Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Photos on the Forum & Resizing  (Read 285091 times)

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
Re: Photos on the Forum & Resizing
« Reply #175 on: November 20, 2012, 05:07:15 pm »

Mike, that picture you recently posted( reply172), is massive! looks great, what size (kb)? what did you use and how did you do it?  Lots of questions, sorry, but am impressed.
                        Regards, Tony. :-))

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #176 on: November 20, 2012, 05:24:54 pm »

Tony,

That's just an example of using the system that Martin advocated, i.e.   http://tinypic.com/ .......  Mind you before I upload any photo, using whatever system, I optimise the photograph for the web first using Adobe Photoshop which gives a decent amount of compression without losing definition in the photo. This one is about 270 kb but no doubt I could have got it a lot less, if i had been using as little kbs as possible for Martin's bandwidth, which I don't need to using Tinypic... ..........  :-)

“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #177 on: November 20, 2012, 05:33:13 pm »

What about the spider?!  :((
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #178 on: November 20, 2012, 08:13:34 pm »

What about the spider?!  :((

That little madam and the rest of her family that live in my house and garden, are of the family Steatoda Nobilis.... and I'm one of the rare people in this country to have had a nasty bite inflicted on me by one, which made me very ill indeed....

Little is known about their bite and supposedly the damage it does is believed to be of less severity than the true Black Widows... Don't believe that for one minute and if you have them on your property, avoid them !!!  .

I sent that photo which I took and this below, of one in my bedroom , to the Natural History Museum who confirmed it's identity. It's not to be confused with one commonly to be seen around the house, which belongs to a part of the same family, which is perfectly harmless. Mind you, I'd not trust another spider of any description, but the skull on the carapace of this one is very apt !

Oh and that one is using Photobucket and just 161 kb .....  :-)
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #179 on: November 20, 2012, 08:45:56 pm »

Ok let's try Adross's method - we should get The Mauritania.

Dave

edit ........... and we do but clicking on it brings spam or adverts too. Is that unavoidable?

Dave

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #180 on: November 20, 2012, 09:46:04 pm »

edit ........... and we do but clicking on it brings spam or adverts too. Is that unavoidable?

Dave

I suppose Dave that it comes down to the old adage that there's no such thing as a free lunch. It's just with some image hosts, the cost of that lunch is higher than others..... I like Flickr and Photobucket as there is still a price but it's one I'm prepared to pay in terms of accepting adverts... ( especially as I always use an add blocker  {-) )

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #181 on: November 20, 2012, 11:18:05 pm »

I suppose Dave that it comes down to the old adage that there's no such thing as a free lunch. It's just with some image hosts, the cost of that lunch is higher than others..... I like Flickr and Photobucket as there is still a price but it's one I'm prepared to pay in terms of accepting adverts... ( especially as I always use an add blocker  {-) )

Which is???

Gunna build those other boats one day.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #182 on: November 20, 2012, 11:19:40 pm »

adblock plus works well for me.
Grendel

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #183 on: November 20, 2012, 11:56:50 pm »

Thank you will look it up  :-)) :-))

Raen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #184 on: November 21, 2012, 12:04:45 am »

Adblock plus is an extension that can be added to Google chrome or Mozilla Firefox through the chrome store or firefox add on site.
I highly recommend the use of this as it not only stops adds but can help stop the accidental clicking on ads that lead more nefarious sites and viruses.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #185 on: November 21, 2012, 12:32:18 am »

Am using Internet Explorer  8

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #186 on: November 21, 2012, 01:31:16 am »

Thanks Mike, so using tinypic means size re kb doesn't matter to the forum?  in a nutshell without using any other software what is the best means of getting a visually 'largish' picture without poor quality re resolution?
          Sorry for the continued questioning but am determined to crack this  O0 {-) {-)
                                     Regards, Tony.

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #187 on: November 21, 2012, 03:53:42 pm »

Thanks Mike, so using tinypic means size re kb doesn't matter to the forum?  in a nutshell without using any other software what is the best means of getting a visually 'largish' picture without poor quality re resolution?

When you use a hosting company for your photos, like Tinypic, Photoshop, or Flickr , the photo is physically stored on their servers and therefore Martin is not hosting the image on his and it's not costing him anything. there is just a typed link that brings up the photo so that it appears it's on his site. A web page can in fact consist of many elements brought together from different servers. 

The only way that Martin has to pay is when anyone uses the "Attachment" option which then does store it on his server where he is charged per Mb of storage that he uses....

The size of the image, if you are not using your own image software, can in fact be determined on Tinypic, Photobucket, etc. On Tinypic it's as you upload the photo so you can have it like this:-

or like this:-

or even like this:-

It's better when using a hosting company such as these to create your photo on your camera at the largest size you are likely to use and then reduce it as you need it via their software.....

