Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Photos on the Forum & Resizing  (Read 285059 times)

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Photos on the Forum & Resizing
« on: April 08, 2006, 01:35:54 pm »

Re: Posting Photos, Images , Attachments
I've just enabled the "attachments " option in the forum,
 so when 'posting' a message, below the box you should see

Additional Options...
... in there, there is the option to -   Attach   -

This where you can "attach" a photo or image straight from your hard drive :o :o :o  
-NB.  ( 640 x 480 - 150Kb Max )

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Photos on the Forum & Resizing
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 06:14:10 pm »

Right,

I've had another look at this, here is today's delineative answer for resizing your photos for the Forum!

As usual Doug is quite correct, you need to resize & compress your photos before uploading to the Forum.
There is a difference between resizing Photos and Compressing photo -
resizing changes the appearance size, compressing reduces the amount of storage space required to store it - our main concern!

To resize AND compress your photos for the Forum.....
( First you may need to download the Windows XP 'Power Toy' Image Resizer - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx? )

1. Open Windows Explorer.
 ( Windows key + E or Right click my Computer > Explore or START > All Programs > Accessories > Windows Explorer )

2. Find your photographs on your computer, in my case C:\Temp2

3. Change to 'Thumbnail view'
   ( View > Thumbnails )

4. Click on the photo ( Photos ) you  want to resize.
   ( With 'Image Resizer' download and installed )
   ( Tip: Hold Ctrl key and click on photos - or -  click on first Photo, then press & hold down SHIFT KEY and click on the last
       photo you want to select, all photos in between will then be automatically selected )

With Photos selected ./ highlighted, RIGHT CLICK on one of the photos, slide down to "Resize Pictures"

5. A menu will pop up....

6. If you click on 'Advanced' you get 2 more options, make sure you DON'T CLICK THE 2nd OPTION -
                                                                                                   [ Resize the original picture ( Don't create copies ) ]

7. Select - SMALL  (fits a 640 x 480 screen )

8. Click on [ OK ]

9. A copy of the photo (photos) will then appear in the directory.

10. The new photo (photos) are resize and compressed down to 640 x 480

11. You can post 8 photos per POST say  640 x 480 & 150KB

12.".....and that's all there is to it !!!"

Full details on Mayhem - http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/Common/Photos.htm

To add Photos to a Post, have a look :
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=23.0

Martin
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

orby1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Barnsley Boy - gone South
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 02:47:47 am »

Hiya,
Magpie's made a good point there.  I used to make my pictures 600x800 and thought that was a good size to see any detail which may be on them (you can see on the Slo Mo thread that the 1st half of it has bigger pictures than the later half), and I was worried about how much room I was taking up. Now I realise I wasn't taking up any room at all on the Mayhem server, as I'm using a photo-hosting site instead.
Is that how it works? ??? Computers and servers aren't really my thing.
Anyway, the website I use is myimagehub.com - it's free and you don't get any adverts. I can recommend it. :)

Some of my pictures are 'widescreen' in shape (like Magpie's sub, above), and if they're displayed at a max width of 600 pixels, I guess they'll be lucky to get even 350 pixels high.  Couldn't it be set that only pictures which end up on the Mayhem server are limited to 600x600?  I have no idea if it's technically possible, but there are some cracking photographs on here and I love seeing them big, you can really get a better idea of the subject, and see (admire) detail lots lots better.

Just curious! :)  I'm aware how the forum's become so busy and been deservedly such a success, so I understand about saving room on the server.

Julian.

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 08:16:23 pm »

Hi Alan,

? 2 Possibilities:

1. If they are loaded on another site ie. an online photo album, the link may be incorrect - ( go back to the site, right click the photo, get the properties and actual link name, repost back on this forum with correct tags ).

2. More likely, I have a bit of a clean up of the form once every week or so and part of that is resize all the biggest photo files ( some are over 2 Meg!?! ) ... and sometime I get it wrong? :P

Please let me know where your photos are missing from and I'll see if I can restore the photos from the backups - if they were loaded direct to the Forum.

Martin.?

magpie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Subs Rock
    • magpieyachts
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 09:40:54 am »

You're right there. The site's server where you upload them, is where the file is stored and the space taken up etc. Putting bb code like the sub above, on a forum doesn't add anything in space except a tiny bit for your text. Your avatar is already stored on the server and is linked to the post only so takes no more space than it did when you uploaded it.
I hope this helps and sorry for taking so long to reply.
Jason
"Where's the sub gone?"
http://magpieyachts.com

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 11:52:32 am »

Having just bought a new PC which comes with Vista (the old one didn't like me going on holiday) I needed an alternative picture resizer as Vista doesn't have power toys as yet. I found this one on the web. It's free and seems to work. http://www.vso-software.fr/products/image_resizer/

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 07:26:48 pm »

If it does Bryan, I haven't found it yet but I've only had it a day or so! According to various reports on the Net Vista doesn't have this feature built in. Nor, regrettably does it have the Filmstrip view you could get in XP which I really liked. It does seem to have some other interesting features though and is a lot faster all round despite having a 60 day trial Norton loaded.

