Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: SC 61 break in.  (Read 20701 times)

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
Re: SC 61 break in.
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2006, 12:27:04 am »

Hi Biscuit,

Don't buy a ready to run, especially if it's not fiberglass, you will be disapointed. The styrene hulls fall to pieces.

The Wicked Angel, test run for a well known mag, started to crack up during the first test runs.

Stick with what you have got, it will be worth it in the end.
The SC engines do work, it's just a matter of sorting it out.
Most I C's can have problems at the start. I had an OS that nearly drove me mad, but now it's sorted, it starts first time every time. Other club members with electric starters look on in wonder as it starts first time every time, with a pull cord, while they  spend ages with electric starters.
Remember, no pain no gain.

Bob

Biscuit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2006, 01:39:59 am »

Yeah I know what you are saying, but that Miss Lumar is fiberglass and to me goes well, cant see my boat being that fast with that engine, not going to spend any more money on it, been in touch with Dave a few times, getting no where. The hull should get a fair price on -bay, would not sell it with that engine, take the radio out as well, will lose money but I can see myself better off with something else, any Idea what the hull is worth with the hardwear?? thanks
Biscuit.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2006, 03:06:02 am »

Re: engine problems.

You could try getting in touch with Just Engines - http://www.justengines.co.uk/
- what they don't know about engines, isn't worth knowing! Don't know what they might charge but it's worth an email or phone call.

Martin.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2006, 08:13:23 am »

Yeah I know what you are saying, but that Miss Lumar is fiberglass and to me goes well, cant see my boat being that fast with that engine, not going to spend any more money on it, been in touch with Dave a few times, getting no where. The hull should get a fair price on -bay, would not sell it with that engine, take the radio out as well, will lose money but I can see myself better off with something else, any Idea what the hull is worth with the hardwear?? thanks
Biscuit.
mate you are so wrong i promise you your boat will fly past that pile of crap once you get your engine sorted ,stick with it you have too much time and money in it to give up now.i have not seen one good thread on rcu about the miss lumar or budweiser boat as they are the same in different colours.the v will handle great in chop when that lumar will be either sat on the bank cos hes too scared to drive it or upside down in the middle of the lake .for starters yours is 11cc his is most likely a small pull start of arround 15 to 20 size? 3to 4 cc i reckon.even witht he same engine yours is a proven hull its a very fast hull capable of 60 mph with the right engine.dont give up on it now.as said the rtr boats available over here are a load of crap ,the only way to get a good boat together over here is buy all the bits from the usa that way you get quality at half the price as here.your boat however is a good one all you need is help to get the engine sorted.if you want to throw away all your good work and money and buy a cheap hunk of junk then by all means get rid and buy that lumar junk.thats my honest opinion i hope your listening but i doubt it ,someone will get a good boat on ebay by the sounds of it i only hope they dont turn up at the lake while your running your miss lumar (junk) cos they will leave you in theire wake  ;).

Biscuit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2006, 10:24:35 am »

OK Martno 1 fan, seems you don't like that miss Lumar then? maybe I should take a step back and do something else for a while, but you know what its like when you keep trying to sort something out and you are getting nowhere,  sold one of my helicopters yesterday so thought I could sell the boat as well and start again, with something else.
Atb
Biscuit.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2006, 12:06:10 pm »

OK Martno 1 fan, seems you don't like that miss Lumar then? maybe I should take a step back and do something else for a while, but you know what its like when you keep trying to sort something out and you are getting nowhere,  sold one of my helicopters yesterday so thought I could sell the boat as well and start again, with something else.
Atb
Biscuit.

