Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Tito Neri  (Read 14682 times)

banjo

Re: Tito Neri /schottle drives
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2007, 09:07:37 pm »

when I fitted deck brace 22 I found that the hull "thickness" stopped the mounting flange from going right through.  did you have work around for this??

alan

banjo

Re: Tito Neri gets a foredeck
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2007, 11:43:33 am »

I hope it sticks!!

Doc

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Tito Neri
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2007, 12:32:46 pm »

banjo,
Hate to tell you this, but there's enough 'gas' in those weights to blow the deck off of that hull!  Then again, if you could vent it in the right direction (variable), you could pull water skiers with it.
 - 'Doc

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2007, 04:42:31 pm »

The Campbells are coming  ..   :D

Seriously though ....good work

Cheers...Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

catengineman

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2007, 09:15:25 pm »

when I fitted deck brace 22 I found that the hull "thickness" stopped the mounting flange from going right through.  did you have work around for this??

alan

Hi alan,
 Firstly sorry for the delay (WORK got in the way of my true love Oh and mayheming) back onto frame part 22 "yes" I did find that the ASD units would not pass through and so I took the trusty dremmel to them and opened the holes up until the flanges went through without catching.
To tell you the truth I only found this out when I tried to turn one of the ASD units via its servo ARRRGH one servo with stripped gear drive !!!
I also have raised the hight of the ASD flanges with the aid of a thin rubber gasket as I found that the servo base fouled onto the inside of the hull which did cause some stress to be placed on the drive cog against that on the vertical shaft cog.
I'll post some more pictures later once the misses has forgiven me for spending LARGE amounts of money ;D ;D

Capt Jack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2007, 06:31:21 am »

[/quote]

I'll post some more pictures later once the misses has forgiven me for spending LARGE amounts of money ;D ;D

[/quote]

Yeah really,like thats going to happen !!   :o

banjo

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2007, 01:06:46 pm »

I've now got the decks all fitted.
I was really pppped off about the way those schottel drives had to be opened up.  Large screwdriver, pincers etc. the whole thing looks as if it was butchered, that was why I waited till the paint job was finished so that I didn't have to go at them again.  I suppose if required that bronze (?) bush could be replaced by a spare from Graupner.
I had some "gloop" left over from fitting the lead shot in the keel so I used that to help strengthen the area around the drives without thickening the vital access holes.   The action bits now move freely after the dremel modification.
I am going to wire up the drives and servos in tandem so I can "sea trial" it using my old two channel radio gear.
My son has been working on the "master system" I detailed in another thread using his carputer.   We can control the system from a laptop (on the bench) joystick, using a playstation hand thingy.  This connects to the carputer in the boat.
The laptop gives a schematic showing a realtime feedback of the nozzle positions and % power to each drive.  A camera in the wheel house also feeds back a view from the boat.
Various other buttons can be used for the bowthruster, fire pumps etc.
The thing that took the time was the programming involved in getting the joystick interface but this seems to work now.
(I am hoping to also be able to fit a belt and braces conventional control system to overcome the vagaries of Mr Gates products but thats something for me to to battle over with my boy)  watch this space.

alan

catengineman

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2007, 09:12:40 pm »

[/quote]

Yeah really,like thats going to happen !!   :o
[/quote]

Right OK first off I (YES ME) have regained some of my own life back ;D
I have payed penance and sat making new curtains for our newly decorated bedroom and have stayed away from the "Toy Tug Thingy" which is costing tooooooooooo much B####y money (her words)

Hey I managed to get out into the workshop / garage and I now have a working forward winch
This is all fine but now I have to get another set of items so I can control it from the transmitter :'(
So onto some pictures
Quite how I will gain full control over Mesabi and the tug is yet to be sorted ;D ??? ;D

The chap in the last photo IS captain Jack (just admiring his work on the painting) :D ;D :-[

catengineman

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2007, 06:14:47 pm »

I am goint to try and get this right?

I'm doing some thing wrong I just know I am!

I want to get the picture with the description under it but ?

Hey with a brain like mine it's not surprising I can't do the simple things.

Richard,

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2007, 06:32:19 pm »

Hi Richard,

The easiest way is to use photobucket ....

or just attach one picture per post... :-\

I want to get the picture with the description under it but ?

Richard,
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

catengineman

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2007, 06:43:26 pm »

Thanks I seem to be OK for posting but thought that I could have put a small description between each photo, may be it's just me being lazy and not wanting to post post post, you know do it all in one go then sit back and admire all the mistakes ;D

PS: I thought I had gone loopy loop until I actually read that you had moved the site about still great job and a fantastic site with a very good member gathering (if you know what I think I mean)

Richard,

banjo

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2007, 10:24:17 pm »

Great winch..

