Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FIRE MONITOR FOR MOORCOCK-DHULLIA-AVENGER  (Read 2645 times)

FIRPARK

FIRE MONITOR FOR MOORCOCK-DHULLIA-AVENGER
« on: February 18, 2010, 08:31:46 pm »

Hi--Can anyone please help with a drawing or detailed photo of the fire monitor used on the Moorcock. It may have been a Merryweather, but the drawings I have are very poor and lack detail. It appears to two hand wheels--was one to control the water flow, and the other for the monitor angle?
Thanks
firpark

tugmad

Re: FIRE MONITOR FOR MOORCOCK-DHULLIA-AVENGER
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 08:40:17 pm »

I Have cropped this from a picture of the Hibernia I hope it helps, but in practice they were always kept covered unless wanted .Hibernia's faced aft and the Avenger's faced foward.oncethe two were painted in the same livery.

tugmad

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 08:49:33 pm »

Here is another one a bit grainy I am afraid

FIRPARK

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 11:13:58 pm »

Hi
Thanks very much for comming back to me so quickly, the photos have been a great help. The monitors  look to have one wheel valve for water flow-- low down on the stanchion. Would you think that the upper wheel locked the monitor rotation? How did they control the elevation?
Thanks again for your help
firpark

tugmad

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 07:55:04 am »

Halfway down the Riser was a geared electric motor you can just make out the watertight covers, this controlled rotation from the wheelhouse, once elevation was set the platform was cleared, a bit old fashiond but not bad for the times.

FIRPARK

Re: WHEELHOUSE FITTINGS MOORCOCK-DHULLIA-AVENGER
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 11:09:54 pm »

Hi--Can anyone please help with a drawing or detailed photo of the wheel house and bridge on the Moorcock. I expect that it would have had Radar-Decca-Depth finder-- long and short wave RT sets etc.--but where would they have been fixed?  Can  someone please let me know where I can get, or how to make small 1-24th--radar screens-radio dials-compass cards etc?
Thanks
firpark
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 20 queries.