Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theoretical impossibles - Time Travel  (Read 11155 times)

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Theoretical impossibles - Time Travel
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2010, 05:50:24 pm »

For more advanced reading of the "Ultimate Truths" and Hugo Rune , refer to the works of that noted scientific writer Robert Rankin.

Works for me ...

Danny
Good grief!!!  Did Rankin write about the guy??   {-)  Come to think of it, Rune did a bit of time travelling....
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2010, 06:07:41 pm »

... If you made the round trip to Alpha Centauri and back at virtually the SOL, hundreds if not thousands of years will have passed by the time you return to Earth.

If you travel at the SOL, time actually stops.

Although this could be said to be a form of time travel, its not time travel in the sense that you can go backwards into the past or forwards to the future.

Why not? That last sentence hardly makes sense. If I can get in a box for a minute of my time and come out a week later compared to everyone else, then I have traveled forwards into the future.

Which seems to be a little at odds with your assertion that time travel is theoretically impossible.....

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2010, 07:36:16 pm »

Why not? That last sentence hardly makes sense. If I can get in a box for a minute of my time and come out a week later compared to everyone else, then I have traveled forwards into the future.

Which seems to be a little at odds with your assertion that time travel is theoretically impossible.....

The last sentence makes complete sense. When people talk of time travel, they general mean time travel as in sci fi programmes such as Dr Who etc ie physically moving backwards into time that has passed or into the future into time that has not yet happen from our perspective.

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2010, 07:47:13 pm »

The last sentence makes complete sense. When people talk of time travel, they general mean time travel as in sci fi programmes such as Dr Who etc ie physically moving backwards into time that has passed or into the future into time that has not yet happen from our perspective.

But this person is moving into future time. He disappears, and when we see him next it is a week in the future and he has only aged a few minutes....
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.