Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice Needed Re Painting/Construction etc  (Read 2760 times)

Martin13

Advice Needed Re Painting/Construction etc
« on: March 06, 2010, 10:31:05 pm »

Hi All,

Some time ago I purchased the Tamiya 1:350 plastic kit HMS Prince of Wales. The idea at the time was to be able to get a 3D superstructure representation of the model as I am building a 1:72 scale version. The kit is quite detailed and very impressive for such a small model. The suggested colours for the model are quite extensive and many tins required.
I'm not keen to spend the money for so many different colours but would still like it to look reasonable without the expense. I know there are many modellers on the forum that have built plastic kits and am asking for your advice as to which colours are needed to look reasonable without going the full expense.

As I have said, this kit is only used as a 3D model to assist construction of my larger beast at 3200mm long.

Any and all advice is much appreciated.

Martin doon under

Topic title changed at request of original poster.

Peter Fitness, Moderator.

Martin13

Re: Advice Needed Re Painting/Construction etc
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 03:08:52 am »

A Change of Plan.

I was thinking of only painting her in a very basic manner but recently decided to build her in camouflage colours. This would  give me some idea as to how the larger model would look in camouflage or leave in basic grey.

Just last week, the good lady purchased all the Tamiya paints to complete the job.

Now , in reading the instructions several times, they state that I should carefully plan the build and paint where necessary before and during construction.

This is my problem and it's silly. I can scratch build a model boat, but have no idea on how to construct a plastic kit as I have NOT done this before.

Can the forum please provide a plan of attack. I can airbrush the hull and deck immediately but have no idea where to go from here.

BASICALLY - HOW DO YOU BUILD AND PAINT (with Camouflage) A PLASTIC KIT :?: :?: :?:

Martin doon under

Damien

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 04:33:07 am »

Martin the instructions will start and proceed to the end in Tamiya's recommended order, the suggested pre-planning i assume regards to the painting of items before needed and usually show/state colour # beside the parts on the instruction sheets, i mostly strip the parts off the trees and clean dags off prior to painting other folks paint bit while still on the trees but that leaves small touch ups all over the model.
For holding fiddly bits i use bits of Blu-Tac on the end of wooden chop sticks to hold parts whilst painting.
Other than it's just bite the bullet and start following the instructions to completion.
Cheers Damien.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 08:41:30 am »

For such things as superstructure camoflage you have to complete the model in small sub assemblies, finish them in primer, dry assemble them, mark out the paintwork in pencil and then airbrush them seperately.  Where you decide to split the sub assemblies is up to your own discretion and depends on where the camoflage paint occurs.  Ensure that you mask off the joint surfaces otherwise the polystyrene glue will not adhere when you finally assemble the model.

Small details I always paint seperately, usually with them all stuck to a small piece of wood with turned over masking tape or Blu Tac.  There can then all be stuck to the assembled superstructure after the paint work has been finished.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Martin13

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 10:09:02 am »

A BIG thanks to Bunkerbarge, Damien and a beaut pm by Peter fitness. :-)) O0 :-)) O0 :-)) O0

I now feel more confident in attempting my first plastic kit.
I suppose what I found daunting was the intention of painting in Camouflage. I suppose if I totally stuff it up - just spray the whole thing grey and forget camouflage.

Thanks for the hints and tips - they count for a lot.

PS - during the build, I may call on you gents again ;)

Martin du

Martin13

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 10:10:05 am »

Thanks again Pete for the PM - much appreciiated

Martin du
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.