Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kyosho Fortune 612  (Read 7985 times)

Dreadstar

Kyosho Fortune 612
« on: March 03, 2010, 06:08:47 pm »

I've just managed to lay my grubby little hands on one of these RTR yachts. I got her complete for 50.00,was this quite a good price for one of them? {:-{
 I've downloaded the manual,and I think that I've managed to rig her correctly. I'll soon find out if I haven't. :-))

jonny shoreboy

Re: Kyosho Fortune 612
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 07:13:23 pm »

If its anything like the Seadolphin 770 II you got yourself a real bargin!

Dreadstar

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 06:29:43 pm »

Had her down at the pond today,and she sails well in a light breeze,(think that should be light airs). Even will a barely decernable wind,she seems to slip along quite nicely. The only drawback that I could see,was that the sail servo,being just a basic model,couldn't reef in the sails against the wind,you needed to turn into the wind a bit first. Other than that,a very nice little 25" yacht,not to be confused with the Fortune 612 II,which is a lot bigger. :-))

Dreadstar

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 07:04:39 pm »

A couple of pics of the Fortune.

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 10:09:13 pm »

I would say you got one heck of deal. Kyosho shows the newer version of this boat having a retail price of $269.99 USD. I have a close friend that found one on E-bay last year. He got it for $100.00 USD which was a nice deal too. He just sold it for $125 USD. The newer version of this boat is the same boat, but with a new paint job and very cool looking new sails. Both are 612mm length hull (24.095 ")

I have sailed this boat and can report it is a very nice boat and suggest it is best suited for light wind conditons. The only issue for me, was that it's smaller size made it hard to see it when it was on the other side of the pond/lake. I like Seawinds in general. They all have nice lines and sail pretty well.

There is a guy advertising a newly designed upgraded hatch cover for the full size Seawind that is really sharp and appears to be the best solution out there for sealing leaky hatch issue they all have. I have attached some photos for any Seawind owners that might be interested.

It is listed for $38 USD on E-bay. The web page is http://cgi.ebay.com/Kyosho-Seawind-rc-sailboat-HATCH-COVER-UPGRADE-NEW_W0QQitemZ250585825071QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio_Control_Vehicles?hash=item3a58143f2f

Enjoy your new Boat!

Dreadstar

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 12:22:29 pm »

Had her down at the pond yesterday,but at times,the wind was just too strong,and even though I'd taped the hatches down,I still ended up with enough water in the hull to short out the receiver. Like the Seawind,this boat too suffers from leaky hatches,so I'm going to have to find another way of sealing them from water ingress.
  When the wind isn't too strong,she sails well though. here's a couple of pics of her underway. :-))

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 12:31:50 am »

Dreadstar,
Very sorry to hear you lost your receiver! A simple way to prevent this from ever happening again, besides correcting the leaky hatch, is to buy a few party balloons.
The put your new receiver inside the balloon, with the wires and antenna sticking out of the top of the balloon, then use a wire tie to seal the neck of the balloon.
Not sure if balloons have necks, but you get the idea. I 'd do the same to my battery pack.
When the boat is not in use I take the receiver out of the balloon to prevent any condensation from forming. I like yellow balloons myself, don't think the color will effect anything, if you don't like yellow.

There are a number of ways to properly seal your hatch. The foam you use is important. Open cell foam leaks. I use a high density foam with adhesive on one side as my gasket and then  added a couple of servo arms fastened to the deck on the sides of the hatch to put additional and even pressure on the hatch. If you need any more info I can send you a picture or two that show this approach. Tape works but is a real pain and looks terrible. Not to mention trying to get it off.
Good luck
Windchaser

Jake Bullit

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 12:45:36 pm »

I have the same boat.OK in light winds.I have upgraded servo for the main.I was getting some new sails made for my TT Voyager II,so had a set made for my fortune at the same time.
BTW  a chap here in Southport was selling one complete for that sort of money,is it the same boat per chance?

Dreadstar

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 04:52:01 pm »

It could well have been him Jake. :-)

Jake Bullit

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 08:42:25 pm »

Here`s mine with the new Housemartin main,loosley attached.Not got round to attaching the jib yet.Need to redo the masthead crane as the backstay now catches the leech of the new main.

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 02:43:19 am »

Dreadstar,
Very sorry to hear you lost your receiver! A simple way to prevent this from ever happening again, besides correcting the leaky hatch, is to buy a few party balloons.
Then put your new receiver inside the balloon, with the wires and antenna sticking out of the top of the balloon, then use a wire tie to seal the neck of the balloon.
Not sure if balloons have necks, but you get the idea. I 'd do the same to my battery pack.
When the boat is not in use I take the receiver out of the balloon to prevent any condensation from forming. I like yellow balloons myself, don't think the color will effect anything, if you don't like yellow.

There are a number of ways to properly seal your hatch. The foam you use is important. Open cell foam leaks. I use a high density foam with adhesive on one side as my gasket and then  added a couple of servo arms fastened to the deck on the sides of the hatch to put additional and even pressure on the hatch. If you need any more info I can send you a picture or two that show this approach. Tape works but is a real pain and looks terrible. Not to mention trying to get it off.
Good luck
Windchaser
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.