Anything else, just shout... It's easy when you know how, it just takes a bit of time to learn, like all things.. :-)

ardarossan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #188 on: November 21, 2012, 04:16:23 pm »

Mike,

Are you aware of a way to prevent (or reduce the chances of), an independantly hosted image disappearing from a Forum, should that external source alter it's codes, or if the account holder alters or rearranges their album?

Andy
How much wood would a Woodchuck chuck, if a Woodchuck would chuck wood?

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #189 on: November 21, 2012, 05:54:58 pm »

Mike,
Are you aware of a way to prevent (or reduce the chances of), an independantly hosted image disappearing from a Forum, should that external source alter it's codes, or if the account holder alters or rearranges their album?
Andy

Andy, given that computing is a really new introduction to man's scientific endeavours, in comparison to steam that's been around since 1712 odd, I'd say that the chances of any of these systems being around in ten years would be asking a lot !  :}

But put it this way, Photobucket and it's like are large commercially viable systems at the moment and that goes a long way to ensuring their existence for a while yet. So I'd give them a good chance of surviving a while and the photos being available for a good while too. ....

But given that, also any member of those sites is able to mess up their listings five minutes after they have posted them, .. so the photos are as secure as the people listing them so, no, not particularly secure.

Having said that our host Martin, may Odin bless him  {-) , may decide tomorrow that he's had enough of all the agro this forum brings him and decide to chuck it all in, whereby the whole lot's gone anyway or he may decide that whoever is hosting the site isn't really up to the job and changes server, whereby the same result applies if he is unable to move the content. ...

It's a bit of pot luck really, but the other question you should be asking is how much control do you want over anything you post on the internet ? Post it on Martin's site or any other as a direct attachment and you lose control, put it on Photobucket and you can at least delete any content you wish, when you like....

Swings and roundabouts really.... of course you could own your own domain and webspace, which I do, and post images from there which gives you even more control and many in these days of Internet lawlessness think that that is the more secure way ... As I say though in ten years all this will be no doubt all academic............

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #190 on: January 21, 2013, 07:46:22 pm »

Anyone know how to upload a photo from a mobile phone (Android) straight on to the Forum?   {:-{

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #191 on: January 21, 2013, 09:14:29 pm »

Or iPhone or android tablet.
Dave

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #192 on: January 22, 2013, 10:31:31 am »

Does anyone know if the upload facility for photos on this site is working yet. I have some photos to share. I'm not interested in a third party host such as photobucket, so if the upload facility is not working I won't bother to upload now or in the future.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #193 on: January 22, 2013, 11:10:55 am »

If it helps, with my posts I click on " Attachments and other options" below the post to upload photos from my PC.
 :-)) :-)) :-))

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #194 on: January 22, 2013, 01:50:45 pm »

Does anyone know if the upload facility for photos on this site is working yet. I have some photos to share. I'm not interested in a third party host such as photobucket, so if the upload facility is not working I won't bother to upload now or in the future.

It's always been working?!

There numerous tutorials showing exactly what to do.
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=23.msg403457#msg403457

1. Resize you photos to 640 x 480  & less than 150K per photo.
2. Click  "Attachments and other options"  under each new post.
3. Click post.

( NB. If you are thinking of Add Image to post, it's so unreliable, we've removed it... permanently! )

poll

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #195 on: January 22, 2013, 05:50:17 pm »

Anyone know how to upload a photo from a mobile phone (Android) straight on to the Forum?   {:-{
Hi Martin.  This is a photo from my phone.

John.

poll

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #196 on: January 22, 2013, 11:08:10 pm »

Hi Martin. This is from my phone ( Android )
  Is this what you are looking for, I Googled model boat mayhem-forum. The site came up,

Model boat mayhem-forum-index. clicked this and came up with the forum site. Then went down the route
  when you put a post on, with a attachment   640x480

John

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #197 on: February 18, 2013, 02:21:38 pm »

( Photos sizes on the Forum [and computer in general] seem to be quite a bit of an unfathomable, concept for many people, even an anathema! )

If you want to know a bit more about it, see:
http://www.archivemyphotos.org/shoot.html
http://www.microscope-microscope.org/imaging/image-resolution.htm
http://www.canterbury.ac.nz/web/images/resolution.shtml

On Mayhem, photos need to be 640 x 480 pixels (dimensions) & less than 160Kilobytes (data size )

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=16854.msg167251#msg167251

( To give you an idea of the scale of the problem, 20 really big photos can easily take up more server space that the rest of the entire written part of the Forum!!!

MarkScratchBuilt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #198 on: March 16, 2013, 04:37:07 pm »

Im struggling to upload any photos.... its saying they are too big can anyone help? {:-{

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #199 on: March 16, 2013, 04:48:26 pm »

Scissors? :embarrassed:

Regards Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 21 queries.