Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wrong Place, Wrong Time  (Read 3373 times)

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
Wrong Place, Wrong Time
« on: March 17, 2010, 10:59:24 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awVm6Lt6ONQ

The almost total lack of activity on the decks of the tug seems odd. Would you want to stay in the wheelhouse/ER with doors shut while it heels to 40 deg.?

Barry M

Umi_Ryuzuki

Re: Wrong Place, Wrong Time
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 11:43:11 pm »

Great video...

It lends new meaning to the term "tugboat fender".

:}

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 07:50:26 am »

Some interesting comments too.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

TugCowboy

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 04:06:33 pm »

Brilliant vid, it was obviously evident for a while what was going to happen as the guys on the bulk carrier had time to film it!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tugs46

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 06:14:10 pm »

Interesting video indeed!

Firstly, this happened in a 'Gale', and obviously the tugs used (at least the ones we can see) were of inadequate power for the job.

One has to bear in mind that the tugs are under the complete direction of the ships 'Pilot', and only react to his or her's orders, unless in the case of a life threatening emergency, which in my opinion was the case here.

Notice that the closest tug didn't apply power until the last moments? That makes me wonder what the pilot was thinking...or the tug had some mechanical or communication problems.

Likely, the only thing that saved that tug was it's somewhat 'narrow' hull and narrow stern O0

Just what the master and crew are up to aboard her is anyone's guess, but likely attempting to save the tug.

Your thoughts guys.........

ellisgarth

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 07:28:57 pm »

ellisgarth

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 07:39:29 pm »

i hi i think this video was brilliant .loved to have been there to see the incident happen. a big thanks to the person who posted it.

farrow

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 10:11:14 pm »

Hi matey's,
I think the reason you did not see the crew was because as soon as the stern touched the jetty like all good seaman they legged it ashore, you could see them get back inboard as the bigun backed off to secure the stern of the tug.
The tug got into trouble because they where conventional screw tugs and when the tow is moving the tug can only maintain position in a limited way until the tow exceeds 2/3 knots then that is it the tug cannot keep position. But as someone said, it did appear the tug had M/E failure when she fell onto the other tug. But I was not there or have a copy of the incident report so I would hate to guess.
But incidents like this are not that uncommon with tugs, especially when you use older tech tugs. When I took out life insurance as a young fella, there was an automatic increase on my premium when they found out I would work on tugs. Seems the tug industry is listed as a hazardous occupation.
But for all that it was a very interesting video, shows what can happen when the pilot makes the wrong decision. By the way under British law the pilot is part of the ships company and is responsible to the master as any other ships officer and he is liable only if my memory serves me right for the first £1000. After that the ship is liable for any costs, caused by a collision.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 22 queries.