Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Steam Tug & Cheddar 'Claire' Steam Launch  (Read 4952 times)

King

Steam Tug & Cheddar 'Claire' Steam Launch
« on: March 08, 2010, 10:09:53 pm »

Thought I'd put up the two steam vessels of the fleet!

Cheddar 'Claire' Steam Launch

Bought late last year picked it up brand new (model shop was clearing old stock).
This was a ready to run steam launch made by Cheddar before they closed.
Great shame they closed down, amazing quality and incredibly well thought out layout.
A stainless steel tray containing the engine, boiler & servos slides out with the removal of one nut.
Roof is made from ABS and is attached with velcro so you can remove for access to everything

Specs:

35" Long x 8 ½" Beam
Engine: Cheddar Pintail V-Twin Oscillator
Working Pressure: 45 PSI
Butane Fired

Click on any of the pics to expand them.

Steam Tug

This is another very recent purchase
I know very little about the model itself only that it's 1:32 scale.
It is powered by a Maxwell Hemmens MAX II Boiler & Engine (when it arrived the boiler was so solid
with limescale the sight glass bottom fitting was completely blocked.

If anyone could fill me in with what the model is of that would be great! It was named 'Ruth' But I
have had a bad experience with someone called Ruth, so it was re-named to Medway.

Couple of bits to do: way too much silicone tubing in the engine room going to replace that with
copper and have a bit of a tidy up. not happy with the light blue around the bridge, probably
replace with Buff to match the funnel.

The engine is fitted with a water pump which is fed from a water tank built into the bow.

Specs:

45 ½" Long x 12" Beam
Engine: Maxwell Hemmens MAX II
Working Pressure: 80 PSI
Butane\Propane Fired

Underpressure

Re: Steam Tug & Cheddar 'Claire' Steam Launch
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 10:21:16 pm »

Nice boats. By the looks of them neither has ever been run.

The Claire seems to have become a bit of a collectors item, I have seen a couple sell for silly money and I'm not quite sure why, rarity I guess.

Like the tug, that''s my sort of boat.

Summers coming, time to have fun getting all steamed up  :-))

south steyne

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 10:39:44 pm »

Hi very nice models I am relatively new to live steam and and am a bit confused regarding working pressures as I have a scratch built twin cylinder engine with 1/2 in bore and 3/4 in stroke and runs very well from 10 to 35 psi do some engines require more pressure than others in similar sizes as you are running working pressure of 85 psi.
I do know that some small loco's in 5 in gauge haul 10 adults with a similar psi any input would be much appreciated
Cheers
John  {:-{

MONAHAN STEAM MODELS

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 11:57:46 pm »

Wow! Very nice Models! Thanks for sharing! :-))

King

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 09:24:06 am »

Hi very nice models I am relatively new to live steam and and am a bit confused regarding working pressures as I have a scratch built twin cylinder engine with 1/2 in bore and 3/4 in stroke and runs very well from 10 to 35 psi do some engines require more pressure than others in similar sizes as you are running working pressure of 85 psi.
I do know that some small loco's in 5 in gauge haul 10 adults with a similar psi any input would be much appreciated
Cheers
John  {:-{

Heya,

Glad to see you've got into steam, however it is addictive, for me it started with a Mamod when I was four, now I have:
six Mamods, two Wilescos, a Unit steam plant, Claire steam launch, steam tug & a 5" gauge Sweet Pea (+ loads more I've forgotten {:-{).

Working pressure defines the maximum pressure the boiler was made to run at (any higher and the safety valves should vent the excess).
It also gives a figure for hydraulic and steam tests.
Both engines will quite happily run at 20 PSI, but the Hemmens will give a longer run.

Hope this makes sense!

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Thanks Charles

King

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 07:13:23 pm »

I had a bit of spare time today so I steamed the launch and took a video. (quality isn't brilliant, it's one of these action cameras for motorsport).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAPh1CD6AM0

I also took an 'on-board' video, but that just ended up being a 2 minute video of the boiler  {:-{.

Hope you enjoy!

benjaml1

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 08:21:19 am »

Looks very nice on the water....  :-))

Roger in France

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 09:13:42 am »

A boat to be proud of, excellent.

Roger in France

King

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 06:48:56 pm »

Cheers guys, when I eventually get some time free I'll do a video of the tug!

Charles
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 19 queries.