Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Working torpedoes anyone?  (Read 23231 times)

das boot

Re: Working torpedoes anyone?
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2008, 07:36:03 pm »

Torpedoes...I hope you can solder.  O0

Rich

Wasyl

« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2009, 09:35:04 pm »

Model working torpedoes are covered by the Firearms Act in Britain.

They are classed as projectiles and the vessel firing them has to conform to very strict laws (Too complicated to go into here), but under many circumstances, Licences have to be applied for and not likely to be given.....This is a Fact. people operating them do break the law so be careful...You have been warned...
If model,working torpedoes, are covered by the Firearms Act,into what catogory do the airsoft firing model tanks fall,there power is in the region of 1.6 joules,Furthermore,i have an rc 1/6th scale tank that can fire 8mm paint balls,using Co2 as a propellant,but this does not require to be registered, and i would have thought that a paint ball marker is more dangerous than a working model torpedo,which will after coming out of the tube will run aimlessly in the water,and depending on its power source,it will sink or swim

Wullie

barryfoote

« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2009, 07:10:52 am »

Good morning Wullie,

I notice that you live in Scotland and so the laws are different, although I believe quite similar. I am sorry to tell you that they are all governed by the firearms legislation, in so much as if the projectile being fired, either by compressed air or CO2 is ejected at greater than a certain velocity, which in England is either 6 or 12 foot pounds (I do not know the joule equivalent), depending on what is firing it, then they become firearms and therefore would be illegal.

The scale tanks, all fire well below the regulated pressure.

Barry

das boot

« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2009, 07:49:52 am »

My torpedoes never ran aimlessly in the water after firing Wullie...the bow was aimed at the target, torpedoes were fired and they would run *straight and true* until they either expired and floated, or hit their intended target. There's many a goose on Princes Park Lake in Eastbourne that will testify to that!    :embarrassed:

(mind you, there was the time when we were testing the prototypes and one of 'er indoors goldfish was fatally injured....)     {-)

Rich

RonP

« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2010, 10:10:38 pm »

There seems to be a misconception about the firearms act, it covers explosive devices not air,gas or electric propulsion unless a certain velocity is exceeded (as in an air rifle)
you can legally fire an estes rocket and I have launched many a torpedo at public displays as well as my local pool on many occasions and once in front of the then Lady Dianne Spencer and all her
security staff looking on. If you are planning on putting live warheads on them then expect trouble (conspiring to make an explosion) but as long as they have a limited range and speed
then you should not get into trouble, however if you have third party insurance then tell the brokers what you are doing for your own peace of mind and remember if you do actually sink someone
they can make a claim, its not likely but some balsa boats can be very week.
RonP

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2010, 07:33:45 pm »

Nice to see you on here Ron.

RonP

« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2010, 10:52:10 pm »

Thanks Turbulent, I'm still alive and kicking.
As for torpedoes, the link shows one of the units I made for my 1/72nd Revell Gato being tried out.
Hope you like it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF3zfSwSEOc

Patrick Henry

« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2010, 02:41:17 pm »

That's not THE RonP is it Turbs, old boy?

Rich

snowwolflair

« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2010, 02:57:27 pm »

Its the velocity that matters.  I doubt that any scale torpedo will be launced at an illegal speed.

On explosives, I am not sure of the current legislation, however we used to be black powder registered and bought rockets and "depthcharges" pre-manufactured with built in electrical firing from Standard fireworks.  We never modified or tampered with them, as supplied they were legal.

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2010, 05:50:11 pm »

That's not THE RonP is it Turbs, old boy?

The very same - I told you he wasn't dead!

Rich

Patrick Henry

« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2010, 08:46:21 pm »

Good grief...now there's a turn up for the books!

RonP

« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2010, 01:44:54 pm »

Someone once said that rumours of my death are much exaggerated, yes I'm still  alive and kicking. After a gap of almost twenty years I have come back to model subs. I quit in the early 90s due to pressure of work, I had changed my full time job and was working a lot of hours. The pay was good but I had a lot of trouble working full time and trying to run R&R at the same time,something had to give. I got myself a reputation for slow delivery and I can understand peoples frustration with me at the time so decided to put the whole lot to bed for keeps. I took up dog showing
for a while and my mut got a first at Crufts in 1999 so we did good. Any road up, about 18months ago a friend to whom I owe more than I can ever repay, turned up with an Engel Typhoon
and asked what he should do with it. After the obvious suggestion I gave it some thought and designed a couple of modules for the model based around a much improved version of my piston ballast tanks. I fitted the boat with a couple of torpedo tubes and a bow thruster (not scale) and the whole plot works really well. I guess that fired me up again and a trip to Norwich model boat club was the clincher. Those guys are so enthusiastic about subs---its contagious, so I got busy with the fizzy again and built myself an Alpha that had been in my loft for years together with some other old moldings. The Alpha is great fun and has enabled me to further develop the module concept. I'm busy working on the torpedo design with a view to going back into the market
in the spring with the module, a motor box and of course the torps. I'm now pretty much retired (not my choice) so I have loads of time on my hands.
Check out these links, first time out for both boats but the alpha was not as good as I hoped but its sorted now.
Regards to all
RonP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhvRLkgBSuI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF3zfSwSEOc

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2010, 06:39:01 pm »

I think the most impressive thing about this is the stability of the Typhoon when partially submerged & the bow thrusters working.

When will you get these units on the Market Ron?

Might even put a set of tubes in the Akula

RonP

« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2010, 09:36:09 pm »

Target is the spring (End of March/beginning of April) I am building up 5 units (1 maybe 2 is for Ramesh) at present and have the motor boxes done and ready, I am awaitiing carbon fibre tube for torpedo bodies and new moulds for tails and caps so that I can build up some for stock. I am NOT going to get caught out with delivery problems when I get going.
I,m coming up to Norwich as soon as the weather breaks with the Alpha and Mick has said he is coming with the Typhoon. I've promised to let Jeff know when.
Regards
RonP

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2010, 11:10:56 am »

One thing about launching torpedoes that springs to mind - they exit relatively slowly and accelerate to their final speed, so even a quite heavy one will have a low ft/lb figure.  Bullets, by their nature, peak at the point of leaving the muzzle, then progressively slow down.
I can see the authorities frowning upon BB firing models shooting at each other in the UK.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Leaky

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2010, 01:27:20 pm »

Ron P will these new dive modules incorporate features that can be retro fitted to your old tanks?- as i have a pair i could fit to an old project. Sorry for the diversion from topic :embarrassed:
badly raised and ill mannered.

RonP

« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2010, 10:36:09 am »

Sorry but the answer is no, the whole system has been redesigned from scratch, the gears are helical the threads are metric, the tubes are clear acrylic (with drain screws) and the main components are polyester. If you check out the sub driver forum there are pictures on there of my Alpha with the module in it. Its nice to know that my tanks are still operational after what must be close to twenty years. I still have a few spares (gears etc)if you need them.
RonP
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.