Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Eagle plans - 4 motors - New member seeking assistance  (Read 3431 times)

peeldy

HMS Eagle plans - 4 motors - New member seeking assistance
« on: March 05, 2010, 09:40:44 am »

Hi
I have just joined the forum and am currently scrathbuilding a 6ft plus model of the aircraft carrier HMS Eagle (1940) which was converted from a Chilean battleship.
I have been building models boats for about 30 years but to be honest I enjoy building more than I do sailing them and have thrown a number of boats away not long after they were built and given their maiden voyage as w there was not much space to store them when completed.

Eagle is a brute of a model and I haven't yet figured how I am going to get it into the back of my car to take it to the local pond to sail it but the good thing about model making is that you have to adapt to every problem you come across. May take a time for the grey matter to get there now but it will come eventually.

This is my first model with 4 screws and it is my intention to run all four but would welcome some pointers on setting this up , ie how many speed controllers etc and the best engines to use . The model is going to weigh about 15 - 20 kilos and it has 4 x 25 mm , 3 bladed brass props to keep in scale with the actual size of the props which were on the real ship. 

The ship is being built from the actual admiralty plans which were purchased from the NMM as I couldn't find model plans for her anywhere. As far as I am aware, no one has built this ship  before as I have scoured the internet but couldn't find any other models but would be interested if anyone knows of another.
Thanks. Great to be here {:-{

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
Re: HMS Eagle plans - 4 motors - New member seeking assistance
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 11:53:54 am »

You might be interested in these 1930s postcard images

Rick

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 12:31:54 pm »

You're not going to get much in the way of useful thrust from 3-blade 25mm props on that big model, even with four motors. I would recommend trying at least 35mm props and probably using four 555 or 755 12v motors.  Quite how you control them is largely down to what you want to do and how much you're prepared to spend!
Have a wander through the wiring diagrams here, and PM me if there's nothing which suits you exactly.
http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/wd.php
FLJ

peeldy

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 01:29:14 pm »

Guys
 What a responce. Yes the model is the twin funnel one which was converted from a Chilean ordered battle ship.
Thanks to all for your info and I will take on board your advice and uprate the props and engines and check out Action Electronics.
 Thanks for the photographs also. I have most but its good to know that this forum can generate additional info.
Will upload a photograph once it receives it is finished and painted

Thanks again
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 22 queries.