Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mice  (Read 2733 times)

BrianCartwright

Mice
« on: March 05, 2010, 05:27:32 pm »

Well it says almost anything so here goes.
We once had a mouse in the house.The little devil got everywhere..Early one morning I caught it in a box and released it in a nearby field.
Now I have another one only this one is afraid of nothing..It just sits there defiantly.
Now there are alsorts of mice but this one is a WIRELESS Mouse.It sits there flashing its little red light and works when it feels like it which is'nt very often.I have cured it  though.With a deft flick of my thumb I disemboweled it (Well removed its battery.)I've now got a wired mouse which is more reliable
Computer 29.Myself one things are looking . :-))
I think it was a Mr.Babbage who invented computers.He must have hated the human race.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Mice
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 04:34:33 pm »

Mr Babbage had the sense to do it with much polished brass.  Probably worked by a man with a white coat and a serious expression.
I tend to regard computer rodents as expendable, a bit like biros.  Except that being tethered, the mouse cannot go into hiding.
My last one was a gentleman one, but I picked it up one day recently, and the locking ring dropped out in two parts, and its ball (gentleman mouse) made its break for freedom.  My spare seemed a bit over sensitive, as the curser (not a mis-spell) kept wandering off, leftward and upward, so round to the shop, got a fresh one.  A USB (universal serial bewilderment) one.  Would it install? Would it buttery(NO).  Windows said it wanted a file on the installation CD.  Would it find it?  Would it (NO).  So a repair re-install, since all my backups seemed to have the same trouble.  The mouse now worked.  Great.  The PC then said "Updates are available".  61 of them.  Hour and a half later, "Updates are available".  "Would you like to install XP SP3?".  Hour or so later, give up for the night.  Morning after, "Updates are available"  >:-o  Only 40-odd this time.  Came back after lunch, "Updates are available".  <*<  Only 4 this time.  A couple more tries, we seem to have caught up with it. 
From a good back-up it takes about 25 minutes to reload the entire operating system, the programs and settings.  The Windows repair install took over an hour (sat on 39 minutes to go for AGES).  Then the several hours doing updates.  >>:-(
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Dueller

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 05:12:24 pm »

I use "Ubuntu" Linux, got so fed up with windoze. It does everything i want it to but you do have to fiddle with it occasionally to run any programmes that are windoze based.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

you do have to be a bit of a techie though

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 07:44:33 pm »

I did try ubuntu a few distros ago, but decided that learning a new language just wasn't worth the hassle.  It was a bit like getting a brand new CPM machine, but with Windows, Icons, Mouse and Pointer (WIMP environment for those with the chance of long memories).  I do expect that ubuntu will progress to being easier for the non-techies to get to grips with, but I also expect that Windows versions will become better behaved.  Much depends on what is available the next time I have to buy it a new toy - eventually the new toy will not work with what I have, at which point choices will have to be made. 
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 08:00:26 pm »

I think it's a philosophical issue. Some people like to play with the nuts and bolts of the system, others just see it as a tool. I have an IT background but basically I just want to do want I want to do which isn't very technically complicated and if Windows and IE8 do the job without undue hassle I just don't have the urge to get to grips with more exotic offerings such as Ubuntu or Linux which simply absorb time which could be better spent on other things. As always it's just horses for courses.

Colin

Dueller

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 08:30:35 pm »

I was introduced to computers in the era of DOS which was complicated then through windows 3.1, 95, 98, 2000, ME, XT then XP. I have fiddled and learnt over time how to solve problems, mainly because i have not had enough spare cash to have someone sort it for me.

A couple of years ago XP stopped working and then locked my hard disc. Enough was enough so i bought and installed a new hard disc, loaded Ubuntu, unlocked my old hard disc and have used it ever since. After two years it's become second nature like XP has to many.

I'm not anti Microsoft, they make good easy to use products, my change was to sort a problem.

It used to be possible to download Ubunto and set it up as a dual operating system so you can fiddle when not on windows.

PMK

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 09:00:05 pm »

It used to be possible to download Ubunto and set it up as a dual operating system so you can fiddle when not on windows.

