Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: spare parts on schottels  (Read 1865 times)

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
spare parts on schottels
« on: March 20, 2010, 10:20:15 pm »

Well i finally started building my S.D.M. using the schottel drives that have sat in the box for too long .
And after mounting the units it came time to re-assemble the drives , the last thing to fit on them is the circlip on the shaft top , first one went on ok but the second one went somewhere else . It was just about in place , one little flick with the flat screwdriver and all would be sorted, but no the little bleeder went awol. So where do i get spares from , i don't realy want to try Graupner as they may be expensive , any ideas ?? .
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: spare parts on schottels
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 11:27:23 pm »

Daz....any ball bearing distributor will be able to source or supply a replacement circlip - you may need to remove the first installed circlip to measure it accurately

In OZ we use "ANDERTON" brand [UK manufactured] circlips .....try a magnet on the circlip...I suspect it will be non-magnetic & if so is an austinetic 300 series stainless steel = non rusting

ANDERTON use a "KSF" suffix to note non magnetic ....you may well find that an original from Graupner as a replacement will be cost competitive....... O0 - Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Andy K

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 12:02:21 am »

Hi Daz you could get one from my garage, I have a jar full ofall different sizes.
Give me a ring and I will call round, jar in hand.

Andy K

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 04:54:52 am »

cheers Andy , i may take you up on that offer . I have to get the brush out this week and give the floor the once over and i may find it .
the problem is i can't see the floor for rubish , i did think about replacing the clip and drilling out for a split pin (i got a box full of them)  but the shaft is probably hardened steel.
daz

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 08:06:42 pm »

Well i finally got round to cleaning the workshop floor and almost gave up finding the clip , when i spotted it poking out from between the floor boards .
Cant understand how it got there as the area was covered with a piece of carpet. So i have now fitted it where it belongs , sorted  :-)).
The build continues  i now have to save up for the servos ££-.
daz

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 08:47:15 am »

I got some hi torque servos from Howes at a reasonable price..

Any pictures of the the build?

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 11:59:34 am »

not as yet , but the hull will be much like the SDM tug i built using two fixed props
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=18556.msg187331#msg187331
which i still have to work on .
All i have done on the new build is the base for the deck , a box for the hull and a alloy/plastic (information sign) base . The hull sides will be pollystyreen which will be easier and make it totally unsinkable , if it's like the other one it will be i have stood on that one and she still wont stay down {-) .
daz
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.