Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Photos on the Forum & Resizing  (Read 285387 times)

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Photos on the Forum & Resizing
« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2012, 08:35:13 pm »

testing

these are 1024 x 680 pixels and are 122kbits

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: November 05, 2012, 09:07:23 pm »

Lovely clear picture.     :-))

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: November 05, 2012, 09:10:35 pm »

thx mate  :-))

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2012, 01:08:51 pm »

Martin - tried this one - attempted to upload a jpg. Got a message saying it was an illegal file type, only JPG, PNG etc allowed %%

Barrie

UNIX servers tend to be case sensitive so jpg is not the same as JPG. Try renaming your picture.
Don't Assume Check

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2012, 03:09:13 pm »

UNIX servers tend to be case sensitive so jpg is not the same as JPG. Try renaming your picture.

Yes I know that, but it rather defeats the idea that its easy to use if you have to change the case of the file type. Most people don't have their PCs set to display the file type I find.

Barrie

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2012, 08:43:28 pm »

Yes I know that, but it rather defeats the idea that its easy to use if you have to change the case of the file type. Most people don't have their PCs set to display the file type I find.

Barrie

Correct.

Not to mention what the differences are and why.
This may explain a lot of the difficulties being experienced when Uploading.

Perhaps someone should put up a Tutorial now about photos, such as but not restricted to,

1. Photo extensions what are they.
2. The types
3. How to change them.

There is a tendency by "knowledgeable" members assuming that all members have the same degree of computer literacy/understanding which is a severe failing. Some have clearly express they do not and have been ignored.

This is reflected in the questions asked and the frustration expressed by respondents particularly in this thread. Indeed one has said they have given up. Do we want to lose members this way.

We must not lose sight of Keeping It Simple, don't assume.

Gunna build those other boats one day.

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2012, 10:34:27 pm »

Perhaps someone should put up a Tutorial now about photos, such as but not restricted to,

1. Photo extensions what are they.
2. The types
3. How to change them.

As someone used to photo manipulation, it seems it might be also worth mentioning the fact that an images physical size, in various formats, has nothing to do with it's file size. That is,  a 640 x 480 photo that has not been compressed adequately could have a file size many times that of one the same dimensions that has.

In Adobe Photoshop, there is a facility for altering compression rates to optimise file sizes so that they are as small as possible while maintaining their integrity from pixelating etc. and Im very used to using it but not sure how those who haven't a comparable application would address that problem....

It is a complex area but I'm all too aware that large image file sizes cost money on servers, who charge by the Mb.  If we as members can use outside hosting, whenever possible, like Photobucket and Flikr which are free, we will save Martin and Mayhem a lot of money in the long run as large file sizes and their cost then don't become a problem that Martin has to contend with....
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

Stavros

« Reply #82 on: November 06, 2012, 10:39:54 pm »

It is a complex area but I'm all too aware that large image file sizes cost money on servers, who charge by the Mb.  If we as members can use outside hosting, whenever possible, like Photobucket and Flikr which are free, we will save Martin and Mayhem a lot of money in the long run as large file sizes then don't become a problem that Martin has to contend with....

Cant AGREE more with what you are saying,it seems to me there is far to much confushion about the how to put pics up on here,it is so so simple as I keep banging on to members on here but it all goes on DEAF ears I am afraid.PHOTOBUCKET is so so simple to use it is FREE and you DO NOT need to resise a pic it does it all for you,lest face it if you can get on here and we all know how to copy and paste,so NOW whats the excuse

Dave

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2012, 01:22:29 am »

It is a complex area but I'm all too aware that large image file sizes cost money on servers, who charge by the Mb.  If we as members can use outside hosting, whenever possible, like Photobucket and Flikr which are free, we will save Martin and Mayhem a lot of money in the long run as large file sizes then don't become a problem that Martin has to contend with....

Cant AGREE more with what you are saying,it seems to me there is far to much confushion about the how to put pics up on here,it is so so simple as I keep banging on to members on here but it all goes on DEAF ears I am afraid.PHOTOBUCKET is so so simple to use it is FREE and you DO NOT need to resise a pic it does it all for you,lest face it if you can get on here and we all know how to copy and paste,so NOW whats the excuse

Dave

We are doing it again, making assumptions "if you can etc etc then no problem" but if you can't then what or how.

I have had problems with cutting and pasting and I thought I knew how to do it.

Tried cutting and pasting from some posts and got all sorts of weird characters so....................

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2012, 01:26:31 am »

As someone used to photo manipulation, it seems it might be also worth mentioning the fact that an images physical size, in various formats, has nothing to do with it's file size. That is,  a 640 x 480 photo that has not been compressed adequately could have a file size many times that of one the same dimensions that has.

In Adobe Photoshop, there is a facility for altering compression rates to optimise file sizes so that they are as small as possible while maintaining their integrity from pixelating etc. and Im very used to using it but not sure how those who haven't a comparable application would address that problem....

It is a complex area but I'm all too aware that large image file sizes cost money on servers, who charge by the Mb.  If we as members can use outside hosting, whenever possible, like Photobucket and Flikr which are free, we will save Martin and Mayhem a lot of money in the long run as large file sizes and their cost then don't become a problem that Martin has to contend with....

