Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: medals  (Read 5610 times)

regiment

medals
« on: February 11, 2010, 07:10:40 pm »

how do these mps qualify for the afghanistan medal when spending only one day there

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Re: medals
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 07:31:04 pm »

Is that really true?
I have various UN things that are given out only after "a time" spent under their auspice. I've never considered these baubles to be of any merit whatsoever. Only those who've actually been shot at and so on could wear them with any pride. If the statement is really true then it only further demeans the presentation to those much more deserving. Shame on them (and those who devised such a programme). BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 08:06:58 pm »

You have to wonder about the likes of Chas Windsor & Co who have wardrobes full of uniforms, chests full of medals and yet have never heard a shot fired in anger (except for the grouse moor). Each Remembrance Day they are quick to leave before the real veterans march by.  >:-o

Barry M

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 08:28:43 pm »

I think you will find that Chas Windsor is the only male Windsor other than William or Edward that hasn't served under fire.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 08:32:15 pm »

I'm curious - apart from the Chooky Embra - who were the others?

Barry M

wbeedie

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 08:51:46 pm »

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 08:55:39 pm »

Duke of York 22 years in the Royal Navy as a helicopter pilot, served in the Falklands

Duke of Kent served with the Royal Scots Greys, commanded a squadron of his regiment in Cyprus when the Greeks and Turks were fighting over it.

Prince Harry served with The Household Cavalry, and served in Afghanistan.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 10:42:11 pm »

The Queen had a short stint in the ATS training as a mechanic during the war. Probably not enough to earn a medal but she might be able to suggest a solution to your driveline problems...

Colin

DARLEK1

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 10:51:13 pm »

This realy p*^&%s me off guys, I have been through four wars, been shot at in three of them and got a medal for all four plus others for service in conflict zones, why? I say WHY? Do they give them to none coms? I actually got shot in my right leg and back in Desert storm. This rubbish just does not make sence. YEAH, Before anyone asks Falklands, Gulf, Bosnia, Gulf.

Paul...

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 10:54:35 pm »

Dicky,

Fairy Nuff Andy served in the Falklands but the credit he - quite rightly - built up there has been squandered by his lifestyle since.
Duke of Kent? I'm unsure what he got up to in Cyprus but I'll give you that too and Harry did a stint until yanked out but that leaves Eddie (ex-short term marine who seems to have acquired a naval uniform), assorted other Dukes and hangers-on plus Anne with her Gilbert & Sullivan rig-out.

Sorry if I've offended your Royalist sympathies, we're all entitled to our views, but the recent pictures of Chuck dressed in desert camo while dishing out medals to men who have real reason to wear theirs with pride while for him it's just another uniform of many plucked from his wardrobe, sticks in my craw.  

Barry M

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 11:46:25 pm »

I have to agree with Paul that medals should be earned and not just bestowed due to 'rank'. It devalues the bravery of those who have really earned them.

I'm sure that Princes William & Harry (particularly the latter) are keen to serve, but their station makes them a danger to themselves and everyone around them.

Gordon Brown should lead the assault!

Colin

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 12:02:44 am »

Colin - that reminds me of "All quiet on the western front" where the recruits argued that all wars should be fought by the politicians slugging it out with pillows on the greasy pole!

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 08:46:19 am »

I understand that Willie & Harry are both training as helicopter pilots; Willie with an eye to a SAR role and Harry in something less specific.

If neither is to be involved in anything risky how will this work out in practice? SAR crews by the very nature of their jobs have to be prepared to take a greater share of risk and push the boundaries of operations. Will Willie only be sent on 'safe' rescues or grounded above certain (low) wind speeds? 

Will Harry be employed as a ferry pilot or will both only use their training to drop in on girlfriends or ferry their Uncle Andy around golf courses?  %)

Regards

Barry M

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 10:28:06 am »

I think the problem with Harry, as has been pointed out, because of the nature of the enemy he is too big a target in his own right and would actually cause serious problems to the Army he serves with. Charlie was a captian in the tupperware navy who by thier nature were not involved in NI, when Charlie was doing his main stint.

As for the other royals. They are figure heads e.g. Colonel in Chief, of many regiments. The role is symbolic, and historic, and important to the regiments, even if not to some of those who serve.

