Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Engel WTC  (Read 3159 times)

Jumper

Engel WTC
« on: February 19, 2010, 12:05:08 pm »

Hi all,

I think I have read most of the Engel build posts here and other sites. The common problems seem to be:

1 - Gasket
2 - Size of opening in the WTC.

Having become the owner of a part built IXD2 I am going to have to make a couple of decisions, thought I would pick the memories and minds of you guys first tho!

Knowing what you know now - would you:

Increase the size of the opening in the WTC?
Ditch the supplied gasket and use neoprene or a silicon seat?

Also -anyone know of a supplier that does the SnortMast for the D2?

Tks guys

Jumper

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Engel WTC
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 04:51:24 pm »

Hi Jumper.

These are some of the mods I have made which improve it a lot, for you perusal

Definitely ditch the gasket, not enough surface area to make an effective seal, my seal is about 1 Inch wide on each side of the hole nice and big no leaks.

I also placed some extra bolts in on the corners to give the hatch a better more uniform " pull down ".

Also ditch the Ali plate and use it as a template for some 1/4 thick Lexan so you can see into the inside to see everthing working and check for water ingress etc.

My Engle Akula's access hole is ok for size as I can remove the tanks etc ok, try a dummy run first with all the components in place and the middle deck held in place with tape and see if you can get the tanks out again.

A couple of pics of mine  for you.

Hope its of use Sub.

Jumper

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 01:38:28 pm »

Hi Sub,

Thanks for that, appreciated.  Looking at the phot, that looks like a silicon seating you have used there.  Any particular sealant you recommend?

I will be using the acrylic window and thanks for the tip on the extra bolts.

Yours aye

Jumper

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 03:08:58 pm »

hi jumper.  just stuff from b&q use white so you can see where its gone and grease the clear lid very well inc the edges. put enough silicon down to give a good thickness do this job before installing the electronics a the sealant gives off fumes when cureing that will harm the circuit boards etc.  regards sub.

Jumper

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 08:38:33 pm »

Tks Sub,

If this is getting like splitting hairs tell to go boil my head! lol - Did you change the length of the bolts to accommodate the sealant? - agree with the extra bolts for a better pull down - just like fitting a new cylinder head gasket.

Yours aye

Jumper

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 10:37:49 pm »

No worries Jumper. :-)

Yes I think I did actually buy some slightly longer bolts ( stainless steel i think ) to accomodate the thickness of the gasket and the thickness of the lexan plate, I also tapped the center plate through the metal insert to fit the bolts and put some locktight on them so they didn't come loose when tightening.

Please don't worry about asking questions as that is how we learn and avoid costly mistakes.. :-))

Regards Sub.

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 10:53:49 pm »

Whilst I have had previous positive experience of using silicone sealant as a seat, I now swear by orings for these screw down seals in boats with piston tanks. I use a 4mm dia oring with a 3mm spacer so the oring is compresseb by 1mm.

getemuphigh

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 01:36:51 pm »

Whilst I have had previous positive experience of using silicone sealant as a seat, I now swear by orings for these screw down seals in boats with piston tanks. I use a 4mm dia oring with a 3mm spacer so the oring is compresseb by 1mm.

Do you put a groove to locate the O Ring or is it just located between the two flat surfaces and then compressed to form the seal?

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 02:47:35 pm »

There is 3mm plastic card sheet where the the bolts go through and the 2 smaller bits at the ends only, to form a channel there. Oring is 4mm OD so it gets compressed down by a uniform 1mm when the bolts are tightened.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 06:06:18 pm »

Just to add to this, it's important that allow enough space/gap for the o-ring to 'squish', as rubber has virtually zero compression set, unless you use a sponge type cord (there the air in the sponge compresses). Provided you allow a gap, you will be okay.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.