Was not aware of that  :-)) :-)) and no doubt explains why after resizing and trying to upload am told it is too big. O0 O0

colin-d

• Full Mayhemer
    • my hobby
« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2012, 05:29:14 am »

a good size of photo's would be: 640 x 480 Pixels, which is very close to the Old photo size of 9" x 7"
 if you were then able to change to quality to say good insted of brilliant, then you would end up with a file that would be about 50-100Kb in size, but still be rather large to look at.

just altering the size of the photo, does not always make it small in bytes, the quality (dots per inch "DPI") of the photo takes a lot more bytes than most people think.

another good link would be..:
http://www.photo-freeware.net/photo-resize-magic.php

a small piece of free software that can be downloaded, very easy and simple to use

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2012, 07:40:50 am »

if you were then able to change to quality to say good insted of brilliant, then you would end up with a file that would be about 50-100Kb in size, but still be rather large to look at.
just altering the size of the photo, does not always make it small in bytes, the quality (dots per inch "DPI") of the photo takes a lot more bytes than most people think.

It's important to differentiate between resolutions in PPI and the compression options you have with JPEG, Gifs etc. .. I don't know that application but I suspect that changing the "Quality" in it is in fact a basic way of changing the compression. Again, it looks a very useful tool for those sorts of simple adjustments and for those who really aren't computer savvy, it may be a good way of preparing photos for being hosted on the forum...

However again, Photobucket removes any need to worry about file compression and all anyone has to do is then to just size the photo physically which again is easy in Photobucket and the results don't cost Martin a penny.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2012, 08:10:58 am »

Was not aware of that  :-)) :-)) and no doubt explains why after resizing and trying to upload am told it is too big. O0 O0

Indeed it does, and that's why the words we use to describe things is so important. "Image Size" is an imprecise term which has come to mean two often unrelated things, physical picture size and file size. ... It's very important when discussing these matters that we are clear which of these we are referring to.   :-)

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2012, 03:28:40 pm »

STILL AS PLAIN AS MUD TO ME ALL THESE HIGH AND MIGHTY WORDS DO NOT MEAN A THING TO ME   REGIMENT {-)

Stavros

« Reply #89 on: November 07, 2012, 03:43:00 pm »

Regiment I have pmed you explaining how to do it,use what I have said and you |DO NOT have to resise etc etc etc

Dave

gra2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: November 13, 2012, 08:44:40 am »

Hi,
Can Photo Image on this forum be fixed.
I cannot upload photos.
Gra2

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: November 13, 2012, 09:46:32 am »

It seems you are not the only one.  There is plenty written about it

Can you transfer to  Photo bucket

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: November 13, 2012, 03:29:12 pm »

Why should anyone have to use photobucket or any other third party software to resolve a self inflicted wound, its reasonable to expect the glitch to be fixed otherwise lose credibility and mayhemers, they only have so much patience.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: November 13, 2012, 03:52:35 pm »

I seem to be getting the hang of it using the 'Attach;' option under the text box, but little luck with the 'add image to post' option...
However I am a total luddite :}
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

furball

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: November 13, 2012, 04:09:53 pm »

I must admit, I've not had a problem posting photos, but I'm using PicassaWeb to host my pics, which has a couple of options, 'Link' or 'Embed Image'. If you use 'Link', all I get is a small box (although if you right click and select 'Open Image in new tab' you can still see the picture), but if you select 'Embed Image' there's no problem. I think 'Link' actually links to the Picassa page itself, rather than the hosted image, which is why there's a problem.

Lance

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Marineville will be destroyed, Muahahaha.....
« Reply #95 on: November 13, 2012, 10:07:15 pm »

I have had no problems at all, either by using Postimage.org or selecting photos directly from my computer, could this be due to the set up of individual peoples computers, as some have problems and some don't. :-)) :-)) :-))
What I do is best not discussed, for I have been many things in my time....

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #96 on: November 13, 2012, 10:08:32 pm »

I have had no problems at all, either by using Postimage.org or selecting photos directly from my computer, could this be due to the set up of individual peoples computers, as some have problems and some don't. :-)) :-)) :-))

%) %) %) %) %) %) 8) 8) 8)

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: November 13, 2012, 11:06:31 pm »

hmm lets have a go with postimage...
no it just comes up with invalid image - I do notice a 'register' and 'login' box in the corner, do we need to register to use it?
now for the attach image at the bottom
this was made years back.
Grendel

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: November 13, 2012, 11:30:28 pm »

well I registered and this still comes up invalid file at the end,always just as its finished it comes up invalid images, this seems to be at the point where it tries to load the code from postimge to this site, as the self same images were able to be loaded to postimage externally to this forum - I notice that those who seem able to use postimage may have upgraded user priveleges (moderators) so it may be a permissions issue.
heres the posts from postimage via a copy paste direct from their page.

Grendel

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: November 13, 2012, 11:34:49 pm »

the model was made from tongue and groove cladding breadboard fashion as it was for putting someones ashes in and then the model was to be set afire and sent sailing off down river at york. in the end the family liked it so much they kept it and used something else instead.
Grendel
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 23   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.