Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Radio receiver ins & outs  (Read 1886 times)

cosmic

Radio receiver ins & outs
« on: March 17, 2010, 11:15:32 pm »

Thanks primarily to the references provided by other members my propeller shaft questions are answered, and I've gained a modicum of new knowledge.

Now, please excuse my appalling ignorance; I'm sure that in this forum it will eventually disappear. :embarrassed: I need to know more about how to utilize the receiver output.

First, what are the electrical characteristics of the output (don't worry, I'm electronics savvy). 2nd, I understand, in a basic way, the mechanical output of servos, for functions like rudder control, but how about turning on/off lights or feeding a small motor to rotate a radar antenna? Do I use a relay, or...? 

Thanks again in advance,

seahawk 1

Re: Radio receiver ins & outs
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 03:37:47 am »

I hope others chime in with input as I  may not explain this correctly, or completely.  Receiver outputs are designed to accept those things deisgned to plug into a receiver, ie; servos, electronic switch modules, that will it turn operate those items you have mentioned.  You cannot, and I would recommend should not try to run lights, radars, etc,  directly from the outputs. Not enough power and the outputs are simply not designed for this type of application. 
On my tug, my radars are controlled by slide switches, not connected in any manner to the control system.  My lights are set up the same way, except I use a Robbe switch module to turn the spotlights off and on from the transmitter.  My horn is controlled by a mini servo that activates a momentary switch. 
Please tell us what radio you are using and what functions you want to have.  There are several makers of switch modules available, but I use Robbe as they are readily available through Harbor Models.  I,m using a Robbe/Futaba F-14 radio with a 12+2 switch module which gives me more than enougn options for my current boat.
2x speed controls for independant motor control
1x speed control for bow thruster
rudder control
air horn
spotlights x2

cosmic

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 04:23:00 am »

I haven't yet bought my radio. The 2.4ghz Turborix has been recommended to me. It's 6 channel. I intend to operate lights, a horn, a smoke generator, rotate a radar antenna, control prop for speed & direction, and of course proportional rudder control. You may know that the Turborix is a cheap Chinese radio that by most accounts I've heard works well. Until I "get my feet wet" in this I don't want to make a huge investment (but at the same time I want to do reasonable justice to the project).

BTW, I'm in Tigard, 275 miles north of you.

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 07:00:08 am »

Rich
The output from most receivers is a 5v feed, a ground and a pulsed 5v signal (2.4v on some systems) which varies in width from 1.0 - 2.0ms and sits in a 'frame' with the other channels @ 20ms intervals (14ms on some systems). Whatever you connect up requires a decoder of some description to convert the signal into a usable output for onward switching devices e.g. relays, FETs etc.

Have a look at the wiring diagrams here http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/wd.php and check out the two articles on RC Switches here http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/art.php. These will give you plenty of ideas on how to fit out and operate your model. We have several customers who use our gizmos successfully with Turborix radios.

FLJ

cosmic

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 08:31:33 am »

FLJ, wonderful info sir! Thank you so much! I've bookmarked your site; I'll be back.

cosmic

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 08:43:33 am »

Just an afterthought. In my antidiluvian days there was no commercially available R/C (at least for modelers). We used to roll our own using hearing aid pentode vacuum tubes for oscillators. We had access to citizen bands at 27 and, if memory serves, 645mhz. Our servos were rubberband powered escapements (run out of rubber, bye bye model). There were no flip-flops, shift registers, or other such digital apparatus. We ran amplitude modulation only, and our total control was to pulse the carrier.

I can't get over this modern gear. Marvellous!  %%
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 20 queries.