Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what a price jump  (Read 4065 times)

tubby tomo

what a price jump
« on: February 20, 2010, 12:09:27 pm »

hi all i went to buy a couple of planet rm6 2.4 receivers the last one i purchased was £9 to day they are £14.99 that to me is drawer the punters in then whack up the price am i wrong ? >>:-(

Mark47

Re: what a price jump
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 12:50:26 pm »

I'm afraid prices are jumping up all over the place. Last ink cartridge I bought from ASDA was £14.91, went to get one yesterday and it's £34.99 now. :((

The long Build

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 12:52:53 pm »

Would have been cheaper just to buy a new printer.. 8)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 01:09:48 pm »

Thats what I have done twice now
£50 for two HP cartridges
£30 for HP all in one Printer/copier/scanner.
Good enough for most print jobs

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 01:18:40 pm »

yes but new printers only have a very small amount of ink in the cartridges  my last two HP ones did and the Epsom I installed for someone recently

peter

wbeedie

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 01:25:47 pm »

All in one printers only have small cartridges and a waste of money better off buying slighlty dearer printers such as Epson R320's the cartridges cost about £6 for a set of 6 the printer costs maybe £80 but to run a lot cheaper pick up a scanner for £30

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 01:45:50 pm »

I got a canon 3 in 1 from their store on ebay for £30 odd pounds ('cos I needed a sheet feed scanner) and it included two ink carts new and wrapped which cost more in Staples than i paid for printer

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 02:10:11 pm »

All in one printers only have small cartridges and a waste of money better off buying slighlty dearer printers such as Epson R320's the cartridges cost about £6 for a set of 6 the printer costs maybe £80 but to run a lot cheaper pick up a scanner for £30

what are you on about, there are  lot of high end all in ones that have individual inks !  O0 and the R320 is a lower DPI than my all in one.  And remember when you buy copy inks for epsons you guarantee is void

Peter

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 02:31:59 pm »

And your Epson Guarantee will be even voider if you use one of these :- http://www.continuous-ink-system.co.uk/

Regards  Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 03:11:34 pm »

I got a canon 3 in 1 from their store on ebay for £30 odd pounds ('cos I needed a sheet feed scanner) and it included two ink carts new and wrapped which cost more in Staples than i paid for printer

Exactly
My two HP's have come with standard sealed replacement cartridges
They last as long as the ones I used to buy
I get a new set of equipment each time and a standalone scanner takes up valuable boat building room!

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 03:41:58 pm »

hi all i went to buy a couple of planet rm6 2.4 receivers the last one i purchased was £9 to day they are £14.99 that to me is drawer the punters in then whack up the price am i wrong ? >>:-(

I think you'll find that it's more to do with exchange rates than the trader making an unreasonable profit. After all, this is presumably the same trader who gave you such an exceptional deal on the last one you bought and who knows full well that Perkins will sell this brand of radio to any account holder - so you can shop around for one if you don't like his prices. In turn, Perkins are the importers and in competition with others, so there's no sense in them pricing their goods out of the market either. BTW have you seen the price of a new Futaba 2.4 6Ch Rx? Makes your fifteen quid Planet look like theft!

As for printers, why worry about voiding the warranty by using OEM cartridges if the printers are so cheap anyway?

It's a free market - suit yourselves.

FLJ

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 03:49:46 pm »

Would have been cheaper just to buy a new printer.. 8)

Nope. It seriously is false economy.

The cartridges fitted in the printer at sale are starter cartridges. They have about a 3rd of the ink in them as the standard bought over the counter replacement.

I used to run a business that also sold cartridges and the number of people who were adamant it was cheaper to chuck away a perfectly good printer because the cartridges were empty was unbelievable.

If you actually did a proper cost benefit analysis, you'd see how big the false economy was.

But people wont listen!

as regards stuff going up a lot, we notice this especially on 'new' lines in supermarkets ie a new biscuit or cake. its sold for example as £1.99 to start off with then, when it sells out and re stocked, its £3.99.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 06:18:23 pm »

You do have to shop around very hard for cartridges, particularly OEMs, but sometimes you can get a deal on a full set for the printer. Those machines which use several cartridges are likely to be cheaper to run than the ones which use tricolours. If you are into printing photos then it's best to use the OEM ones and also OEM paper if possible as they are likely to be chemically matched. If you are just doing general printing then it's probably not so important to use OEM cartridges but I have had dud ones in the past so I only use OEMs now as I don't do a huge amount of printing. I only buy off the Net as all retailers charge silly prices.

