Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z-Poxy  (Read 6890 times)

AlanP

Z-Poxy
« on: February 06, 2010, 08:58:15 pm »

I am about to put a coating of Z-poxy Finishing Resin on the hull of an airboat, but have never used this stuff before. So if anyone could give me advice/tips on working with this stuff it would be appreciated.  :-))  The hull has already been coated with dope and sanding sealer.

Alan

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: Z-Poxy
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 09:45:31 pm »

I've used it without much problem. The usual advice about not mixing too much at a time as it stops being workable after 5 - 10 minutes as I recall. I also found that as I worked I had to be careful not to drip it every where. So that's work fast but be careful not to drop drips all over the place. That said I first used it inside the house and SWMBO didn't even notice, not even the smell.

I used it with glass tissue and found the tissue seemed to shrink coming in contact with the wet resin so allow plenty oversize when cutting the tissue.

HTH

Doug
Don't Assume Check

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 09:56:35 pm »

are you using fine cloth with it ?if you are its easy you just lay the cloth on the dry hull pour a small amount on then use something similar to a credit cart to squeegee it in keep spreading till it is dry then pour a bit more on and do another area start in the middle and work out, you just need enough to make it translucent and no more, you can give a second coat as soon as it is dry don't wait to long just spread with a card, if you brush it on or put it on thick you will have hours of sanding , look at some of the old posts of a chap doing a hydroplane on hear,

this is a good read.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329811

Peter

AlanP

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 01:48:56 pm »

Thanks very much for the advice  :-)) I will be having a go at it in the near future.

Thanks again
Alan

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 04:57:12 pm »

Hi Alan

Not wanting to disagree with HS93 - Peter - but, I have used Z-Epoxy finishing quite a lot.  I find that I have between 15-20 minutes working time from it, if it is mixed correctly.  

Where I disagree with Peter, is, if you pour the resin on top of the cloth - you will trap air underneath the cloth and it will be very difficult to remove it.  Apply the Epoxy first onto the hull and then lay the cloth over the top and work the resin through the cloth.   Only do once section at a time - do one side, then do say half a side along the keel and this way it gives you  ample time to work the Epoxy resin through the cloth.   You have no need to wait until the Epoxy goes 'off' before you move onto the next.bit.

I have included 2 pictures of the RTTL hull, this has 3 coats of Z-Epoxy on it; first 2 coats were rubbed right back and the 3rd coat gives the finishing coat.

There is no cloth involved in this, as the hull construction is double-diagonally planked.

I do hope this helps.

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

AlanP

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 05:20:44 pm »

aye John, thats the stuff, I can see it in the first pic.   The hull is an air boat and has already been tissued and a few coats of sanding sealer, I wanted the coating of Z-Poxy to give it a hard smooth finish. 
Thanks for your comments John.

Alan

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 08:03:51 pm »

It must be the way you do it john, I have no problem at all nor does the chap in the link where I got the idea, each to there own the way i do it you get a very smooth Finnish and light weight, there is a much better product to use

http://www.deluxematerials.co.uk/pages/clothsandresins.htm   the AEROPOXY

by the way what is the drying time on your Z poxy  ? as they do some with a short time, I think it is a bit thick unless the weather is very warm and can give a toffee Finnish if you not carfull

Peter

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 08:24:16 pm »

Hi there

The way I do mine, is the way I was trained by McNulty Boat Builders and also they were one of the first in Great Britain to use the West System - and that can be a thick epoxy to work with.

The drying time for the z-epoxy I use is two hours according to the box, the instructions on the box say allow the finishing resin to harden for up to six hours before handling.  Just reading the back the instructions state:

'To apply fibre glass cloth cut fibreglass to the desired shape and size.  Allow a small amount of excess.   Spread a thin coat thoroughly of Z-epoxy finishing resin, over the area to be covered.   One coat is usually sufficient.   Carefully lay the cloth into position and allow a short time for the finishing resin to saturate the cloth.  Then using a soft, plastic spreader, lightly smooth any wrinkles/bubbles which may appear in the cloth - and remove any excess finishing resin'

hey sounds brilliant in theory.....and on the front of the box.....it states IT CURES IN THREE HOURS  ;) :-)) :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 08:30:49 pm »

yes but that was a long time ago and things change,  I didn't think Z-poxy was out then.we are talking z-poxy aren't we ?

and things have moved on since then anyway , you use yours , ill use mine and if you don't like it tough, people do find ways to do things better , did you know they have been to the moon? %%

I forgot John is always right.  {-)

peter

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 08:37:39 pm »

hahha you got that one wrong Peter

Mrs Bluebird is always right  :police: :police: :police: <*< <*< :embarrassed: :embarrassed:  I just pretend to try and get em right - and been to the moon - aye but have they been to Whitley Bay yet?  %% %% %%

aye
john

ps ... see Ive even spelt Z-Epoxy wrong - when it should have been Z-Poxy but whats an E between friends....eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

AlanP

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 09:40:33 pm »

Now then lads, I was only after a bit of advice, not to start a poxy war  >>:-(

:}

Alan

787Eng

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 12:09:20 pm »

This Finnish on a sheeted balsa wing was achieved with 2 coats of west system epoxy.
As with any model airplane extra weight is poison so light weight finishes are whats required.

My process is to use 3/4oz fiber cloth that is fully whetted (use a stiff brush and stipple) so that it sticks to the surface of the balsa then remove ALL excess resin buy using old business cards and then rolling with a roll of toilet paper. after the first coat is dry. Apply enough resin to fill the weave if the cloth. then start sanding until the weave just starts to appear.

Bake the finished product in the sun (if you can find some in the UK) as epoxy shrinks for months after its initial cure and you will start to see the wood joints and wood grain (Trust me) especially if its a dark paint job.
Next step is to use a automotive primer filler and apply with a brush and get it on good and thick, sand till the wood/glass starts to show

Sparay your under coat and top coat of paint....

AlanP

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 12:16:59 pm »

Thanks for that 787, interesting about the shrinkage  :-)) 

One hell of a finish on that plane

Alan
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.