Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Planking  (Read 1917 times)

Dueller

Planking
« on: February 28, 2010, 10:14:45 pm »

"wood" these be any good for planking and how do you think the price compares with other methods. I do not have any experience of prices or quantity but there seems to be a lot for the money.

http://www.pennineteaandcoffee.co.uk/commercialdisposables/Wooden_Stirrers_5_and_a_half_inch_%2810x1000%29.htm

http://www.pennineteaandcoffee.co.uk/commercialdisposables/Wooden_Stirrers_7_and_a_half_inch_%2810x500%29.htm

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Planking
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 10:29:42 pm »

Just bear in mind these will be made of the cheapest possible wood. It is likely they will split badly if you try and coax them around a curve.

Do you really want to skimp on quality of wood when you are going to put many many hours of your time in building something to be proud of?

Get your wallet out and buy cedar or lime, its worth it!

Go to a local woodyard, look for cedar stair posts and ask the yard to cut them into 10mm planks, then buy a small bandsaw and cut the planks into 2 mm strips. You could end up with enough wood for more than one boat, plus a bandsaw all at a very reasonable cost.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 02:02:11 am »

"Just bear in mind these will be made of the cheapest possible wood. It is likely they will split badly if you try and coax them around a curve."

... that because you're not soaking them in strong tea on a miserably Monday morning at work first!  ok2
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

barryfoote

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 08:41:35 am »

Ian is quite right. best quality for planking or you could live to regret it......I know I have on occasions.. %) %) %)

Dueller

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 08:56:46 am »

I'll avoid them and take the advice of the forum. many thanks

wbeedie

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 09:32:15 am »

I am actually using these at the moment as for bending if done slowly they arent too bad but need to double plank them for strength

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 01:08:27 pm »

I wouldn't actually avoid them, just take them for what they are, cheap planks of a light coloured wood, ready cut and available in a great number of cafe's.

I wouldn't use them to build a hull but I do use them to make such things as 'scale' planks of wood, in 1/35th scale they equate to a six inch plank of wood so they are perfect for cargo or painting platforms.  I also use them in larger scales such as 1/12th to make up wooden packing cases.  They look very effective as deck cargo detailing.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Dueller

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 04:09:37 pm »

So they may have a use after all.  O0

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 07:26:46 pm »

Absolutely, this is just an idea of something you can make with them.  

I also use them to stick things to when I'm painting or spraying small items such as figures and I use them for mixing two part glues and epoxies as well as trimming the ends and using them to apply the glue and fillers etc.

They also make perfect paint stirrers so I always have a pile of them next to my modelling desk and I'm forever picking up a new one.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Dueller

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 05:47:24 pm »

Go to a local woodyard, look for cedar stair posts and ask the yard to cut them into 10mm planks, then buy a small bandsaw and cut the planks into 2 mm strips. You could end up with enough wood for more than one boat, plus a bandsaw all at a very reasonable cost.

Ian

I'm afraid my workbench is the dining table and all kit has to be removed many times and for many reasons. Power tool limited to a dremmel.  <:(

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 06:55:08 pm »

Ah, dining room workshop, ok, think again!

For the hull, I would recommend you get some cedar or lime planks, you will have to pay a bit for decent stuff, but its worth it if you can afford it.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 23 queries.