I believe you still can.
I have an Acer PC, came pre-loaded with Vista, which, no matter what I try, will not allow me to remove that particular OS in favour for the earlier XP. The only workaround so far is, as you say, to have a dual-boot system -- in my case, Ubuntu. It wasn't that long ago, so at a guess I'd say that it's probably still possible to download a version.

Talking of mice, and for what it's worth, I've been using one of those cordless jobbies. This particular one came free with a laptop, about half the size of its corded counterpart, fits snugly in the palm and the single-cell battery seem to last for ever.
And yes - give me DOS any day.

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 09:29:02 pm »

Well it says almost anything so here goes.
We once had a mouse in the house.The little devil got everywhere..Early one morning I caught it in a box and released it in a nearby field.
Now I have another one only this one is afraid of nothing..It just sits there defiantly.
Now there are alsorts of mice but this one is a WIRELESS Mouse.It sits there flashing its little red light and works when it feels like it which is'nt very often.I have cured it  though.With a deft flick of my thumb I disemboweled it (Well removed its battery.)I've now got a wired mouse which is more reliable
Computer 29.Myself one things are looking . :-))
I think it was a Mr.Babbage who invented computers.He must have hated the human race.

Silly question, but did you try the connect button? Every wireless mouse I have come across has a button on the mouse and one on the reciever to bind them

Wom
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 10:55:46 pm »

Silly question, but did you try the connect button? Every wireless mouse I have come across has a button on the mouse and one on the reciever to bind them

Wom

Yep, either that or try a new battery when the light starts flashing!

PMK

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 11:18:04 pm »

The weird thing about this one (Logitech) is that there is no need for the usual binding. I've cropped the photo but you can make out that it's just the mouse itself and the the USB Rx, and the only switches are an on/off and reset. You simply pop the Rx into any USB port and Windows configures it automatically. The previous one (also Logitech) had the more-familiar bind buttons.

andyn

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 12:02:11 am »

I use an X7 X-748K gaming mouse. Will never buy another type of mouse again...

It's got 6 fully programmable buttons that you can edit using the software that comes with it. It also has a DPI setting button by the wheel that changes the sensitivity (also programmable) between 400dpi (hardly moving at all) to 3200 dpi, which you have to be quick to keep up with. Fits nicely in the hand even though it's quite big and comes with a set of weights to change the speed you can push it around at. You can also change button response times and all that lovely stuff. All for a shade under £20 posted.

You also need the right surface for the mouse. Opticals and lasers tend to wander on just about everything. The RAZER mats are the best you can get...

http://www.x7.cn/en/product.asp?id=40
http://www.amazon.co.uk/A4-X-748K-Gaming-mouse-3200/dp/B001B2RTBY
http://www.amazon.co.uk/RAZER-GOLIATHUS-ALPHA-LARGE-CONTROL/dp/B001CA7E0G/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1268006383&sr=1-4

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 07:44:54 am »

Lidl do a good one which is similar to PMK's pic  ie USB powered, no matching up and an additional 5 buttons to the normal set. It was £7.99 last time it was stocked but you almost have to queue up at opening time to buy one ! I tried to replace my old one a few days ago and made the mistake of wandering in late morning on offers day (Thursday) - all gone at both my local branches and they never seem to re - stock.
Just have to keep an eye on Lidl's page for the next time around (and Aldi )

Mike

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 11:16:04 am »

Must be one of the few using a tracker ball. Changed over about 15 years ago and have never run out of desk space. Initially the double friction wheel like the original meeces and latterly the optical type.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

BrianCartwright

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 10:07:50 am »

There are two things which fascinate me in life.(Three if you count the memsahb with whom I am totally besotted.Well perhaps a slight exageration)
The first is model boating today is mind bogling with the attention to design,detail and complexity.
The second is model boat mayhem Chit Chat.Make a casual comment and it can devolop into quite a discussion
I posted the mice thingy whilst watching some paint to dry and contemplating my naval.It helped to pass the time.
Wom,it's not a silly question as I am prone to doing silly things,but yes I did do the basic checks.
Regards Brian

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.