Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Dans crack at a yacht  (Read 12683 times)

dan

Dans crack at a yacht
« on: March 01, 2010, 05:59:30 pm »

Can Someone please help me identify this hull, it might be easy for some of you but i have no knowledge what so ever  :embarrassed: once i find out roughly what it is i would like to have a go at building it  :-)  thanks

Mark47

Re: Another unidentified Hull
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 06:08:12 pm »

Can Someone please help me identify this hull, it might be easy for some of you but i have no knowledge what so ever  :embarrassed: once i find out roughly what it is i would like to have a go at building it  :-)  thanks

A picture would help. :-)) O0

dan

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 06:09:10 pm »

Oops  :embarrassed:

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Bradley

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 08:37:02 pm »

Dan,

What are the dimensions of your hull?

Derek.

dan

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 08:59:30 pm »

hi derek,
im not sure of the dimensions ill get them tomorrow in the light and let you know,
thanks, dan 

dan

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 09:35:01 pm »

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 07:27:15 am »

At twenty seven feet plus, I'd live on it ! O0 O0

Mike

dan

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 07:58:07 am »

Another mistake made by myself,   :D it's mention to say 36 inches not 326

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 11:07:38 am »

I've done some research for you and think it could be made to look like the Robbe Atlantis. Have a look at this site.

http://ukatlantisbuilder.blogspot.com/

A lot of work, but the result could be stunning.

Hope this helps

Ken

Bradley

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 02:18:19 pm »

Having had a closer look, I don't think it is an Atlantis - the curve of the bow does not look quite right and the cut away for the rudder is not quite the same.  :((
Whatever it is I wouldn't mind owning it (nudge-nudge-wink-wink).

Derek.

Bradley

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 02:26:12 pm »

Compare it with this Atlantis -

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 03:00:08 pm »

Blimey not much difference  :-)
Steamed up all the time

dan

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 03:24:17 pm »

hi guys,
thanks for the input so far, the dimentions are 60 inches long  by  14 inch beam

thanks, dan

Bradley

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 04:34:23 pm »

Going on the dimensions I would suggest that it is an 'Argus' schooner which, I believe, was designed by a HE Andrews and moulded by Bob Underhill.  I don't think that there is an Underhill catalogue available any more but I have one which is several years old and 'Argus' looks like Dan's model.  The dimensions given are 60" x 14.5" and displacement 52lbs.  The photographs I have in the catalogue are not good enough to reproduce.  If anyone else has any details of Bob Underhill plans or 'Argus' they may be able to help.
I have one of Bob Underhill's hulls which I have yet to start on.  It is absolutely superb but it is not the 'Argus' (see below).

Derek.

dan

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 06:05:43 pm »

thanks very much for your help derek and valuble information, its much appriciated  :-)) like derek said if anyone has more info on it, please could you share it with me?

thanks, dan

dan

Dans crack at a yacht
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2010, 06:46:03 pm »

Right guys, I'm going to have a go at building a yacht, you might have seen the hull on another thread. From the info i have got from other members i will be building it as a schooner. I have never built anything like this before, just scale models. So I'm going to need some help. however i do sail racing dingies so i know how most things work O0

Ill start with some (of what i think) some basic questions based on the construction.

1) I will be using real wood planking for the deck, so should i paint the hull first before fitting the ply deck, which the planks will sit on, or should i fit the Ply first then paint then fit the planks?

2) when should i fit the Sail winches, and where would be the best place to fit them, should they been in front or behind the mast that is holding the boom and sail they will be controlling?

3) what should i use for ballest, because i think its going to need around the 50Lb mark when it comes to ballest?

i think thats enough for now, but i can garrenttee there will be many more to come, i will be ordering the first materials Monday afternoon to get this project moving.

Finally what advice would you give to someone who has never built a yacht or build with wood?

thanks, Dan

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Dans crack at a yacht
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2010, 07:51:20 pm »

Hi Dan

I always hate spray painting when there is wood around. I would advise Painting the hull complete with rudder assembled, That way you spray inside the bulwarks (is this what they're called on a Yacht?). Then when the deck goes down you'll get a nice clean cut edge.

With regards the other nautical questions then I leave it to others, but watch with interest.

Best of luck and don't forget to build a sturdy stand and you can walk around her whilst fitting out.

Ken

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2010, 08:53:22 pm »

Hi Dan
I agree with Kenny--- Paint first
As for the ply deck before you fit it I would decide what sail control I wanted, my schooner uses two large sail arm servos set between the masts one to control the Jib and staysail the other controls the Fore and the Mainsail However I differ from the main stream way of fitting servos (most people mount them down inside the hull) as I fit mine to the under side of the main hatch with the sail arm's exposed on deck--- this allowes me easy access to the servos (Just remove the hatch) and also makes rigging and maintaining the sheets (the lines that control the sails) much easer to get at... the arm's are later hidden under deck houses, ships boats etc:  BUT this is my metherd --- which ever way you do it check and mount any under leads and fittings before putting on the decks....
   I always attach my sheets to the boom at about the centre and then to a bowser running along the boom (this gives you the most movement on the boom and allows adjustment
 Ballast I almost allways use flashing lead,,, ether in sheets cut to shape or in shaped cast blocks...
If you check in Chit Chat "Rigging tool" you will see some pictures of my schooner "Wyvern" half finished  on sailing trials
Freebooter :-))
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2010, 09:07:25 pm »

Sorry About this  {:-{ {:-{Rigging tool is in Yachts  and Sail --- on this page about 6 or 7 threads down
 {:-{Freebooter :-))
Kings Lynn

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2010, 02:39:12 am »

Sorry About this  {:-{ {:-{Rigging tool is in Yachts  and Sail --- on this page about 6 or 7 threads down
 {:-{Freebooter :-))

Try here http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=12146.0
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2010, 02:57:40 pm »

Thanks TT
Jimmy
Kings Lynn

dan

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2010, 06:24:06 pm »

first bit of primer was applied today, and its not looking too bad, its taken 2 days worth of sanding to get it ready, i will apply another primer coat tomorrow befor the final top coats.

Bradley

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2010, 09:29:22 pm »

Interesting :-)).  What hull and dimensions please, Dan.

Derek.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.