Colin

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 06:28:57 pm »

what are you on about, there are  lot of high end all in ones that have individual inks !  O0 and the R320 is a lower DPI than my all in one.  And remember when you buy copy inks for epsons you guarantee is void

Peter
Not true , i have two epson printers , an R200  and a R340 , both of them running on compatable ink cartriges . On the R200 when i bought it i used the ink that came with it and i had a bad cartrige so i put a compatable in when i told epson they said as long as it was compatable then the warenty was still valid.
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

wbeedie

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 07:03:36 pm »

Not true , i have two epson printers , an R200  and a R340 , both of them running on compatable ink cartriges . On the R200 when i bought it i used the ink that came with it and i had a bad cartrige so i put a compatable in when i told epson they said as long as it was compatable then the warenty was still valid.
daz
Well said I have had a lexmark All in one,An HP and a Cannon  three all in ones and the best printer I had was the Epson,it all depends on settings for print quality if B&W is needed then drop the quality if photo standard then select the highest ,I used compatibles all the time for the Epson for photos and the quality was as good as official inks ,to get the cartridges for my Cannon all in one its £52 minimum for standard size cartridges and about seventy pound for the XL size both for one Black and one tricoulour

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2010, 08:07:09 pm »

My experience of buying ink for computer printers.
Note that prices are estimates based on the Epson RX700 six-cartridge printer, which contain 17ml each.

1   I bought original brand inks.
   Cost per cartridge - £10-£15. Total replacement approx. £72
   Advantages: no need to consider any technical issues, ink should be good quality
   Disadvantage: Very high running cost, esp if you do photos.

2   I bought compatible 'cheap brand' inks
   Cost per cartridge - £4. Total replacement approx - £24. Jet Tec are good.
   Advantages: large saving
   Disadvantage: Original manufacturers claim there may be colour variation or fading after time with cheaper brands   

3   I refilled my own cartridges
   Cost per cartridge - typical web seller charges equivalent of £1.50 per cartridge (but see below)- total replacement approx. £9
   Advantages: another large saving - can pick ink type
   Disadvantages: need to buy syringes and learn how to do - can be messy.

4   I bought and used a Continuous Ink Supply
   Cost per cartridge - typical seller charges £1.50 as above - I have found professional ink at £0.65p per cartridge. Total replacement approx. £3.90
   Advantages: large saving - choose ink - refill with heavy use perhaps twice a year (though this must be done in scrupulously clean conditions!). I can now print photos with no concern about ink cost at all!
   Disadvantages: need to fit system to printer - can be obtrusive. Depending on printer there may be need to modify it. Initial cost of CIS was about £45 (though it came with the ink equivalent of 6 cartridges for each colour, which would have cost about £140 if bought as cheap-brand cartridges.)

Recommendations:

Buy a CIS if one will fit your printer easily. It may be worth buying a printer to fit a CIS you know you can buy rather than the other way round.
Typical units are made in China and sold under a variety of names.
Two outlets are: http://www.continuousink.com/ or http://www.advancedinkjetsystems.com/

Buy OCP ink in bulk from Promax. Web site is: http://www.promaximaging.com/catalog/

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2010, 08:25:56 pm »

I've always used Jet-tec cartridges, only ever had a couple of duds and the supplier simply replaced them after a single call or email - no quibbles. I tend to wait until I spot them on special offer and buy in bulk. I couldn't afford to use Epson cartridges and Epson paper.

As for quality, I do a lot of photo printing on my R300, using various brands of paper. Worth paying a bit more for branded paper, IMHO, but I seldom use Epson.

I noticed a colour variation happen a couple of years ago, and photos suddenly looked a bit dull. Don't know if was the inks or the printer, but a quick adjustment in the print settings cured this.
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2010, 09:30:46 pm »

There was a comprehensive study published in one of the computer magazines a while back which suggested that OEM inks and paper  are the best for ensuring print longevity. On the other hand, if you have the original files and the prints fade then you can always print off another copy.

Like everything else i suppose it is horses for courses. If I want a lot of standard size small prints I would go to somewhere like Jessops rather than print them off myself. I only do large enlargements on my home kit.

Colin

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2010, 10:24:28 pm »

Same this side Colin i do a lot of documents (text) and large prints which are expensive to have done at the print shop , but as for small prints 7X4 etc its cheaper to take the disc/card etc to the shop and let them do it . I think the last lot were for my sister , about 600 prints for about 4p each.
The reason i use epson R200/360 printers is that they both take the same cartriges and a full set for both is £12.
daz

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2010, 11:28:19 pm »

Time to rename this thread, maybe? I thought it was about the price of receivers................  {:-{
FLJ

bigH

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2010, 03:12:29 pm »

What have I told you about waking up too early in the day Dave ?
Now go back to sleep like a good boy and stop drinking that Cocoa
        H

Nordsee

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2010, 03:26:02 pm »

I decided to buy a Planet5 system, price in Mag was 38 50, phoned and it was now 44,95. Thought about it and phoned again and it was now 49,95! had a bit of a Rant and got the price down to 44, 95, P+P free. So it has gone up, but it is still only the price of a tankfull of petrol! ( I have a small car!) Oh and yes, haggle! it still works, sometimes.

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2010, 03:54:59 pm »

I also have the planet 5 , but i bought 3 extra recievers at the same time , just over £70.
By the price rises on here the same will cost about £95   :o .
daz

tubby tomo

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2010, 04:05:04 pm »

AS FAR AS IM CONCERNED £6  JUMP IN PRICE WILL NOT KEEP OUR MODEL SHOPS IN OUR HIGH STREET AS THE SAYING GOES USE IT OR LOSE IT  >:-o
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 22 queries.