Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Death of Common Sense  (Read 5346 times)

BrianCartwright

Re: The Death of Common Sense
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2010, 07:02:22 pm »

I wasn't going to get involved in this but I take exception to remarks by sheerline about apathy.Apathay or not political parties have very little powers today.They are goverened by Europe who in turn are governed by other things.The whole world is controlled by money,power, oil and gas to simplify things.How can I honestly give my vote when I have no confidence in any of them.At the moment the are all singing from a similar song sheet anyway.
I could go on as there are a million injustices but as often happens with me I'll get timed out before I finish.

Regards to all

Brian

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2010, 07:50:03 pm »

I thought they changed Common Sense's name to Mundane Reason, so you see John we didn't lose it they just gave it a new name and those that didn't pick up on the name change figured, oh well no more common sense, might as well just be, well enough has been said to that. So there you have it, and to make it worse they even have a whole social theoretcial model  based on it and now were all in real trouble, pesky little wabbit {-)

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2010, 08:17:08 pm »

Hi Brian, I suppose it's difficult to be concise on such issues but I seem to remember we joined an European Economic Union ,the purpose of which was to enable free movenment of goods around Europe. I and many others have been guilty of apathy in that we failed to fully understand the system, save for the fact movements around the west got easier. Over a period of time and apparently a few signed documents later, we somehow ended up with a European legislation which directly affects all of us but we somehow seemed to miss the point of changeover.
I find it intriguing that a considerable amount of airtime is given over to the public to inform (indoctrinate) people as to what is going on around the country. For example, there is the green issue which is continually being rammed home on a daily basis. We are told it affects us all but i failed to see a single mention, not even a pulic information film emploring us to look into the Lisbon treaty and whether it was good bad or indifferent for the nation. I for one was unaware it existed until it was too late even to register a protest somewhere somehow.
Common sense, which is what this thread is about should have dictated that the government ensured it's citizens were informed of the implications of our becoming subservient to a foreign body. It almost felt that it was being kept very quiet in fact, so much so that i have still heard nothing about it in the media yet this apparently has quite an impact on our society.
 So, apathy and ignorance is what we are guilty of since i believe had we had all the facts layed out before us, in the same way the green issue is being pushed, we may have acted upon it.

class27

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2010, 11:44:31 pm »

I think all of the above posts have merit . look at the recent M.P. expenses issue (nuff said)
I do wonder why the media seem to glorify being an Idiot. Look at all the programmes on TV showing people behaving badly, Why do they do this? Why not show more Items on people trying to make the world a better place. Last I do believe that people (individuals) should be held accountable for their actions you create an impossible catch 22 by removing peoples responsibility from them and still expecting them to be responsible
Be good

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2010, 10:54:30 am »

Responsibility, a close cousin of Common Sense.
The entire family seems to be ailing.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

BrianCartwright

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2010, 05:47:31 pm »

Basically I agree with you sheerline but you caught a raw nerve with me.I have worn out numereous soap boxes standing by my principles to the point where nobody listened and called me only a moaning old fart.Consequently I try only to look on the bright side as I can't do any thing about things.As i've said before if it isn't life threatening I just can't worry anymore.(At least the nhs prescriptions are free for me)

Brian  >:-o

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2010, 09:00:22 pm »

Brian, no offence taken old chap. I think you have the right idea and I'm slowly coming round to your way of thinking. My soapbox is getting pretty knackered too. ok2

Nordsee

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2010, 11:12:44 am »

Just a comment, this is common all over, here in Germany, nearly as bad as in UK. A couple of weeks ago I was in Folkestone at the Trucks and Tracks Show. In a effort to encourage youngsters to take up the Hobby, Airfix donated several hundred simple kits plus paints and brushes and glue for the children. I was in charge, and the response was very good, there were soon 8 or 10 boys and girls, some with their parents, building away. Mostly Spitfires or Panther Tanks, but the Landing Craft got several builders as well. About 11.30 a  man in a suit and tie, carrying a Brief case, walked up the steps , and without an introduction, demanded to know" Who is responsible for this Charade!" I replied that I was, and he once again demanded to know if I had Police Permission and was Autherised by the Council Childrens Protection Group to supervise young persons. I replied that being a Parent of 3 and a Grandparent of 7, gave me some insight to working with children, and also where was his Authority to challenge me. He opened his case and spluttered that his Official ID was in his Office, I then informed him I was Autherised by the German Kinder Schutzeverbund, and he was to leave the Show immediatly, which he did, protesting.He said he would return with an Official from the Council, but I knew that on a weekend there is never anyone there! He didn't return, but my complaint is, what was he trying to do? Ruin childrens enjoyment? Stop creative ideas? Just be a pain in the A............?  The aggresive attack, the children were startled, and a couple got up and left. What a shame.
  Was the idea a success? Well I had over a hundred, there over the two days, and Traders also said that childen had bought kits. Get them away from the PC maybe.Have to see next year if any enter the Junior Competition.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 23 queries.