Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Falklands Oil Row  (Read 18877 times)

Bartapuss

• Full Mayhemer
  • Deltic's Rule OK!
Falklands Oil Row
« on: February 19, 2010, 11:24:40 pm »

I've said for ages somthing like this was going to happen

Hostilities between the UK and Argentina will reach boiling point with the arrival of a British oil rig off the Falkland Islands.
Buenos Aires has threatened to take steps to prevent what it believes is 'illegal' drilling - including a blockade of ships.
But oil exploration firm Desire Petroleum confirmed that the huge drilling platform Ocean Guardian was due to enter the archipelago's waters in defiance of the Argentine government's warnings.
Tensions between Britain and Argentina have flared up over the imminent drilling operation by four British firms set to begin next week. Experts claim there could be 60billion barrels of oil in the rocks deep beneath the ocean floor.
Four warships are in the South Atlantic, including the destroyer York anchored off the islands' capital Port Stanley, and four RAF bombers have been deployed as a show of strength, military sources claimed.
On Tuesday Argentine president Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner issued a decree requiring all vessels passing through its territorial waters to and from the Falklands to gain permission from Buenos Aires, though it is unclear how it can enforce this.
The decree raised the possibility that civilian and even military vessels could be stopped or boarded by the Argentinian Navy. Argentina has lodged a hostile claim at the United Nations for 660,000 square miles of the South Atlantic seabed which surrounds the islands, known locally as Las Malvinas. Territorial waters usually extend 12 miles from the coast.
The country's deputy foreign minister Victorio Taccetti said yesterday that 'adequate measures' would be taken to stop oil exploration, although he ruled out military action.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1251901/Falkland-Islands-oil-row-Argentina-warns-UK-complacency.html#ixzz0g1i7Xb6s
Every time I learn something new, it pushes something old out of my brain - I says wot I likes and I likes wot I say!!!

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Falklands Oil Row
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 11:34:49 pm »

The argies are barking mad trying to impose a blockade. They say they are only going to use diplomatic means in this dispute. We shall see. Perhaps one of the new Type 45's should pop down there and use a bit of gunboat diplomacy?

tugmad

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 11:36:21 pm »

Thats typical of the british government, we want to hang on to our outlying states but get rid of anything that can protect them, what have we got as a Navy now? come to that we only seem to have short range aircraft it is a good job that some very dedicated people have got our last vulcan up and running. :-)) :-)) :-)) we may need it again. >>:-( >>:-( which is more than can be said for our surface fleet, I suppose it will be the merchant service that will be called upon if needed.

DARLEK1

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 11:38:15 pm »

This has been comming for years, it's time now, they know our navy is weak, lets just see what happens.
 Paul...

DARLEK1

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 11:49:19 pm »

Our government has been trying to keep this quiet for a while, so why is Ocean going down there with a battle group soon?, I know there are at least two subs down there already and beleive me there are more than four bombers down there. I was there on Arrow in 82, it was shall we say, interesting?

Paul... :o

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 11:52:26 pm »

This has been comming for years, it's time now, they know our navy is weak, lets just see what happens.
 Paul...

To be fair, the UK has roughly the 4th highest defence budget in the world based on the 6th highest GDP in the world. In other words, we spend far more on defence than we can monetarily afford.

DARLEK1

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 11:53:57 pm »

EH?
 For what mate, a toilet seat??? :o

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 12:10:43 am »

The Argies are probably just posturing at the moment but the situation does demonstrate why we still need to have an effective Navy. The world is a rough old place and if you run down your forces voluntarily then other nations don't give you brownie points for it, they take advantage. Defence spending is not a matter of what you can 'afford' it's a matter of what you need. The UK is a maritime nation and dependent upon imports for survival. It needs to have adequate forces to safeguard that situation. Yes, we could reduce our proportion of defence spending to that of the Netherlands, Denmark, Norway and Belgium etc. But when the chips were down they were invaded with ridiculous ease. That is the bottom line. Defence of the Realm is the highest responsibility of the Government, not giving council houses to single mothers who have made a lifestyle choice. This Government has not got its priorities right. Adequate defence doesn't mean that you are agressive but it does mean that others will think twice before pushing their luck. And that is the only way to ensure safety - sad but true.

This has been the lesson of history time and time again - but of course they don't teach history any more do they?

Colin   <*<

snowwolflair

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 01:01:20 am »

If the Argies try it again send a Trident this time, not a Battle Group.  :police:

The Antipodean

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 02:06:19 am »

This is not a good thing from what I can see. Will Commonwealth countries be called upon to provide warships and personnel?

Rex Hunt

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 05:12:44 am »

This is not a good thing from what I can see. Will Commonwealth countries be called upon to provide warships and personnel?

They managed to avoid getting involved last time if I remember correctly. I am not too surprised as the UK appears to have turned our backs on them since becoming part of EFTA  (anyone remember that?).

Our European 'friends', and to a great extent our pals in the US of A , took a visible 'back seat' too, being noticable for their apparent absence.

Oh how we 'learn' from our own history!

Let's just hope it is just 'sabre rattling'

Rex

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 10:18:36 am »

Let's just hope it is just 'sabre rattling'

It almost certainly is, and designed to draw attention from the Argentine government's internal political difficulties. There's nothing like wrapping yourself in the flag to stife internal dissent - it came in very handy for Mrs Thatcher last time round.