I've only got Vista because I bought a new PC - I wouldn't fancy trying to upgrade an existing one. I was happy enough with XP SP2 but before that I was happy with Windows 98 SE!

My MS Office 2002 doesn't work with Vista either, (I'm trying out Open Office instead) nor does my old HP printer although my newer one seems to with a "bodged" (but official) driver setup. Then there was the scanner driver to update, the Personal Organiser to reinstall, the GPS software to update speed camera locations (curse them!) etc. etc. Some things were easy, some less so. The old PC was 7 years old with a mid life refit so I can't really complain.

We shall see how it goes. I expect there will be a service pack soon... ::)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 08:45:28 pm »

Mine's working OK at the moment  :-* A few minor glitches but found out how to resolve them over the Net. You can turn off the user account popups if you want. Anyhow, it's a hell of a lot quicker than my old PC - for the moment anyway.

I agree that some older software doesn't work though which could be a problem but there is a compatibility feature which makes Vista look like XP or earlier which might resolve that.

So far, it's ahead of XP on points but it is installed on a brand new PC which obviously makes a lot of difference. Fingers crossed. I hear there is a service pack due soon!!

Bee

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 10:35:07 pm »

One of the problems with remote hosted pictures is that they often have limitted life so when opening old threads, maybe only months old, the photos aren't there. Also lots of them hit you with a login requirement. (please don't use this as a que to list your 'wonderfull' host that doesn't do this while dumping loads of spyware on you instead).

An annoying feature of this forum is the lists of threads do not indicate which ones have attachments and doesn't present thumbnails of the attachments allowing discretionary downloadig of the full picture. Must be terrible for people on dialup.

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 10:44:57 pm »

Hi Bee, When we first set up the forum we set it to display thumbnails but that just made things worse as each photo needed 2 spaces on the server, thumbnail & full size which just slowed everything down.

I use photobucket to alleviate the load on the Mayhem Forum server.

Martin.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 02:16:51 pm »

Yes it is very good, really good but for simplicity I use Microsoft Resizer,

All you do is,

Right click on the photo.

Scroll to resizer option on the open window.

Left click on resize picture

Another window opens with the photo size options.

Choose the size you require, click o.k.

The same picture appears next to the original one and is labeled small.

I find when I use this resizer and load the pictures into Paint Shop Pro they are 1 to 1 size which lets me see the size of picture that is going to be stored or printed.

Martin

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 08:44:10 pm »

Bugsy

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 03:21:20 pm »

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

Works fine without all that 'windows' bloat .................. {:-{

Sorry, did I mention that I'm a Mac user.   ;)

Gary.

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 06:06:02 pm »

"......did I mention that I'm a Mac user.  "

None of the heresy talk on here mate!!!  ok2

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 05:54:32 pm »

May I add my twopennyworth to this problem? For the Eagle-eyed amongst you,it may have been noticed (or not) that most of my posted pics have been pretty close to the 161kb limit that has been set. Using the following method it's possible to get within 1kb of whatever target you set yourself. The method I choose certainly sounds long winded, but honestly, it's dead easy and quick. Much harder to write about than actually do. I can now get a 3mb pic to 160kb in about 4 minutes.
I'm using Paint Shop Pro 8 (and 10 now and again), but I'm sure other programmes have a similar feature.
I shall use one pic as an example. Sorry if I'm teaching some of you how to "suck eggs", but there does seem to be a problem "out there".
My original pic is 800kb..as found by just hovering the mouse over the "thumbnail". I've also adjusted my camera to resolve all pics in JPG format...but of course this is up to you.
1. Copy the original pic to a blank folder (always handy to have one). This saves the original in its original size. When copying the copy comes up in PSP (Paint Shop Pro) format at 9mb. So always save in JPG (or whatever other format the forum will accept). So I return to 800kb.
2. Bring up the copy to "Full Screen".
3. On the top screen bar, click on "Image", and scroll down the menu to click on "Resize".
    Disregard the top bit. The rest is in 3 sections. Disregard the middle one.
    In the top section there is a panel that gives you the option of "pixels" or "percentage". Set this to "Pixels"
4. In the 3rd section.
    Tick the box "Maintain Original Print Size".
    Tick the box "Lock Target Aspect Ratio".
    Tick the box "Resize All Layers".
If you don't then you'll get some pretty weird results)
Now your computer is "set up" and won't need changing in the future.
And so we start "re-sizing" to fit the forum size req'd.

