Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PS RYDE PETITION  (Read 1535 times)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
PS RYDE PETITION
« on: February 14, 2010, 10:36:11 pm »

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to do everything possible to prevent the proposed imminent scrapping of the historic paddle steamer Ryde on the Isle of Wight. Ryde is one of only 200 vessels on the register of historic vessels. A veteran of World War II, and one of few remaining Paddle Steamers in the UK. The ship has been inspected by a shipyard and deemed viable for restoration. A Conservation Plan has been drawn up, and a Trust set up to steer its rescue and conservation, for which funding seems likely to be available. We further petition to put legislation in hand to safeguard Ryde and similar historic vessels by law, by introducing protection such as is available for historic buildings. At present, short-term economic interests are overwhelmingly destructive to the conservation of ships. Britain is a historically seafaring nation and should be proud to preserve, display and operate surviving historic vessels, as glories in themselves, tourist attractions and educational tools for future generations. Once restored, Ryde will bring long-term economic benefit and civic pride to the communities it serves.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/PSRyde/#detail
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: PS RYDE PETITION
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 10:39:00 pm »

And another.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 10:59:22 pm »

Petition signed.

John

knoby

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 11:12:58 pm »

me too  :-))

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 11:26:48 pm »

Sorry Richard, but the Ryde is a total no hoper. I have been watching her deteriorate for years and she is now just a heap of scrap iron as these pics taken in October show. All her plates are eaten through with corrosion and the people who think she can be saved are simply deluding themselves. it would be easier and cheaper to buy a set of the original plans from the National Maritime Museum and build a new ship which effectively what is being done with the Medway Queen. It's a shame as I can remember sailing on her on a number of occasions. She passed the point of no return many years ago although it might just still be possible to save her engines.

The conservation group are also totally unrealistic in suggesting that she be returned to service in the Solent. The Waverley is only just clinging on by the skin of her teeth financially and she has the whole of the UK to draw upon. To suggest that the Solect area communities could support a restored Ryde is just living in cloud cockoo land. The Southsea would have been a more viable option but there was no local support for her either.

Anyway, I recently heard that demolition has already begun.

Colin

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 10:30:22 pm »

The poor old Clearway was in far better nick, and they scrapped her.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.