Anyway, in addition to the obvious UK military assets there will be at least one, if not two, nuclear subs in the area and they carry quite a lot of torpedoes each!

Colin

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 10:37:03 am »

What replaced Exocett and have we got the computer "Crack" to overide it this time????

"One or two nuclear subs"??? have we got that many left and working??

Regards  Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

The long Build

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 11:11:27 am »

It almost certainly is, and designed to draw attention from the Argentine government's internal political difficulties. There's nothing like wrapping yourself in the flag to stife internal dissent - it came in very handy for Mrs Thatcher last time round.

Anyway, in addition to the obvious UK military assets there will be at least one, if not two, nuclear subs in the area and they carry quite a lot of torpedoes each!

Colin

Yes but can we afford to use any !!

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 11:48:07 am »

It was'nt advertised at the time, but the French Government made available identical aircraft to those used by the Argentinian airforce to give our Harrier pilots info/combat practice before they sailed south. Thankfully we now have a nice big runway...... but stocks of corn beef may eventually fall to dangerous levels so be prepared for panic buying. :o
There's plenty of time to Parcelforce a few Typhoons. It's the job of the Foreign Office and Military Intelligence Services to have their ears to the ground......... there are few 'surprises' on our planet. :-)    

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2010, 12:42:21 pm »

But how many Hawker Typhoons can we muster?? :-))

Regards  Ian.

You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

The long Build

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2010, 12:48:10 pm »

Looks like the government Might need the 1 and only operational Vulcan   

Just in case any Government or MOD snoops are on the Forum here is a weblink in case you need to give them a call.. 8)

www.vulcantothesky.org/

:} :} %% %% :} :}

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2010, 01:11:35 pm »

But how many Hawker Typhoons can we muster?? :-))

Regards  Ian.

Nah just get this flying..saw it this week at Cosford  yep the TSR2

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2010, 01:16:08 pm »

I suppose they will now need this back

peter

tugmad

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2010, 05:15:49 pm »

The Argies are probably just posturing at the moment but the situation does demonstrate why we still need to have an effective Navy. The world is a rough old place and if you run down your forces voluntarily then other nations don't give you brownie points for it, they take advantage. Defence spending is not a matter of what you can 'afford' it's a matter of what you need. The UK is a maritime nation and dependent upon imports for survival. It needs to have adequate forces to safeguard that situation. Yes, we could reduce our proportion of defence spending to that of the Netherlands, Denmark, Norway and Belgium etc. But when the chips were down they were invaded with ridiculous ease. That is the bottom line. Defence of the Realm is the highest responsibility of the Government, not giving council houses to single mothers who have made a lifestyle choice. This Government has not got its priorities right. Adequate defence doesn't mean that you are agressive but it does mean that others will think twice before pushing their luck. And that is the only way to ensure safety - sad but true.

This has been the lesson of history time and time again - but of course they don't teach history any more do they?

Colin   <*<
    Very well put Colin.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2010, 06:31:34 pm »

From what I gather the "press" have rather missed the salient point. The Argentinian Gov't has put an embargo on vessels using their ports as stop-off places, and will henceforth prevent such vessels transitting their territorial waters if bound for the Falklands. This is a huge step away from "blockading" the Falklands. If (for instance) a vessel bound for Port Stanley calls in at Montevideo in Uruguay, and then sets off again, that ship will have to detour seawards to the East and so remain clear of Argentinian waters and remain in International waters. Of course, "things" may escalate, and so some prudent passive presence by the UK is logical. But please...for now at least...don't all go running off like headless chickens predicting a re-run of 1982. Also, if they can afford it, there's nothing to stop the Argentinians exploring their own waters. So far I haven't read anything to suggest that they have. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2010, 06:37:01 pm »

The Argies are probably just posturing at the moment...  

They must be. The Argentine armed forces budget has not been greatly increased in the last few years - in fact they are kept rather short of money. They have 36 new (refurbished) Skyhawks - they needed them - but if they were serious they would have been buying German submarines, and they have not done anything to upgrade their underwater capability. Their subs gave us a fair scare last time, and if they had been handled with anything like the skill and bravery of the FAA they could well have left us with a lot less ships.

I suspect that Argentina could take the Falklands again if it tried - it is prohibitively expensive to guard against a surprise attack from a large nation less than 300 miles away while we are 3900 miles away in Ascension. Special Services could take out the 4 Eurofighters we have down there, and a landing in force with armour at several points could hardly be resisted. But to stop us taking it back again they would need a big airforce and more submarines than the three they currently run...

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2010, 07:02:58 pm »

Looks like the government Might need the 1 and only operational Vulcan    

Just in case any Government or MOD snoops are on the Forum here is a weblink in case you need to give them a call.. 8)

www.vulcantothesky.org/

:} :} %% %% :} :}

armed with a 20kt :) target Buenos aires !!! :D that'll shut them up!
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2010, 07:12:43 pm »

Ok - we have a Vulcan. Now where are we going to get the 11 Victors needed to refuel the aircraft during the attack run?

http://www.raf.mod.uk/falklands/bb.html refers...

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2010, 07:29:44 pm »

Ok - we have a Vulcan. Now where are we going to get the 11 Victors needed to refuel the aircraft during the attack run?

http://www.raf.mod.uk/falklands/bb.html refers...

Er, we dont use them anymore. We use TriStars

http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/tristar.cfm
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 21 queries.