazards to users .......

http://www.wd40.co.uk/media/adobe/2/0/WD-40_aerosol_MSDS.pdf
http://www.wd40.co.uk/media/adobe/a/t/WD-40_bulk_MSDS.pdf

Fish oil? :o - Don't spray it on your cat's food - pure myth....... it's a perfumed cocktail made from petroleum distillates. (Thank god they swopped carbon dioxide for the original lpg propellant.)
I used to to use my 'dragon's breath' cocktail to resurrect my 'bangers' on cold wet mornings. Another fine can of rejuvenator  delivered a solid blast of 'Damp Start'.......fired into the air intake of my tired chariots.... Ben Hur eat your heart out. :}
Both cans gather dust yet, in my garage to fire up  reluctant members of the family fleet. I fondly remember the 'dawn chorus' on wet/winter mornings and could identify the seperate/distinct sounds of each car manufacturers starter motors grinding away................... nostalgia %)

USER BEWARE ............................ Read the desructions/warnings on the can.  ok2

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 03:14:39 pm »

Yes, it does go bang in an engine too, it also improves the performance of an air rifle. A quick squirt behind the pellet will really make it go bang for a couple of shots and the projectile will definately travel further and faster than normal,followed by a cloud of blue smoke. It will also make the pellet penetrate cans and such which it would only dent beforehand, the compression ignites it and it expands like fury.

Dreadstar

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 05:35:25 pm »

One of the fastest ways known to destroy your piston sear though. :((

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 05:56:59 pm »

Yes, it does go bang in an engine too, it also improves the performance of an air rifle. A quick squirt behind the pellet will really make it go bang for a couple of shots and the projectile will definately travel further and faster than normal,followed by a cloud of blue smoke. It will also make the pellet penetrate cans and such which it would only dent beforehand, the compression ignites it and it expands like fury.

At the risk of being branded a nerd - this does work but it wrecks the accuracy, better less more consistent power to improve groupings!  - go on then brand me!

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 07:03:28 pm »

During the early 1980s our aircraft techies would use a bucket of this stuff with a sponge to wash down the aircraft after flying low over salt water. Not long afterwards this practice was the subject of a DCI (Defence Council Instruction) stating that that WD40 should NOT be allowed to be used or come into contact with skin as it had (has) carcinogenic properties. Bear that in mind. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 08:12:42 pm »

Interesting, not according to this though

http://www.wd40.co.uk/media/adobe/2/0/WD-40_aerosol_MSDS.pdf

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 08:33:51 pm »

Hi Turb, yes indeed, we soon found out the accuracy went right down but at short range it was pretty punchy. Because of the possibility of seal problems we only limited this kind of fun to one off now and then...... but it's pretty impressive.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 10:06:51 pm »

Apparently a mix of acetone and old brake fluid makes an anti seize compound par excellance.

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2010, 10:16:14 pm »

Hi Turb, yes indeed, we soon found out the accuracy went right down but at short range it was pretty punchy. Because of the possibility of seal problems we only limited this kind of fun to one off now and then...... but it's pretty impressive.

My step dad told me that as kids they would fill slugs with Aeroplane Dope & leave to set, this would have the same explosive effect when fired, tried it once & got flames out of the barrel so we stopped that practise! - Not forgotten my boat Chris, will call you tomorrow.

omra85

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2010, 10:17:44 pm »

'Damp Start'.......fired into the air intake of my tired chariots

Also fired into the intake of a glow model engine on cold mornings - many years ago!!
Blisters from the starting cord were a worse hazard the the carcinogens ....  %)
Danny

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 03:10:10 am »

During the early 1980s our aircraft techies would use a bucket of this stuff with a sponge to wash down the aircraft after flying low over salt water. Not long afterwards this practice was the subject of a DCI (Defence Council Instruction) stating that that WD40 should NOT be allowed to be used or come into contact with skin as it had (has) carcinogenic properties. Bear that in mind. BY.

I can envisage someone at the MOD asking, "how can we stop the lads using WD40, its costing too much". Answered by some misinformation.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 09:51:02 pm »

Blimey who would have thought a little can could solve so much    :-))

(I have copied the list of course)  %)
Steamed up all the time

craftysod

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2010, 10:23:05 pm »

Sprayed it on missus,didnt cure her ailments,but she slid to kitchen quicker  O0

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2010, 10:37:42 pm »

Blimey who would have thought a little can could solve so much    :-))

(I have copied the list of course)  %)
You will probably need several cans if you intend to work through the entire list.  :}
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

knoby

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2010, 10:42:04 pm »

spraying it on my missus caused me acute pain to the groin area !!! OUCH !!! <:(

craftysod

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2010, 10:53:50 pm »

spraying it on my missus caused me acute pain to the groin area !!! OUCH !!! 

should be fine in morning,as it is a lubricant  {-)

Nordsee

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2010, 05:21:12 pm »

Also fired into the intake of a glow model engine on cold mornings - many years ago!!
Blisters from the starting cord were a worse hazard the the carcinogens ....  %)
Danny

I used to use it as After Run on my 'plane engines, Dodgy!! Turn the engine over just a bit sharpish and the damn thing would fire! especially 4 strokes! with a 90 OS, not an action to be repeated.That is a big propellor to muck about with. So then I used WS 40 but took the plugs out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.