Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Tito Neri  (Read 14686 times)

catengineman

Tito Neri
« on: December 25, 2006, 02:06:59 pm »

Hi Well I have just started to build The Tito Neri tug
Second I will (honestly) try to post some photos of the said build as it progresses if I ever get to work out how to do it! post pictures that is..... ;D

I'm still not sure how much I will fit into the hull but I have some thoughts on where to mount various controllers etc to enable loads of scope in what can be fitted so I'll try to keep some info going (work permitting)

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Tito Neri
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2006, 05:11:20 pm »

Yes, i want to know the best way to post pics, I've been using imageshack, but to many ads on it now. Do you HAVE to use a hosting service or is it possible to post onto the site?
Andy
Navigational Aids vessel Master. Old Conway 70-72

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006, 05:35:59 pm »

Read "Resize Picture " on menu on Mayhem home page.

Happy new year.

Richard ;)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Roger in France

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 06:35:31 am »

Catengineman lots of pics. please. Tito Neri is on my "Next But One" build list.

At the risk of offending Martin and other Mayhemers, I refer you to another Forum (in USA) where a professional, helpfull, skillfull builder is giving a commentary on his Tito Neri build www.rcgroups.com. Scroll down to "Boats" then find "Scale Boats" and look for "Tito Neri comes to life". The author is Umi R.....something, he is very helpful and tolerant of basic questions.

www.themodeldock.co.uk offer a CD with a lot of pics of a Tito Neri build for £10. To be honest I do not think it is good value. True there are 60 or more still pics of various stages of build which are clear and good quality but they are not organised in any sequence and there is absolutely no commentary or notes. You would do better asking Umi for pics and tips.

Keep us abreast of the build, please.

Roger in France.

catengineman

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 11:38:53 pm »

With the intake of a few scotch's this may go wrong but here go's anyway.
I purchased the Tito Neri basic kit from Westbourne Models and took it to the ship I work on (seemed a good place to go as I had to start my 14 day purgatory)  :'( :'(
The first picture is the kit in its raw state then as they progress there are several stages.
I will say that with only a little bit of alteration the frame work was able to be assembled without glues.
The last picture is once the frame work has been fixed which strengthened up the hull ready for transport back to Lowestoft.

Roger in France

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 07:44:16 am »

Looks good. From my reading of other build logs most builders seem to find the frames are a good fit and slot together well.

What is the Instruction Manual like?

I presume the two holes in the deck timbers are for the towing post. Do you intend to strengthen this area? Does the towing post get supported inside the hull? In one build I saw that a metal/epoxy armature was inserted in the towing post, rather than the wood which I believe is supplied. Strengthening the towing post and any attachment points seems imperative to me when you realise what towing force this tug is able to exert. I would be inclined to extend to the bottom of the hull and fix there very securely.

Roger in France.

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 05:27:48 pm »

Catengineman
At the risk of offending Martin and other Mayhemers, I refer you to another Forum (in USA) where a professional, helpfull, skillfull builder is giving a commentary on his Tito Neri build www.rcgroups.com. Scroll down to "Boats" then find "Scale Boats" and look for "Tito Neri comes to life". The author is Umi R.....something, he is very helpful and tolerant of basic questions.

Martin has already found RCgroups, ive seen him posting there, and the umi you speak of, is Umi Ryuzuki and SHE is a most skilled modeller :) and full of knowledge and advice
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

catengineman

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 05:03:55 pm »

What is the Instruction Manual like?

I presume the two holes in the deck timbers are for the towing post. Do you intend to strengthen this area? Does the towing post get supported inside the hull? In one build I saw that a metal/epoxy armature was inserted in the towing post, rather than the wood which I believe is supplied. Strengthening the towing post and any attachment points seems imperative to me when you realise what towing force this tug is able to exert. I would be inclined to extend to the bottom of the hull and fix there very securely.

Roger in France.

