Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Club 500 race boats - Model Slipway.  (Read 31543 times)

Daniel

Re: Club 500 race boats - Model Slipway.
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2008, 11:25:29 pm »

will get my 500 fixed after it broke the arial tube at it's last outing and see if it still runs after being sat on a shelf for the last however many months it's been

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2008, 05:10:07 pm »

I have been playing hard and racing hard, now on my forth club 500 with another cut out ready for building.
Alan

Daniel

« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2008, 08:28:26 pm »

fraid i'd have to say i've never been happy with the performance of my 500, it isn't fast enough for me

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2008, 09:03:44 pm »

Not a fast boat in 'out & out' speed but in the club class all things are equal!  O0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Daniel

« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2008, 09:49:33 pm »

martin posted a piccie of the hull for my new build on my thread

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2008, 03:10:50 pm »

Daniel
I would like something a bit faster occasionally myself, but our club sails in a country park and it is as fast as we are allowed to use on the lake. We used to have a couple of members with faster electric boats, but they where told by the park wardens to remove them from the water. We are allowed club 500's.

Daniel

« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2008, 10:34:15 pm »

yeah i guess it depends where you sail as to the limit on the speed of the boat that can be used

adiefallguy

« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2008, 09:23:26 am »

Hi All,

Seems christmas came early for me, i have just taken delivery of a club 500 in green, and when i opened the box i got 1 hell of a shock, didnt expect quite so many bits for something that looked quite simple on the website.

fingers crossed the radio gear and speed controller come tomorrow.

just wondering though in the instructions it says to use 2 part epoxy glue which i dont have any of, but i do have a load of humbrol polycement that i used to use on static plastic model, would this do the job or should i go to B&Q and get some 2 part epoxy?

thanks
adie

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2008, 11:41:27 am »

Get some 2 part epoxy, you might find a cheap one in the local £pound shop.
30 minute stuff if you have never used it before, 5 minute if you have.
Rough up the surfaces first.

You could try Humbrol poly cement on off cuts to see if it holds.
Leave it at last an hour and try to tear the two pieces apart. If the plastic tears first, it's good enough.
Just be careful of melting.

Stabalit Express doesn't work!  {:-{

Let me know if you need more info as I have a photo build blog of mine if needs be.

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2008, 12:00:53 pm »

Adie
The boat just might meet something at speed at some time in its life.  If it does its better not to re-kit

So building some toughness into the seams - especially the deck-to hull joint is a GOOD PLAN - so is adding some built in buoyancy

If it helps I have discovered 151 Epoxy from pound shops - costs a pound! 
Amazingly it works well, too and I add quite a lot of microbaloons as well for gap-filling and lightness and sandability

I don't do 5-minute epoxies, and dislike most of the 30-minute ones - they seem to set rubbery and don't adhere as well as I like.  If you heat them on a radiator, lightbulb or mosquito killer they all harden in 10 minutes or so!

Is the boat a styrene moulding?  If so you can certainly use a solvent adhesive for the smaller joints, and adding doublers, etc. 
You might consider using hot-melt as well for fixing things inside, like motor mounts.  Silicone bathtub sealant is another good adhesive which is permanent but removable

andrew

adiefallguy

« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2008, 01:56:28 pm »

thanks for the advice, had never even considered bathroom sealent, got stacks of that in shed as i brought in bulk when i got my house as i planned to rip out the bathroom and kitchen....it never happened lol.

will give the polycement a try on a scrap piece and see what happens, if not ill go get some epoxy.

btw now got a racing pack and all the radio gear arrived while i was out so im really happy now and christmas really has started early.

if anyone can point me to there build logs that would be cool as it was quite daunting when i open the box and found 10 pieces, didnt expect that many lol.

thanks
adie

Wiggy

« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2008, 05:48:00 pm »

Hi Adie,
Welcome to the 'Club 500 'club, just don't take the racing too seriously! Terrific fun, like dogems on water only faster.
If you go to www.glue-it.com/boats/gallery/club500.html you will find their initial build review and then go to www.glue-it.com/boats/gallery/club500-2.html for their update, the pages don't seem to open but scroll down and they are there, just a long way down. I and a lot of others used 'No Nails' or something like that as the knocks you get when racing can cause epoxy to come away from the surface and leave a gap, even after roughening it up. When you build it you will find that the joint between the hull and the deck has some fairly big gaps and is not a close fit so 'poly' type cement doesn't seal it and some folk found that 'bath seal' again comes away after being knocked hard. The main point is to align the motor and shaft before you seal them in using about 1 1/2 volts to turn the motor slowly and use a multi meter set to 'Amps' to watch the current rise and fall and secure it at the lowest reading, time consuming but well worth it in the end. Make sure that you have it on a stand to stop the hull twisting when you do this.

Have fun  :-)),

Paul.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2008, 12:39:15 am »

This thread is turning up some very useful info on adhesives.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

adiefallguy

« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2008, 07:55:21 pm »

Hi All,

Just to let you know that i tried the poly cement on a sample piece and after an hour it was tough but the pieces parted and were still tacky, so did another piece and left it overnight, this morning i couldnt part them, even with 2 pairs of pliers i could break the bond.

thanks
adie

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2008, 10:14:55 pm »

Don't know how my club 500 is held together as stavros built it  :-)) and now it has a new battery it goes like stink.
Just one thing i have encountered whist whizzing around on the pond is flipping inverted  :embarrassed: ,has anyone any ideas in a self righting modification?? .
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

andyn

« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2008, 07:12:31 pm »

Glue together then sand down or trim and fit one over the other then glue

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2008, 07:31:55 pm »

Trim the top & the hull. Fit the top over the hull.
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2008, 09:36:08 pm »

adiefallguy

« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2008, 07:10:39 am »

thanks very much all,

i now know what im doing...first time for everything i know.

thats quite a collection of photos you have there martin, very good work.

thanks
adie

adiefallguy

« Reply #69 on: December 23, 2008, 07:22:25 am »

1 thing i have just noticed though martin, on the back of your motor you have fitted some extra components ( its too early in the monring to think of the name of them), what are these for and do i need to install them?

thanks
adie

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #70 on: December 23, 2008, 08:52:11 am »

1 thing i have just noticed though martin, on the back of your motor you have fitted some extra components ( its too early in the morning to think of the name of them), what are these for and do i need to install them?

The components are a 'electrical noise suppression kit'. I don't think I need them but in sometimes motors are a bit 'noisy' and
produce electrical interference with the radio which can cause various problems such as rudder jitter, loss of range, motor
interruptions. I'm told the component values are quite critical but any small disk capacitors seem to work for me!  %)

http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/stuff2.php

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk%2findex.html&WD=suppression&PN=geared_motors.html%23a1_21259#a1_21259

NB: In photo 73, 74 &75 you see I'd fitted a plastic washer on the rudder, this is because it was binding against the bottom of the hull... that's because the rubber 'O ring' included actually fits between the rudder tube flange and the outside of the hull.... obviously I found this out after I had glued it in place!  :embarrassed:

Ian Robins

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2008, 10:25:30 am »

Hi All,
Martins photos were a god send as photos are easier to understand than the instructions

Great idea Martin

ro88o0

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2008, 06:40:21 pm »

I'm an undercover agent for Model Slipway really!  :-))

chingdevil

« Reply #73 on: December 28, 2008, 06:58:50 pm »

Martin
With some of the shirts I have seen you in, I am not sure you have quite got the hang of undercover :} :} :} :} :} :} :} :}

Brian

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #74 on: December 28, 2008, 07:10:31 pm »

{-)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.