Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Half marathon training.  (Read 1151 times)

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
Half marathon training.
« on: February 17, 2010, 10:47:04 pm »

Being in my  early dotage  O0 I go out running or more correctly a brisk jog every 3rd day. Presently the longest distance in any one run is about 6 miles in around 57 minutes (use a stop watch). Ive been doing this for years so dont consider myself a health risk at taking on half marathon distance. Im not a speed merchant either.

I'd love to do the Great North Run but each year's entry seems to close before the previous year's run starts!

All the training plans I find on line for a half marathon 'beginner' have you doing less mileage than I am now. It isnt until you get to about week 6 or 7 that the plan has someone doing my kind of mileage. So, I looked at intermediate half marathon plans and they have you doing reps 3 or 4 times during your run, Not much use to me as I dont particularly want to go running with 'eyes bulging.'

What I want is a plan to take me from running currently a maximum of 6 miles in one run up to 13 miles in about 12 weeks.

Does anyone know of a suitable half marathon training plan?

des321

Re: Half marathon training.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 08:19:32 pm »

Hi,
I have been an endurance athlete and runner for over 20 years. I am now retired from all that due to arthritis. I offer the following suggestions:
1. If you are happy with your pace of around 10 min per mile and don't want to go faster then no need to bother with interval training. Though I have to say it really does work in terms of allowing you to achieve a faster pace for longer. And you don't need more than a couple of months, three times a week to make significant progress. But it is hard!

2. You need to vary your runs in terms of terrain (flat, hills), your pace and distance. If you are going to run three times per week don't do the same thing each time. Your 6 miles in 57 mins is a good base run. Try making another run more of a speed play with some hills. Work a bit harder than your steady run for a couple of minutes and then recover with slow running or even walking for half a minute. As you get fitter the efforts become a bit longer and the rests a bit shorter.

3. The most important run is your weekly long run. You must increase from 6 miles, say by one mile per week until you reach 13 miles. YES you really should have run the distance before the event!  The GOOD news is you can slow down. Your long runs are about time on your feet, not speed. So you can run these long runs at 11 min per mile, which will seem easy. This is what we want. Make sure your last long run (13 miles) is 2 weeks before the event. Reduce your mileage in the last 2 weeks, but not the frequency.

You will then start the race full of confidence and ability.

Good luck!

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 11:28:40 pm »

Cheers and thanks for that. I've not yet actually found a half marathon to run in, maybe the GNR 2011 if I make the ballot!

Basically, I want to train to run the distance so yeah, Im not too bothered about the time. I just cant do reps and distance, the reps take it out of me. So I think a steady increase in mileage is the way. Unfortunately where I live doesnt have any nearby hills. Cant have everything I guess.

Thanks for the suggestions.

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 04:16:08 pm »

There are two half marathons in Sussex, one you will not be able to do this year as it is next Sunday in Brighton, saw the advertising when at last weeks Brighton ModelWorld. The other is at Barns Green near Horsham but not sure of the date on this one, maybe you can Google it.
Alan
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.