Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tug Alfred  (Read 4780 times)

class27

Tug Alfred
« on: March 12, 2010, 06:08:22 pm »

Hello
I have been looking at the tyne models  Alfred kit and wonder if anyone out there can advise on how well it makes up ,what additional parts will be reqd, and any other information you think may be usefull
I have not built any model boats for around 28 years as I have been modelling in 12" to the foot scale classic race cars ,but alas the cost of competing is getting out of hand ,so perhaps it's time to put the workshop to other uses
I have looked at the Alfred kit as it takes me back to my earlier years when my dad and I built the PBM Alfred I was thinking bigger would be better as I have lost my fine touch working with full size bits and pieces. By the way anyone out there remember Dunn's models in Perth I worked there as the "boy " 1981-2 till 84
thanks

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
Re: Tug Alfred
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 07:20:51 pm »

Hy
 I would say go for it.
I made the model Alfred last year and it really does make a good looking tug, I also made the Ironsider  trhough that is 1/24 scale both from Tyne Models. At the moment I am just about to start on the Seasider from Orion Moulding,s. I like the 60,s/70,s type of tug as I wqorked on some of them as a youngster. Funny enough ( or not) you worked at Dunn,s Models, and I worked on Duns Tugs (Newport Screw Towing co ) I will try and take a pic or two later and post them through.
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

class27

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 07:50:23 am »

Thanks  Bosun
Can you give me an Idea of what is not in the kit? I assume that some wood, plasticard and brass will be needed ,and also the hardware, but what about shaft and prop? As with all modelling hobbies the progress is huge in the last 25 years and for the better. I suppose only the hardcore scratchbuilders would perhaps not agree with this

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 07:44:11 pm »

Hy Class 27
The kit has a F/G Hull, with the deckhousing and wheelhouse combined as one unit, you need to cut out the window,s and I found the glassfibre to be a bit thick and that meant a lot of messing with the Dremel.
All the deck gear is with the kit ie winches, capstan, lifeboat derick,ect, I bought the stern tube, shaft, prop and kort seperate, the kort is a big one at just over 4 inches. I use a 12 pole 12 volt motor running at 3000 rpm, with an Action esc. As for the plans I do what I usually do with my tugs, look at them ,then and throw them in the corner, maybe not good practise as some see it, but at the end of the day I do my own thing.
Here are some pics. Hope this helps.
Bosun
The last couple show The Ironsider also from Tyne Models
bosunsmodelboats.com

class27

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 11:31:26 pm »

Thanks for the pictures Bosun. Impressive models
I have had a look at Propshop's site for a 4" Kort and prop and if I'm being honest with myself I think I will need about £500.00 to do this properly
Have you seen the "Milford Haven" section in the galleries  I think the tug in the drydock could be one of this type there is a slight difference in the wheelhouse window arrangement ,but that's it. Does anyone out there know which one it is ??
once again thanks for your help
cheers
Steve

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 07:18:46 am »

Hy Steve
The Hurricane H was previously known as the Margam and worked out of Swansea.
There are a lot of similarities between her and the Alfred, I dont know of any kits on the market for her, maybe some of the other mayhemmers can help.
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 03:06:25 pm »

Hi Steve,

Like you, I too built PBM's Alfred many years ago, my first attempt to build a scale boat, after 25 years in the RN. Whilst up in Cheshire a few years ago I went to a show put on by A MODEL WORLD, and was enthusing about the tugs on Tyne Models stand, and then my eyes came out on organ stops, when I spotted their model of Alfred. I was lost, I had to get myself one, and I'm dead chuffed that I did. It took some building with my limited skills, but although nowhere near exhibition standard, it pleases me, and that's what it's all about, isn't it? Fully loaded it's a heavy boat, and takes some launching and recovering, but looks good on the water. I now have three tugs in Alexandra Towing Company colours, Joffre, Alfred, and I've converted my Seaport tug to ATC too! And before anyone asks, no, I'm not from Liverpool!!!

Danny

class27

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 11:42:34 pm »

Looks like I'm all out of excuses then
To that end I've e-mailled Les at tyne models and asked him to sort one out for the south shields show .I would prefer to talk to them and pick it up there It will be worth the 7 hr round trip and I can drop the boss off at the metro centre on the way and pick her up on the way back   and if I don't say anything about her purchases then she can't say anything about mine !! A plan with no drawbacks

class27

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 11:00:53 pm »

I have another question
This will probably be the first of many
While searching through my Mum's attic I found a good Marx Hectoperm motor. Will this be suitable for Alfred??
Next question already
As the motor is 6V what battery would be best?? I would think to use a heavy battery which will double as ballast and give good run time is the way to go, that way the battery can be removed making the model easier to handle and transported as 2 pieces
your thoughts please
cheers
Steve

Channel

• Full Mayhemer
    • Channel Images
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 10:49:32 pm »

Hy Steve
The Hurricane H was previously known as the Margam and worked out of Swansea.
There are a lot of similarities between her and the Alfred, I dont know of any kits on the market for her, maybe some of the other mayhemmers can help.
Bosun

Hurricane H, ex Margam was different to the Alfred/Albert. I sailed on her when with Svitzer and then for the Greek owner. I was on the helm when she went out of Swansea for the last time and for the passage Milford for dry docking prior to passage to Greece. A fine tug she was, thought very highly of by those who worked her. A good sea boat also.
Follow my blog - www.channelimages.com

ellisgarth

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 09:46:10 pm »

i have just got the tug alfred in a swap she looks brilliant.go out and buy the kit its worth every penny
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.