But politicians who just fly in and fly out should not get a gong. They sould be like others and serve a tour of duty in a war zone in order to get the gong. It is also important to remember that there are two types of medal. Those for being there, and those for valour.
Many servicemen and ex-servicemen I have known have been a bit embarrassed with gongs for just being there.

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 01:12:11 pm »

Not Tupperware TT
Bronington was made of wood!
Before the Tupperware ships were launched

Yours Aye
Ned
Ex Soberton,Echo and Woodlark
(wooden ships iron men!)
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

bigH

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2010, 02:10:27 pm »

I don't know if you realise that our SAR (air) are being sold to a French (Wash your mouth out ) company
The air sea rescue Heli's are to be reduced from 40 plus to 20 and will be ex for Sikorsky birds.
How long before we will have a disaster ???????????   {:-{  bigH

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 02:34:38 pm »

There was something on the local news about
Leconfields SAR Flight being Privatised/Civillianised
'Nothing will change' sayeth a 'Spokesman'
Oh Yeah?

Yours Aye
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 02:40:39 pm »

Ha! I smell a plot to get Willie out of flying SAR!  <*<   Do the Windsor's have shares in the new operators?
Unless of course Willie is going to be privatised and have to work for a living or is all the training he's getting at taxpayers expense going to be wasted?  

And what will Andy use to get him to/from the golf course?

The Public - sorry Subjects - must be told.  >>:-(

Barry M

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 05:46:37 pm »

I don't know if you realise that our SAR (air) are being sold to a French (Wash your mouth out ) company
The air sea rescue Heli's are to be reduced from 40 plus to 20 and will be ex for Sikorsky birds.
How long before we will have a disaster ???????????   {:-{  bigH

CHC Scotia have  been running the coast guard helicopters for some time down here.

wbeedie

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 06:12:25 pm »

Its Bristows up here in Scotland that run th CG and a dam good job they do I know from personal exp[erienceand so do many others when Lossie or Gannet cant respond due to the areas involved

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2010, 06:15:37 pm »

How long before we will have a disaster ???????????   {:-{  bigH

you are wrong there bigH it's worse the consotrium that will be running the SAR helicopters will include Thales, sikorsky and........RBS yes the same bank that cant even sort it's self out
will be running the SAR helicopters. I hope the first person that needs rescued is the same "xxxxx" that came up with this plan

It is interesting to note that the Dept of transport has lead the way for this plan/ disaster but the MoD hasn't agree to it yet although it has been anounced as a done deal

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/DefencePolicyAndBusiness/NewUkSearchAndRescueProviderChosen.htm

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2010, 03:32:09 pm »

Perhaps Edward (the Duke of a non-existent county) got a Naval uniform when he became Colonel in Chief or something of the RFA a couple of years ago. Personally, I'd have preferred the Princess Royal, she seems to take the various jobs quite seriously. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

rob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2010, 04:39:34 pm »

I'm sure that Princes William & Harry (particularly the latter) are keen to serve, but their station makes them a danger to themselves and everyone around them

Its not their station that makes  them a danger........ they are just like every other young new officer ( and i count myself to have been one)
A DANGER TO EVERYONE.
in my own little world

wbeedie

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2010, 04:47:20 pm »

I'm sure that Princes William & Harry (particularly the latter) are keen to serve, but their station makes them a danger to themselves and everyone around them

Its not their station that makes  them a danger........ they are just like every other young new officer ( and i count myself to have been one)
A DANGER TO EVERYONE.
Young officers are a danger anyway  ;D everywhere need to listen to the troops ,no offence Rob p[lenty have brains but lack a common sense needed on the field of battle ,we were lucky our Lt gave us the same as the SAS , He spelled out whatever was neeeded done and then listened to the boys with experience  gave ideas on hw to fulfil the operation and he learned along the way and it made him a better officer for it and a lot more respect from the Jocks serving under him

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2010, 05:16:58 pm »

Until the 19th Century, a Saxe-Coburg-Battenberg-Mountbatten-Windsor or the equivalent might well find himself in the firing line and not that much earlier Kings were expected to put themselves about on the battlefield. Then it all changed and suddenly their lives were more important than any other mother's son (or daughter). If they are not going to serve where the guns are real and loaded why are they being trained at the taxpayers expense and what right do they have to wear uniform? (Don't tell me they are 'figureheads'; figureheads are only found in museums.)

Barry M
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.