Mess Deck: General Section > Other Hobbies and Interests

caving ?

<< < (3/3)

Roger in France:
Oh, Colin, "...hygroscopic..." ! They are just wet.

Roger in france.

d-jnana:

--- Quote from: OneBladeMissing on December 27, 2006, 11:48:09 am ---Why is it that some cavers/potholers feel the urge to go underground when there have been periods of heavy rain? Then some poor sods have to go down and hook them out.

--- End quote ---
I know what you mean. I always check the prevailing weather, and the forcast. There is a cave on The Gower which floods if it rains on e Brecon beacons. Tooth cave its called, and it floods within 20 mins of rain falling on the Beacons.  If it does its game over. There are always risks, and I for one hope to avoid all accidents, but they do happen, despite all the precautions you take. If ever that evetuallity occurs I will be eternally greatfull to the volenteers who make up cave rescue.

Andy M:
I always thought it was called Cave in!

colin-stevens:
used to go caving when i was alot younger, never got much of a buzz from it though. took up climbing. any way, story time.
group of us were in a cave, south wales is about as close as i can remember. we had a newbie. came to a sump. newbie was told to take the deepest breath he could. duck down, then walk. as he walked to bump his head on ceiling. when he didnt feel bump, come up for air. me and my mate had gone in first, as safety for him. its a quick duck and up again. no more than 2ft long. as we saw him coming, we were hitting his helmet with a rock. let him go for about 10 ish feet before we let him up. he was not a happy bunny. he is still pot holing, i'm not. carry out the simiarly cruel intoductions to me chosen sports still. \one day might grow up. NAW.
colin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version