Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving away from a standing vessel.  (Read 1919 times)

polaris

• Shipmate
Moving away from a standing vessel.
« on: March 13, 2010, 04:00:11 pm »

Dear All,

After yet another long and interesting conv. with a relation - now retired - (who has Capt. many vessels in excess of 60k tonnes), it was interesting to note that his considered opinion is/was (after seeing how certain models had performed), that there was not very much diff. between them and the 'real thing' - this opinion taken by weight equivalent, bow shape, etc., etc., etc.. It was interesting to note that he always kept a min. of 5 knts. of headway on any close manouvering, only coming to 'full stop' when not further manouvering was required - there is only a bit more to this but I won't go into same as it is not really necessary.

This whole conv. started with my telling him about my experiences in 'short turning' my 2m Belfast, in as much that if there was no headway (& this depending on bow config. obviously), the manouver was much more difficult to perform from stationary. As he pointed out, the 'real thing' (whatever weight/propulsion/power wise), needed such a power
kick from dead stop to manouver, that it left little to no margin for error considering current/wind/suction etc..

He stated the only manoeuvring mistake he made during his career was the following. Just within a certain harbour, he had to bring a 60k t. vessel alongside another similar sized vessel to take on-board a gas cargo. So, this meant bringing his unladen - but ballasted vessel - alongside a similar sized cargo but laden vessel that was at anchor. They (he), duly discharged ballast in proper transferring arrangements. However, once trans. and ready for underway, this is where the slight prob. commenced. The discharging vessel was at anchor, and his did not need to be in the circs., this resulted in his vessel becoming normal laden draught unanchored, but the discharging vessel becoming unladen. Therefore, after cargo trans. when the (his), now the laden vessel being loaded and finally being able to be underway, the suction caused by his vessel, caused the unladen vessel to follow!!! He saw what was happening at slow ahead, but then went full ahead as it was the only option in the circs., and his vessel swivelled nicely - as it happened - around the bow of the unladen vessel, thankfully however only catching the bridge wing ladder on the unladen vessels anchor chain! After his initial request for the unladen vessel to move away from his being refused point blank, my relations determination after this experience, was that he would forever refuse point blank ever again to move any/his laden vessel away from any unladen vessel at anchor... viz., the unladen vessel MUST move away at all times from the laden vessel.

Have any other marine professionals on Mayhem had a similar experience?

Regards, Bernard

polaris

• Shipmate
Re: Moving away from a standing vessel.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 04:15:37 pm »

I might add that I had added a similar scenario to the conv. where I (& 'others') - may moons ago - managed to prang 'something' but thus due to the current... but this was due to my and their fault! :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: Many moons ago thank heavens! :}  Said official  'Org.' and me were equally pleased to part company in the end... they being fixed in opinion and Opers., and me seeing other ways of doing things...!!! :-)) LOL

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 04:17:14 pm »

...and no-body would bother to listen... that's what made things worse!

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 07:03:05 pm »

Not Mayhem Members I wish to add!

westcoaster

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 08:12:35 pm »

Eh??

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 01:05:36 pm »

Dear Westcoaster,

I think you missunderstood my meaning. Mayhem members are a sensible bunch and would listen! :-))

Regards, Bernard
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.