I'm not over impressed by the instructions it's just picture plans though they are to scale.
The gog eye or towing post is made of plastic but I will be forming mine from steel, and yes it protrudes through the two holes in the deck and fixes to the hull.
I will be making mine from steel as I know it will be towing some large items when it's completed ;D
I am hoping to construct a working tow winch for this build but at the moment I have to recover from Christmas ;D

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 06:56:40 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 07:59:19 pm »

Martin has already found RCgroups, ive seen him posting there, and the umi you speak of, is Umi Ryuzuki and SHE is a most skilled modeller :) and full of knowledge and advice

speak of the devil! hi Martin!!
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

poll

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 09:10:55 pm »

Hi Catengineman & Roger in France.
          The two holes are not for a towing post
          The towing is done from the double winch
           drums or the tow hook situated behind the two holes.

Regards

john.

Roger in France

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 06:43:58 am »

Yes, after I posed my question and sent the post I knew somebody would pick me up on that!

Of course the tow is attached to the hook but these two holes take a guide arch which must feel a great deal of strain (particularly when the tow is not exactly aft). In the kit I know there are two U shape mouldings in plastic and the Instructions require two lengths of wood to be inserted in the legs of the inverted U before the plastic shells are joined. This leaves the bottom of the U (its top when inverted and in place) hollow. This seems to me and others a tad unreliable.

However, it leaves the question....How much strength can you apply to attachment points and tow rope guides? I guess it all depends on your boat's layout. However, if you are anything like me you always do a belt and braces job (never use a 2" nail where a 6" nail will do!!!! I was taught some of my "skills" by a blacksmith from the Plymouth Dockyard). I have this awful image in my mind of someone having a tow attached, applying "All ahead" and then watching the superstructure slide off the stern!

Roger in France.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 11:45:07 am »

Well done Roger, got the bottle working then!!

Richard ;)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Roger in France

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007, 03:39:49 pm »

Hi Richard, yes the bottle is working thanks to Ken C. and Martin (I gave them the thanks they so richly deserve under "General Chit Chat" - Animated images.)

I was amazed to find that the animated avatar is retrospective and now runs on my old messages.

What can that boy Martin not do? (Did somebody cruelly say, "Finish a Puffer?". Shame on who ever it was!.

Roger in France.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2007, 08:32:51 pm »

Yes . The Animation is backdated. 

I found this out when I looked back at one of my letters which said it wasn't working , and there it was,  working in all it's glory    ;D   

It's almost as satisfying as finding, when you come back to the boat the next day, that the glue has finally set, .

Cheers...Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

catengineman

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2007, 10:19:34 pm »

Hi guy's
Well yet another HARD two week work have been completed and the Tito Neri has spent some more time in the "dry dock" aboard the ship, :) :)
With the latest bad weather I have managed to get a few bits done on this build.
I managed to fit my choice of motors 'Graupner BB700's and with the help from Westbourne Models found that the drive coupling needed to be double length to accommodate the original motor mounting points.
I have fitted the hardly splicer's at 90 deg to each other.
The fore deck is fixed down and a coat of filler used to finally seal the edges and any blemish's in the bullworks.

I gave the hull a 'mist coat' of paint to show up any filling Mark before final sanding and spraying a primer coat.

As you may see the accommodation has had some more work and I have constructed bridge desk etc for aesthetics.

I built a compartment inside the stern WTD and fitted a switch ready to control the recever power supply I managed to make a pair of hinge's and a dog for the door out of brass rod
Ill stop with this post now or Ill be in trouble .

