Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Down in the workshop...  (Read 9077 times)

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
Re: Down in the workshop...
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2006, 06:53:53 pm »

Sigmund Freud would have analised us all..... as a herd of GOGS....  ;D
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

anmo

• Full Mayhemer
  • That's unpossible!
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2006, 07:20:05 pm »

Sigmund Freud would have analised us all..... as a herd of GOGS....  ;D

'Analised' ?  I'm rather hoping that was a Freudian slip in itself  Jörg .....
caution, may contain traces of nuts .....

OMK

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2006, 08:48:04 pm »

I'm sure phsycoligists would have a field day with it!

Just as a matter of nosey, I wondered how the spellchecker would handle your spelling of phsycoligists.
Quite funny what it came back with.

Nice shop.
Nice pictures!

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2006, 10:54:11 pm »

Hey Bunkerbarge, nice workshop.

I notice you have a grinder as well. I've found this the perfect answer to shaping those pesky bits of plastic. The fine wheel is ideal for grinding up to the line, and it doesn't hurt after a while of touching the wheel at speed  8)

Cheers...Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2006, 12:23:17 am »

Hey Bunkerbarge, nice workshop.

I notice you have a grinder as well. I've found this the perfect answer to shaping those pesky bits of plastic. The fine wheel is ideal for grinding up to the line, and it doesn't hurt after a while of touching the wheel at speed  8)

Cheers...Ken

Thanks for the comments Ken but I'm afraid I must point out that grinding wheels really shouldn't be used for anything other than ferrous metal. 

Ferrous metal grinds remain loose and clear the wheel easily and join the general dust, ejected in conjunction with the eroding wheel.  Soft materials such as non ferrous metals, plastics, acrylics, perspex, and most of all wood, do not clear the wheel and remain lodged within the surface structure of the wheel.  What can happen is that the material can overheat, expand and cause a small particle of the wheel to break away.

The instant this happens the wheel becomes out of balance and there is a very real danger the wheel can explode before it stops.  I know it is very tempting to use the wheel for all sorts of materials and it makes life so much easier but I have to advise against doing such a thing.

Check out this link for a bit more detail:

http://www.brad.ac.uk/admin/estates/downloads/risks/MECH100_0.pdf
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Roger in France

« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2006, 06:44:36 am »

That is a valid point about grinding wheels "exploding" I once saw the results of that happening. Luckily the operator was not injured but the bench, wall behind etc were flayed.

A better option for grinding non ferrous material is a combined belt and disc sander. They are quite widely available and cheap from "Machine Mart"; "Screwfix" etc.

Yes, I thought that workshop was a tad clean! I like to keep mine clean but that shop was spotless! Some great models etc on display though.

On the issue of supporting lengths of material which are inclined to deform....there is a device known as an Aeries Lever which has rollers and support points mathematically spaced so as to provide points of support which avoid deformation. Not a darn bit of use in a workshop but I thought I would share a little useless info. as it is the only kind I have!

Roger in France.

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2006, 10:33:19 am »

Gentlemen, when I look on the photographs of your workshops I really feel myself being a modeler 3rd class.....- mine never ever had a look like yours....  :-[

In such a clean workshop I would never touch a piece of anything for fearing bringing some dust in....  :D

Jörg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2006, 12:25:56 pm »

Jörg, if you could see mine you'd feel a lot better...  ;D

rats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2006, 12:28:59 pm »

Nice workshop Bunkerbarge ! But could you tell me What make of lathe that is - its just the sort of thing im looking for, would you recommend it ?
           cheers rats

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2006, 12:29:41 pm »

I feel a little competition coming on
Lets see the most untidy workshop?

Have a look here: http://www.peatol.com/

I have this lathe, well made etc. lots of accessories and good service from the suppliers.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2006, 01:55:06 pm »

Thank you Bunkerbarge. I shall no longer use this method. I have ground the wheel with ferrous metal and worn away a new edge, to clear the debris. (had my goggles on and the protective perspex covering the wheel)

I must admit, this had never occurred to me. I am a lucky chap to survive any disasters.

Once again.Thanks

Cheers...Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2006, 04:40:12 pm »

Ken,  I would hate to have come across as a bit of a know-it-all but I would have been more dissapointed with myself if someone had been hurt and I hadn't said anything.  I really appreciate your comments.

Rats, interestingly enough I have been having a discussion regarding this very issue on another forum that you may find of interest here:

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3974

As you can see from that there are a large number of very similar lathes out there all originally manufactured from the sames sources in China.  Mine is a "Chester" lathe, you will find some comments about it if you follow some of the links refeered to in the link I mentioned above.

I am extreemly pleased with mine as regards quality combined with price and features.  I also have very positive experiences with Chester as a company so that helped my decision.  I have since discovered a wealth of accesories and resources to help any prospective buyer get the most from his machine which I will be making the most of in the near future.

I started off with a Unimat4 which was OK for a lot of very simple work but I very soon became frustrated with it's limitations.  It didn't have a compound slide and it's size was very restrictive but the biggest challenge for me was the belt drives which didn't last five minutes.

The Chester Mini lathe comes complete with automatic thread cutting, variable speed control and a lot of features you may expect on a larger machine.  I went for the model that included the digital readouts which I wasn't 100% convinced of until I tried it.  They make so many operations so much easier so even with an engineering background and many hours on assorted large lathes I appreciated the digital units immediately.

"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

rats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2006, 08:34:39 pm »

Thanks for that Bunkerbarge, a lot of good links there : plenty of food for thought !
              cheers rats

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2006, 10:05:14 pm »

very nice bunkerbarge and a pool table aswell very cool,

Though my workshop is the living room floor, so i have a sofa, widescreen TV, DVD, Surround sound and unusal for a living room a compressor, airbrush loads of tools and a 3 foot uboat, Kitchen and Fridge in very close vicinity with little building time wasted on walking to the fridge during those in between paint drying periods when i can actually pull myself away and eat something ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

It can get a bit annoying but dad doesnt really mind, and as its in that in between stage of vast home improvement its not really ruining anything for now, but when thats finished i fear i may have to get a shed.

Grant :)      (currently looking at sheds in the argos catalogue) ;D ;D ;D ;D

Tug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2006, 08:36:41 pm »

uboat builder, I would have to re-in force Rogers statement above,  "no workshop is big enough"

I had a double garage built (precast concrete insulated etc) and still ran out of space, now looking for a bigger house (with a barn?)

the old workshop back bedroom, is still used for small jobs railway and car stuff with unimat 3 in charge, myford in 'shed' in bits and a spare one for parts.

There is no end to it, A quote from somewhere else ran like...." He who dies with the most stuff wins" [ I am getting there] Tug
Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three
 weeks before you need it.

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2007, 01:54:10 pm »

OH I know. i have no room anywhere thats why i have to do everything in the living room, aswell as boats i collect die cast model cars and military aircraft, and have a number of RC Cars I have no room for anything. we need a whole other house for our stuff

Boats are the most recent of my hobbies ive taken up, and is fast becomeing a problem space wise, which is why i stick to smaller scale kits like the tamiyas ;D ;D

Grant :)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 21 queries.