hi mate sorry if i went off on one i just dont want to see you waste what looks like a good boat you have there ,try posting on that other forum they will help you there are more people on there who know about ic engines than here ,sorry martin but thats just true!!.like ive said getting the set up of the engine is the key here ill go check my needle settings and see if i can help.ill screw them in and check the amount of turns needed that should give you a starting point as my engine runs well.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2006, 12:25:56 pm »

right i checked my engine and the main needle is exactly 2 1/2 turns out do that and leave it there dont move it !!.now screw the other one all the way in not too tight then when it stops back it off exactly 4 turns.now try it and it should fire up and run perfectly if it doesnt i cant help.all i do know is its allways the low end needle thats the problem a slight turn this way or that and she will scream and die or not fire at all like mine did.give it a try and i hope she works for you she will certainly run well on that engine when you get her running im sure .these engines arent fast compaired to other engines of the same size though as the marine motors are the same as the aero versions hence the reason they are for sports use only.a bit like the older merc engines from years ago they just stuck a cooling head on an aero engine.nowadays most manufacturers make propper marine engines with the rpm to match.anyway good luck with it and keep us posted.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2006, 01:22:59 pm »

heres another tip if she wont run!!,close the low needle and connect some tubing to the carb nipple and blow into it as you blow open the low needle till you hear a hissing sound and stop .this is tha basic setting then go from there adjusting as you go with the engine running.

OneBladeMissing

• Full Mayhemer
  • Man overboard! Leave Him! (Eric Sykes)
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2006, 05:41:52 pm »

..... "£80 to have it sprayed" .....
Eighty squids to have a model boat painted???!!!
JEEEEEZZZUUS!
"Give me a tall ship and a star to steer her by ..... or a short ship and a GPS!"

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2006, 07:14:51 pm »

..... "£80 to have it sprayed" .....
Eighty squids to have a model boat painted???!!!
JEEEEEZZZUUS!
lol no doubt he wanted a nice finnish ,thats pretty cheap if you ask me for a proffesional paint job!!.mind you id rather buy the paint and a spray gun and do it myself lol.i wonder if he got his engine sorted yet?.i think when he does he will be surprised how fast that boat is ive seen a cpl of them run and they are fast hulls ,really fast with the right engine.

Biscuit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2006, 11:37:20 pm »

Hi Martno1fan,
Guess I will never find out, stripped the boat out today to sell it, motor is scrap, going to use the radio in something else, hope to get some money back on the hull, looks nice so you never know, had an e-mail from someone called John kind of saying the thread is getting out of hand? so this will be my last posting thanks for trying to help me out, should of done my home work before getting  into boats.
Steve.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2006, 09:06:44 am »

who was it said this thread is getting out of hand give me his name ill be having a word with him!!in what way is the thread getting out of hand may i ask who ever you are as your obviously reading this ? we are all here trying to help a fellow out!!! .its a shame you gave up on her mate i may know someone wo might be interested in the hull send me a pm wih what you have in mind for her and ill let him know.if you want you can send me that motor and ill see if i can get her going for you then ill send it back to you hopefully in working order!!.ill do it for free and hopefully youll have a good engine to do whatever you want with.

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2006, 05:50:27 pm »

Hi Biscuit,

I was going to offer to set the engine up for you, but martno1fan beat me too it. No matter, as long as someone does it. I thought the thread was going ok so I also don't understand why someone should suggest ending it.

What does Mayhem have to say?

Perhaps he is going to make a reduced offer for your set up!

Bob

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2006, 07:16:30 pm »

i think hes selling the boat now !!,hes taken the engine out and unfortunately hes moving onto trucks :) seems a shame as he has a nice boat there and im sure with a bit of tinkering the engine will kick into life.i too was a bit bemused why anyone would email him saying the thread was getting out of line? .some people  ehh!! ::)

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2006, 02:46:08 am »

Hi Biscuit,

Don't give up now, you are nearly there, nice looking boat, minor engine prob. to sort. Send the motor to Mart or one of the other guys to get running, can't be that much wrong.

Tell whoever told you the thread was too long to wind their neck in, in fact, I just did, hey ho.

If serious about giving in drop me a PM and I may make you an offer for the hull, quite tidy looking.

Glenn

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2006, 09:02:17 am »

Hi Glen i think its too late He sent me a pm saying hed stripped the engine out and its scrapped dont know if he meant hed binned it or just thrown it to one side.I agree its a shame as he obviously put a lot of work and some pride into putting it together and to give up now is such a pitty.I hope he changes his mind when hes had time to think .Im no expert with engines but i sorted my sc out just tinkering and got a few tips off another site from guys and it did help me a lot.Im moving on to gas now as its carrying the starter and battery round the place that gets to me id rather just turn up with my boat and some fuel and go !!.ill be putting a build thread in here soon as im scratch building a gas boat from free plans i have ,im powering her with a strimmer motor 28 cc i got for £15 brand new,with a walb carb fitted and a tuned exhaust i shoul see a decent improvement from it.the walb carbs fit ,i know a guy who has the same engine.also a friend of mine who mods bikes is going to port it for me at some point.