Forget the original size of your pic.....that's just a start point.
On this particular one I'm going to start off with a pixel width of 1150.
Click "OK" and the pic shrinks...but you don't know how big it is. So click it off and click "save". Hover the mouse over the thumbnail and I find the size is 230kb. Too big.
Repeat the process in easy stages. You'll get more adept as you go along. Try not to "undershoot" as it works better going "down" rather than "up".
In this instance I find that 990 pixels gives me 159kb. OK. Just under the 161kb limit required for posting.

As I said, it sounds long winded when put into words, but try it, and see how easy it is. At 160kb you can enlarge quite a lot without getting the "jaggies" you find when enlarging "small" etc. Cheers. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2009, 07:22:05 am »

Excellent Bryan!  :-))

Here a page I found an old page on Mayhem that shows Bryan's method, step by step.
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/Common/Photos.htm

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 10:39:35 pm »

deadwood

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 10:47:48 am »

just a quick one  :} anyone know of a re sizer that will on a Linux web book one that works like the one on the forum any help gratefull
I guess he will have found a Linux solution by now.
But as I cannot imagine that the two of us are the only Linux users here and because ministeve has never received an answer I thought I should mention ImageMagick.
As for an OpenSource OS like Linux there are most likely countless other image manipulation and resizing programs around there.
However, I found ImageMagick to be extremely useful, versatile and to be of the "proper" Unix manner of handling even complex tasks at the command line.
IM is fully scriptable and has APIs for all sorts of programming and scripting languages, though this is hardly ever needed.
It comes with an executable called convert which lets you in a simple shell loop convert and resize a whole hard disk with GBs full of images by a few keystrokes.
It should be part of the standard software package repositories of most Linux distros.
So on a RedHattish distro like RHEL, CentOS, ScientificLinux, Fedora (the ones that I use) you would simply install it as root along with all possible prerequisites like
Code: [Select]
# yum -y install ImageMagick
shouldn't it be installed already.
I guess on Debian, Ubuntu, Mint and the likes you would install it like
Code: [Select]
$ sudo apt-get install ImageMagick
assumed the packages is named like that thereon. But the mentioned website above should tell how it is installed on different distros.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2011, 08:11:38 pm »

How do you add "captions/comments" under multiple photo uploads, such as in the build logs.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2011, 08:19:48 pm »

The pictures musn't be hosted by Mayhem's site.  Other hosting sites require you to enter their code for that particular photo, so you can paste them on here with alternate text.

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2011, 01:21:13 am »

What I am trying to do is upload a photo, from my PC and say insert/add some commentary, if that is possible.

If done as, say a word document, then it exceeds the max upload size?

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2011, 11:15:27 am »

Word documents are very processor hungry.

If you must put words to a picture then it's possible to add them on Photoshop. You then reduce the size of the picture to image size 500 pixels and then save it as a web picture in the Gif format.

This will bring it to under the allowed 161 KB for the Mayhem site

Failing all this, then just post the words first and the picture underneath as a single post.

Hope this helps

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2011, 11:40:27 am »

Word documents are very processor hungry.

If you must put words to a picture then it's possible to add them on Photoshop. You then reduce the size of the picture to image size 500 pixels and then save it as a web picture in the Gif format.

This will bring it to under the allowed 161 KB for the Mayhem site

Failing all this, then just post the words first and the picture underneath as a single post.

Hope this helps

ken

Have been doing that, but if want to post more than one picture, then that means two separate posts.

nick_75au

• Full Mayhemer
    • Logan City Marine Modellers
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2012, 05:33:37 am »

Just trying out a Dropbox photo link

BTW its a Hong Kong ferry by Henry a member of our club

Nick

Rob Wood

• Full Mayhemer
  • The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
  • Location: San Marcos, California (North San Diego County, USA)
    • My Combat Club Website
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2012, 03:46:40 pm »

Hi Nick,

Your original photo size is 1024 pixels wide, but this site is configured to display images no wider than 650 pixels. When the forum resize tool shrinks the display, it sometimes degrades the quality. The guidelines recommend resizing images on your own to no larger than 640 pixels on the largest dimension. If you do resize, you can crop the photo so the subject is larger, even if the overall photo size is considerably smaller than the original.

I've grabbed your original image from Dropbox, cropped it and resized it in Photoshop to 640 pixels in width, then uploaded it to my own server, just to illustrate:

Hope this helps.

Rob
“All right, they’re on our left, they’re on our right, they’re in front of us, they’re
behind us… they can’t get away this time” — Lieutenant General Lewis B.”Chesty” Puller
(when surrounded by 8 enemy divisions)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 23   Go Up

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 22 queries.