Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Barking Park..  (Read 2362 times)

zetec

• Full Mayhemer
Barking Park..
« on: December 17, 2006, 08:39:38 am »

In the summer I went to Barking Park in east London with the kids. There is a very large lake running for several hundred yards running down one side. The largest section is given over to ducks and geese with some islands, and on this section they have some little petrol powered motorboats for hire. The first section of the lake which is split from the main part by a concrete boom looks like a boating lake with a small hut and slipway. Does anyone know if there is a club that uses it? If not it is a real pity as it would make a great club site and poss even get away with IC engines as the small motorboats are petrol.

Any feed back anyone?

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Barking Park..
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 06:14:43 pm »

Hi zetec,

I lived just up the road from this pond in the early eighties. (Ilford Lane)

I sailed my yacht there most Sundays, and never saw another modeller.

There is/was another good sized lake, I think it was called Maysbrook Park, just along the road towards Ilford/Goodmays I think.
 Same era and never saw a boat on that either. Although I believe it was used by a club previously.

In the sixties I used to sail on the small pond at Whipps Cross, not the main rowing boat lake. but the little one on the Snaresbrook side. This topic was gone over in detail on the old Model Boats forum.
There used also to be a large concrete pond on Wanstead flats, but I was told that has been filled in and built on.

Bob

dobkmcm

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 06:22:55 pm »

Dear Zetic

Bob is absolutely correct in his post relating to Barking Park.

the maysbrook club cease to operate approx 6 years ago. It was down to about 3-4 members at that time. The club used to operate from Maysbrook park on Sunday mornings And from Barking on Thursday afternoons. There was a small hut at the Barking lake which was part of the clubwhere equipment for courses was stored. both venues had excellent parkinf facilities and the local council were very helpful towards in dealings with the club.
I did hear in 2006 that some ex members were trying to re start the club again but I have not heard any more on the subject. I do have the name and Address of the last club secretary if you are interested in any more info.

Mike

chingdevil

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 08:51:50 pm »

You could start a southern area Mayhem Model Boat Club, with Martins permission to use the name of course. Could be handy for the next Mayhem day out.

The other Brian ;) ;) ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.