Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Towing winches  (Read 4191 times)

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
Towing winches
« on: March 12, 2010, 10:44:04 am »

I'm looking for information and/or photos of the braking system on towing winches such as used on the Smit Nederland and other similar tugs. I know they are a band brake arrangement, and the brakes are probably applied via a hydraulic cylinder mounted on the back side of the winch, but what does the cylinder mounting arrangement look like?
 Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks
John

tassie48

Re: Towing winches
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 11:45:58 pm »

oldiron hi I use to be a bosun on a couple of seagoing tugs 70-90s and the brakes we had  were a band brake system operated by L shaped handle we did  carry spare linings the other ones had a round cylinder bottom mounted to the winch frame upward facing and the cylinder use to pull down the brake band to apply the brakes these were water feed tap cooled when in over run or the barge /oil rig took off.Later model newer tugs had hydraulic brakes like a dics brake in board of the drum and tow line reel with truck type disc pads huge things self tension hydraulics motors high speed run in and run out we use to uncouple the gog winch aft to keep (center of gravity) to allow free run when the skipper would get us out of shape side on to the rig or the barge our enginner use to swap bands over and repair as required.The cylinder is like a small industrial motor with cooling fins cast into the body doulde lip seals and a 3/4" shaft with eye in end to attach to the adjuster to pull down the brake band.
On my modelTug  i fitted a self winding fishing reel because it is self laying spool across the drum which keeps the line even i removed the one way bearings and fitted stainless bearings and chain drive with a slide out tupper ware water container to catch water drips of the tow line from under the winch one could see the drum and the side way rollers the rest was build in hope this helps tassie48.

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 01:24:10 am »

Tassie:

Thanks very much for the reply. I'm going to study your description and see if I can put it into three dimension.
 You mentioned the use of a fishing reel. I had been thinking of doing that, but trying to find a cheap one is not easy. Now that the weather is getting warmer I'm going to have to hit the yard sales to see what i can come up with.

Thanks again for your help.

John

tassie48

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 03:48:24 am »

John I got mine from ebay us15 brand new do not forget to get the one way bearings out of the reel and bolt down to the keel plate for strength I use a 385 motor to drive the reel stainless steel gear is great and looks the part make sure the tupper ware plastic tray is under the reel to collect the water its surprising how much water you get. I use dacron line 85 kg lays good and will not stretch at all use to winch the boat up and hang it just on the reel bolt thru the two plates that attach to the rod hope this helps tassie48.

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 08:38:15 am »

Hi John
You are making a great job of that winch, here are four photos of the breaking system on the Svitzer Maltby hope they help.

Brian

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 09:13:11 am »

chipchase....that is not just a plain conventional hydraulic cylinder as mounted to the winch/windlass...we see the hose/line to the headcap to retract....& the hose/line to the endcap to extend....  %) :-) ... could the reduced diameter section outboard of the headcap be a housing for a compression spring?.....thinking of a fail safe operation?.....loose hydraulic power for any reason the compression spring applies the reverse braking force? .... O0 ...Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 10:49:46 am »

chipchase:
 Thanks very much for the excellent photos. Very helpful.
 Thanks for the compliment on the winch too.

John

RayMilner

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 01:55:29 pm »

Hello John,
I came across your posting while looking for Towing Winches. We are North Sea Winches of Scarborough, England, and we make deck winches so have a look at the attached photographs to see if the brake mechanisms help in any way. They are failsafe cylinder-operated drum brakes, spring-applied/pressure-released.
Regards
Ray Milner

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 02:22:05 pm »

Thanks very much. Great pictures.

John

RayMilner

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 03:07:38 pm »

OK, glad to be of help.
Your own photographs look great, good luck with the project.
Ray
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 22 queries.