Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Galway Hooker Line drawing  (Read 13285 times)

dms toucan

Re: Galway Hooker Line drawing
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2010, 11:52:15 pm »

Hi
Just bought the book Traditional Boats of Ireland From Amazon It has scale drawings in the book various Irish sailing craft
and from Ireland on film  dvd called island man its about the history of the hooker, its about the oldest Hooker still being sailed today
Martin.

KEMO

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2010, 11:19:08 am »

Hiya Jimmy,
                 I think it maybe the same book, the Chatham book is for sale at Abebooks.co.uk but is very expensive as I believe it is out of print, there are two for sale one at £59.00 and one at £60.00.

If you go here

http://www.thamesbarge.org.uk/barges/models/chathamplans.html

it lists all the vessels in the book.

Keith.

dms toucan

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2010, 06:12:14 pm »

Hi
If you go to www.irelandonfilm.com you will find a Book plus DVD plus 3 sets 1/2inch to the foot  of scale drawings for about £26 plus postage
Its called Na Saora Ba'd shipwrights  The Galway Hooker,
Martin

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2010, 11:01:58 pm »

Martin, thanks for that. 26.50 Eur isn't to bad so I've ordered one :-))
Jimmy

Keith, you've been a great help, that plan is what I've been looking for years... So you are starting a pilot cutter are you, I've got a very Ancient Naval Cutter(hasn't been in the water for years) that I used to sail a long time ago. A Mate of mine has the Bristol Channel Pilot cutter "Caraid" she sails quite well but only has internal ballast so is a bit tender and can only be sailed up to a Force 4   She s fast over ground  but a bit slow in stays( Mind you I know a lot of full size cutters that have to be worked or sailed through the wind on a tack thats why on a cutter I allways use 3 or 4 channels  1) Rudder 2) Main Sail 3) Head sails 4) square sails (if rigged) so you can back the jib to help push the bow through the wind. O0 :-))
Jimmy
De Freebooter
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2010, 11:17:17 pm »

Owen, Thanks for that . It's on order
Jimmy

I'm Hoping to start this build in late Aug (The God's willing and if my hands hold out) I'll Try to get some photos of the build but don't expect anything spectacular as I'm no great shakes with the Magic picture box
So watch this space  O0 :-))
Jimmy
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.