Source??

catengineman

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2007, 04:34:17 pm »

Hi back again,
This time the photos are of the (slightly messy) wiring for the power supply board to receiver, radar, light systems and two temporary switches controlled by old servo units.
The bow winch and anchor winch fitting, the bow winch motor and gearbox have been mounted into the anchor cable locker (OK a plastic box supported on wooden beams) Hey its my build so's I get to call it  ;D
The anchor winch is only a modified servo and I made a slipping clutch to avoid snapping the chain (Failed on that one) :'( but it works very well and with a stronger chain it should be OK.
I have a pair of contacts that supply 12 volts from one of the main batteries to the PDB which gives out one 12 volt feed one 5.4 volt feed and one variable feed (this is to the radar drive to get a realistic speed)

You may see that in the bow of the tug there are some servo extention lead ends these are for the ESC's when I get them and bu having the receiver in the accommodation then I can rest assured that water should not get any where near it (lots of hope on my part there) :D

I tested the bow winch out by running the rope through the forward tow eye and made it fast to a hook in the roof of my garage, when I operated the winch the bow was lifted clean out of the stand before the winch stalled just before the full weight of the tug was taken on the rope.
Now I know the tug will not have enough 'grunt' to out pull it's winch but then again the tug cant over run the winch either.

Richard,

catengineman

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2007, 10:33:01 pm »

Had a day in the shed (garage) with the expensive toy as my wife would have it called, and with a new anchor chain fitted, a full 2 meters in length I sat walking it out then heaving it in until the anchor stowed in the box, and success the chain is good B&Q do sell some decent stuff after all! :P ;D

I had to settle for brass chain but hey ho I'm not a purist, just a happy chappy,

Richard,

catengineman

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2007, 10:22:35 pm »

Spent the day in the workshop / model construction room / garage,
After some work carried out at 'work' I set to making a carrier for the tug (a trip to the boatting lake and carrying it made up my mind)
So armed with an old cheapy sack barrow and some stout wood I fashioned a wheeled carrier that holds the stand Tito is sat on.
A dob of paint and presto no more back ache for me!
thats the launching device and now the carrying device all finished and with the 'new' power supply (don't tell spanner) I hope to be off to the lake again tomorrow

Richard,

jenno

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2007, 10:39:12 pm »

Nice yellow is this the colour you used on the sack barrow ?

Jenno.

Capt Jack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2007, 08:56:30 am »

Oi CAPTAIN, sort the yellow box out !!!!!!

catengineman

« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2007, 04:41:58 pm »

Hi, big sorry chaps not sure where I went wrong.
So here are some pict's of the said carrier 8)

catengineman

« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2007, 05:56:30 pm »

Wow!,

Got to the pond again today and the weather is great---- not too much wind some brill sun and only one or two resident ducks in the way.

A few pictures of the tug underway and even though  I had to let spanner take control things went very well over two and a half hours before any battery drop ;D
It was not until I looked at the pictures that I saw the anchor out of the box, but I had anchored in the middle of the pond earlier so I must see the optician and have my eyes checked again. ;D ;D

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
  • The building never ends
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2007, 08:44:07 pm »

Nice build you have there, wheres that lake it looks really nice to sail on ???.

Jay
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

catengineman

« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2007, 09:35:32 pm »

Home town 50 meters away is the sea! and a great beach
 though with the waves out there as high as they were I would not want to chance the tug in surviving very long :'(

I checked on the net and asked around, about my local club and water and the little lake I have the tug in is where the local club is supposed to use but I've not had any replies or seen any other boats     ( very peacefull and quite lonely apart from the squirrels, "flying vermin & seagulls" duck and the occasional finch)

The nearest club other than the 'local' is in Norwich (NMBC) around 46 miles away :'(
I'll take the tug to work and sail her (pc = IT) at the Warsash training lake when I can work permitting that is.

Richard,

banjo

« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2007, 08:44:21 am »

At Last....

on the water....

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2007, 03:23:01 am »

Reverse Docking at the Bellevue Regatta - Bellevue, Washington - USA
 8)

(I mounted the servo horns on the underside of the steering gear for clearance on the HS-645MG servos... Make sure the gear is clear of the servo...)

banjo

Re: Tito Neri Schottle drives
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2007, 04:10:00 am »

Umi,
Thanks for that info.  A closer inspection revealed the cause of the "popping" of the servo screw to be lack of clearance as you suggested.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2007, 05:21:23 am »

Is that a PC motherboard inside your Tito?!?!? :o
What job does it do and what are you downloading via the USB memory stick?? ???

Martin.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.