Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: restoration  (Read 3583 times)

surabaya

restoration
« on: September 10, 2007, 10:45:10 pm »

Hi, I am trying to restore an old motor cruiser that I was given and have come up against a few problems. :(
 First I am not sure of the scale and second I am not sure of how it should look for the best.
It is 51 inches long, 12.5 wide and 13.5 high. It has a door in the side of the cabin that is 4.5 inch high.
Does anyone know of a good site to look for idea`s or how to roughly work out the scale.
I know that this is not much to go on, so  if someone can tell me how to post a photo, I will.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: restoration
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 09:45:54 am »

Hi there to post a photo

When you want to post them on the site you first have to check the size of them. If they total more than 256KB you have to resize them.
To resize right click your mouse on the picture.
Click on resize picture in new window.
Select a size will come up, click on small
You are now ready to go.
Enter your comments in the reply box.
Click on "Additional Options"
Click on Browse
When window opens go to your picture file and double click on the picture you want to post, the one marked [small]
You have now attached your picture.
If you want to attach another one click on "more attachment" and repeat.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 10:26:44 am »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

surabaya

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 09:27:57 pm »

Thanks to you both, now maybe I can receive some gems of advice like I have seen so often with other posts.
If as they say "2 minds are better than 1" then with all of you I cannot lose ;D

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 09:46:30 pm »

Possibly 1:12 scale with steps down into the bridge section. Might even be as small as 1:18 scale but that would make it awfully long in real life. :-\
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 09:57:46 pm »

I agree with Dicky. From your length, beam an picture it looks like a fairly typical river cruiser of its generation (1950's maybe?).
In size it is not dissimilar to "Bluebird of Chelsea", and the fittings would probably be more or less the same. You will find plenty of "Bluebirds" (of the Chelsea persuasion) on other sires on this forum. They may give you an idea or 2 about finishing the model.
Notes from a simple seaman

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 10:15:25 pm »

Hi all, If the door height is 4.5 inches and this is in keeping with the rest of the boat then take this as being 6 feet full size.  Convert to inches (72) and divide by the model size of 4.5 inches which gives a scale of 1 ; 16.  This is 3/4 inch to the foot.
This scale gives a full size boat 68 feet long and 16.66 feet wide.  Probably 1950s / 60s.

To get a feel for what a boat like this looks like full size, use the internet to find Marine Brokers with boats like this for sale.  This will help with extra detail, stanchions, lifebelts, lights etc.
Hope this helps.
regards Roy

surabaya

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 12:17:56 am »

Thanks, I think around 1/16 sounds about right, now to find some fittings that will look right. The mast is made of an old knitting needle ( I remember them from my mum,  :)) ,so I will re-do that too.
I like the look of the "bluebirds" but not sure if the port holes will suit.
Like the idea of steps and how about railings or maybe just st the bow.
Also I saw a similar boat that had an aft sliding hatch and doors, do you think this would be in keeping with it
At the moment, just gathering ideas before going any further.
Thanks all

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 10:59:26 am »

Have a browse at "Classic Boats" in the newsagents.  With a bit of luck, you should find pictures of similar styled real boats that will give you ideas for fittings.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

surabaya

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 10:46:01 pm »

Hey, Thanks for that, I have just spent a very enjoyable 2 hours, not only on classic boats, but looking at the Dunkirk Little Ships site.
Wow, what an amazing site, not just for looking at the boats, but reading about them too. I almost forgot what I was on the site for. well worth a look.
Even though they are a little earlier than mine, I got some useful ideas and when I have finished this one, Guess what I am going to have a go at.Plenty to choose from.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 23 queries.