Capt Jack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2007, 06:51:12 pm »

I'd say it looks good but hell i've seen it for the last 2 weeks so what do i know !! ;D

catengineman

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2007, 07:13:40 pm »

Must learn to clean up on the desk oops (work bench) before taking any more pictures ;D ;D

banjo

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2007, 11:25:22 pm »

Hi,
Have you thought yet how you are going to operate all the various servos?...  I have just paid for but not yet received this kit from Westbournes.   I didn't buy all the radio control gear yet.   I went for the same motors as you but at some time later in the year I'm going to have to start thinking about a new set of RC.
I'm watching with fascination!!

regards

alan

catengineman

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2007, 09:28:56 pm »

Hi,
Have you thought yet how you are going to operate all the various servos?...  I have just paid for but not yet received this kit from Westbournes.   I didn't buy all the radio control gear yet.   I went for the same motors as you but at some time later in the year I'm going to have to start thinking about a new set of RC.
I'm watching with fascination!!

regards

alan

Hi Alan,
Yes the radio gear I intend to use will be NAVY F14  with extra switch gear installed to give me at least *8* channels, though I'm getting very impatient and really want to get it into the water :(
Still all good things come to those that wait :) :)
 I haven't altered the steering servo's(yet) as I want to see what it performs like, BUT then to make it true to life I should have 360 deg control and then would only require "forward only ESC's" which if I leave it as is then to get stern thrust I must install ESC's that handle both directions.
That said it looks like I will end up getting several ESC's all of which are NOT CHEAP :( :(    Though I may have a couple of very old mechanical ESC's that could be fitted to try the operations of the ASD's
As for actually having the radio gear in my hands NO NOT YET (lots of kisses going to the wife and cooking and cleaning O and building a new closet in the bedroom in hope SHE will get the set I want ??? ??? :)
The kit you have ordered from Westbournes--- have you ordered the # fittings kit # as well?
I could not get it at the time of my purchase as 1 not enough dosh, 2 they didn't have any in stock at the time.
You said motors, will you be fitting the ASD's (schottles) or converting to fixed shafts and rudders?

Richard.

banjo

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2007, 06:43:22 am »

I,m like the guy from Gilbert & Sullivan..I had a little list!    however!!!!
I ended up going the whole nine yards..fittings, schottle drives, the lot except radio &  and ESC.
Those I'll try to sneak past SWMBO later in the year...
Haven't got it yet...hopeful for tomorrow Friday

regards

alan

banjo

Re: Tito Neri/ Computer Control via WiFi
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2007, 06:51:22 am »

In another thread I wondered about the control of model boats with a laptop and wifi.   My son, carputer buff, is working on a system to do this.
If it comes to anything then I'll fit it into Tito meanwhile we got control of servos etc from the laptop but slow going on using a playstation control (loadsa buttons) for the various inputs.   The boat end is not problem, he says!!

more later

catengineman

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2007, 10:52:15 pm »

Hi Alan,
 So what comes in the fittings kit then?
This is where you tell me that there are better faileads and the winch/s, windlass and mooring bits are all in the kit just waiting to be glued in place ;D

Wifi to control tug?  mmmmmmm now there's a thought.     Software to sort out....  no I think for now the standard route will have to do. :) :)

Richard.

banjo

Re: Tito Neri/Fittings Kit
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2007, 05:34:45 am »

:)

"Anchor winch,towing winch,Hydraulic crane,boat crane,fire monitors,railing stanchions,liferafts,signal lamps,companionways,radar,bollards,lifebelts,anchors,portholes,and other small fittings" it says on the box.
The kit is sitting in its box in the middle of the room, it has taken over..   I couldn't get the box in my FTO boot, had to go behind the seats, that does not look good for trips to the pond :(  I liked the warning not to throw ones self into the water to retrieve it should there be a failure!!
I got visions of going 'bottom' over tit gettin it into the wet stuff.
I have a warm glow just now....
more later

alan

catengineman

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2007, 10:54:56 pm »

Just thought that I would post these two pictures of the Tito build.
With the ingress of family members to my home and the memsaab wanting stuff done I have only managed to fit a few hours in on the build while at home, (still back to work on Wednesday ;D and the dry dock contines. ;) ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.