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2006, 02:24:29 am »

Should be fun. I got a tuned 26cc Zenoah motor off Dave Marles in my 55" Miami, that goes well. Got a tuned pipe on and surface drive.

Yours should be a hoot.

Look forward to following the threads of the build.

Good luck.

Happy New Year. (To Everyone who reads this)

Glenn

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2007, 05:30:31 pm »

hi mate you cant do better than one of daves engines have you seen the new zen 7? i have a video of it running in the panther ill post the link soon for you.i wish i could afford a zen !! maybe in the summer ill swap the weedy for a zen wife permitting lol.
mart

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2007, 03:29:16 am »

Hi Mart,

sure have, that's what I run in my Miami!!

It's a good motor, so far reliable, easy to start and no complaints so far. Likes to rev a lot mind.....  :o

Probably should not have said that should I? Kiss of death and all that..

Currently running a BH Hanson pipe from the States which works OK but is a bit noisy, got a Prestwich one to try out when I can get round to it. What strimmer motor did you get? Is it a Zenoah? Had a few problems with mine trying to get a good throttle connection, BH Hanson to the rescue agin though. Have fun.

Glenn

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2007, 07:07:51 pm »

you luccky swine!! bet that cost you an arm and a leg lol,ive had numerous arguments on that other site over that motor the yanks dont like someone claiming 7.3 hp for a zen lol.i think the dave marles pipe will be very quiet compaired to the hanson one.my motor is not a zen its a sovereign ,they dont even make em dont know who does either but i do know the walb carbs are a straight fit and so is the header and pipes too so should be ok.starts easy im sure as it is it will be ok for my son to play with then ill get my freind to mod the other one as i got two for 35 quid  ;D never been run either,the boat is the gas mono from plans thats been floating around the net for ages.i built a smaller one for nitro and its a nice boat if a little low in the water so ill be raising the sides a bit for this one.once we get bored of the weedy engine we will order a zen from oneils in the states they are cheap as chips compaired to here £129

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2007, 09:47:06 am »

hi guys just to let you know i got a pm from biscuit and hes finally got his boat on the water and hes very happy with the boats speed.maybe he will come back and give us a propper update of her performance?.

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2007, 01:09:26 pm »

Did he say what was wrong with the carb or engine set up then Martin?

After all the previous postings it appears that all has been tried but to no avail.

I am now very curious - unless of course a different engine was fitted...

Glenn

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2007, 02:39:14 pm »

Did he say what was wrong with the carb or engine set up then Martin?

After all the previous postings it appears that all has been tried but to no avail.

I am now very curious - unless of course a different engine was fitted...

Glenn
hi he bought a new piston and liner for it and it started,he had few probs with lsn but i think hes sorted it now he said the boat was fast and stable in strong winds so alls good.he says hes unwound two flex cables so im thinking he could have the wrong cables? right instead of left?.he says it came unwound near the collet i presume he means near the engine or he means ferrule and its the other end.im waiting for him to get back to me on this as its strange to unwind two cables in such a way.

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2007, 02:55:52 pm »

Cables must be wrong ones.
That's the only logical reason they'd unwind. The cylinder and / piston must have had some pretty severe damage to have been causing that many problems.

Any way, all's well that ends well.

Glad he got it going.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2007, 04:25:31 pm »

well i told him via pm that i thought his cables were the wrong lay hopefully he will make sure next time before he loses his prop or worse!!.yea he said he had a 3ft rooster from it and everyone said his boat was the best there.he was running 25% nitro though which i thinks too much for that engine as they are only sports engines  what do you think? i ran mine on 10%.basically the marine engine has the same specs as the plane engine .also i was going to ask you do you solder your ferrules on or use the loctite retainer 603 i think they use?.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.