Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wanted, a skilled engineer to produce a very small jig.  (Read 3114 times)

Scottie

Wanted, a skilled engineer to produce a very small jig.
« on: March 14, 2010, 08:28:52 pm »

I am looking for someone who can manufacture a small jig to help me solder wires to 0603 type LEDs (smd).

These leds are 1.6mm long, 0.8mm wide and 1.1mm deep. (Technical drawing available)

The jig must be made of a heat resistant material and, if possible, hold 10 leds for soldering.

I only need a simple jig but, to be useful, it requires precise manufacturing which I cannot hope to produce. For each led, the jig will have two 0.5mm holes drilled at 1.25mm centres and at 0.425mm from one edge. I aim to feed kynar (wire-wrap) wire through these holes and then use the wires to hold the led while soldering.

I am willing to pay someone to make this for me.

If you think you can help, please reply here.

TIA,

Scottie

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Wanted, a skilled engineer to produce a very small jig.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 08:53:37 pm »

Hi Scottie,

I might be able to help you on this.

Questions,

how critical is the 0.425mm dimension from one edge? thats a pretty accurate dimension.

what thickness heat resistant material is needed, and, do you have any preference for the material?

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Scottie

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 09:08:55 pm »

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the rapid response.

The 0.425mm from the edge is fairly critical as the led must slide under the wires and then be held in place by them.
Look at the attached drawing and you might get an idea why. The led is 0.3mm thick at the contacts where the wire must lie. My wire is 0.25mm dia core (0.5mm with insulation) so I guess +/- 0.005 should be okay

The material thickness and type doesn't matter too much. I tried using 1.5mm copper clad board but I couldn't drill accurately enough.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

Scottie

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 09:52:54 pm »

Ah, surface mount led's I think?  Now I understand - my No. 1 son works in this field.

I was under the impression that these things need a heat sink, in fact, no 1 son and I are working on an idea for mountain bike lights, with a pcb holding 7 of these, using the aluminium casing as the heat sink.

I think I can do this, I can get the accuracy you require, the unknown at this point is drilling the jig material and whether I can get the drill speed required for the chosen material.

I will have to have a look at what the max speed of my mill is, and see if I can identify a suitable material compatible with the 0.5mm drill size.

Watch this space.

Ian

PS. whats this for? or is it a secret? %)

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 11:50:44 pm »

If they were the one or three watt LED, they would need a heat sink, but these tiny
ones should have any heat issue.

I was told by a friend that works with surface mount parts, that he uses some type
of combination paste that contains flux and solder. He brushes a little bit on to the
contact points and places each of his parts on his circuit board, then BAKES   :o the entire
thing till the solder melts, then allows it to cool.

Scottie

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 07:58:57 am »

As Umi says, these run at very low current so they don't have a problem with heat.

What they are for - multipurpose lights on small scale models, mostly boats.

I'm building a model of Sydney Express at 100th scale. Standard 3mm leds are far too big at this scale but these smds are just about perfect.

Of course, there's no point in mounting them on pcb so the only option is to solder wires to them. As I'm sure you can imagine, holding the led adjacent to a wire (even using solder paste) isn't exactly easy. My brother-in-law managed to do some for me using bits of blu-tack to hold everything together but each one took about ten minutes just to set up.

I'll do a drawing of what I have in mind and add it to this thread.

Ian, before you put a lot of time and effort into this, please PM with an approximate cost. Also, on the question of material, the led is rated at 260 degrees C for 5 seconds maximum. The material needs to be a better than this and I won't be bakiing it, just using a small iron.

Scottie

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 09:07:09 am »

Scottie,

Thanks for the extra info, I will draft out a rough diag of what I think you need today, see if I am on the right wavelegth or not.

I'll also have a re think about a suitable material, I was thinking plastic, but what I have wont stand the temp.

Ian
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.