Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Photos on the Forum & Resizing  (Read 285051 times)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Photos on the Forum & Resizing
« Reply #125 on: November 14, 2012, 08:57:23 pm »

Bob K did you know you do not have to resise photos to upload to photobucket !!! just upload and then as you say copy and paste,Didnt know this for years till our good friend on here Dicky D told me

Dave

My photos start off around 3Mb, which is a lot to upload.  Reworking it myself is extra time but I can also crop, enhance and sharpen it as required, and have it the size I define.  Problems with Photobucket are that it can often be slow, and sometimes rotates images for no apparent reason. 
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Stavros

« Reply #126 on: November 14, 2012, 10:05:14 pm »

How I add a single image using 'Add image to post'.
I'm using Windows XP with the images saved in 'My Pictures' - Keep it simple to start with -  K.I.S.S.!

If you are using 'Windows 7' you may need to right'click on your selected image to 'Unblock' restrictions which will allow the image to upload. Otherwise you may get an 'Invalid File' message.

1.) Select 'Reply' beneath the last post
2.) 'Reply Box appears and select 'Add image to post'
3.) 'postimage.org' box pops-up in a new window on screen. Select 'Image' (to post a single image), and then 'Browse' to view and find image files on hard drive.
4.) A window opens-up on screen allowing selection of image. Click on chosen image and then 'Open'
5.) Screen returns to 'postimage.org window' and slected file name appears next to 'Browse' button. Press 'Upload It!'
6.) Upload Bar appears showing progress...
7.) 'Redirecting' appears for a second or two before 'postimage.org' window closes...
8.) Screen returns to Mayhem with image code showing in 'Reply' box.
9.) Selecting the 'Preview' button enables visual confirmation that the image has uploaded.
10.) Select 'Post' button to upload to Mayhem forum thread.

Good grief what a palava I think i will stick to Photobucket far far SIMPLER and it doesnt clutter VALUABLE Mayhem band width

Dave

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #127 on: November 14, 2012, 10:15:58 pm »

7.) 'Redirecting' appears for a second or two before 'postimage.org' window closes...

And that's where it goes wrong as far as I'm concerned, at step (7) 'Redirecting appears as you say, then it returns to the 'Reply' box, but there's nothing there ............... Zilch !

and that is for all browsers I use, Firefox, Chrome and I.E. ..... I'm beginning to suspect it may just be a security issue with one of my firewalls that's blocking uploads to their site ....
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

ardarossan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #128 on: November 14, 2012, 11:03:09 pm »

And that's where it goes wrong as far as I'm concerned, at step (7) 'Redirecting appears as you say, then it returns to the 'Reply' box, but there's nothing there ............... Zilch !

and that is for all browsers I use, Firefox, Chrome and I.E. ..... I'm beginning to suspect it may just be a security issue with one of my firewalls that's blocking uploads to their site ....

Dave,

Working around a perceived 'problem' doesn't solve anything. You also should bear in mind that there are people on here of different ages and computer/internet experience. The less familiar users aren't going to benefit from having a variety of websites thrown at them, even if in the long-run, they were actually 'better off'.

Until a couple of night ago, I wasn't aware that 'Windows 7' could block an image from uploading. The first I knew of it was when the 'postimage.org' upload told me I was uploading an invalid file.
The file was a relatively small jpg and I was baffled, because I knew there was nothing wrong with it, until I 'right-clicked' the image in My Pictures and the image 'Properties' window opened with a warning that it was blocked.
Until that point, it seemed that website was at 'fault' although, in reality, the cause was within the laptop and 'Windows 7'.

Perhaps, it would be helpful if we could determine the cause of the existing 'problems', as it might be possible to help some users fix anomalies which aren't necessarily related to the upgrade. Otherwise, if less-experienced users start using several websites when one would have been sufficient, it will be harder to try and assist them if their 'problems' still persist. 

Andy

p.s. Could someone confirm whether postimage.org uses bandwidth please, as I thought the images were hosted elsewhere
How much wood would a Woodchuck chuck, if a Woodchuck would chuck wood?

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #129 on: November 14, 2012, 11:37:43 pm »

well, this morning Martin reloaded the new version of the code for postimage - since then I have been able to upload using it. I had highlighted this as a possible problem when uploading from the link here at that time I had been getting the invalid file error, by going to the postimage website , registering and then uploading a set of images from outside the forum, I verified that the fault didnt lie with postimage, by copying the link and pasting them manually into my post, which worked, this led me to think the problem was within the coding on the forum and that maybe the old version wasnt compatible with the new version of the forum, thus reccomending that the latest version be loaded into the forum - for me this solved the post image problem.
the only other thing I can think isthat some users are getting an old version of the reply page (its called caching) where the pc saves the page to make loading it easier, which needs updated (hence the recommendation to 'ctrl f5' (pressing the ctrl button and the f5 button simultaneously) which refreshes the page without using the copy saved on your computer. hopefully causing the uploads to work again.
To answer Andy the images loaded by postimage are hosted elsewhere so do save the bandwidth used by the site.
Grendel

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #130 on: November 15, 2012, 12:34:09 am »

Why should anyone have to use photobucket or any other third party software to resolve a self inflicted wound, its reasonable to expect the glitch to be fixed otherwise lose credibility and mayhemers, they only have so much patience.

Actually I think it should be reasonable to have patience and realise this is a free forum, run by martin and the crew in their own personal spare time, with no reward, except that they provide us with a place to discuss, seek advice and share photos. Is it really so hard to spend the extra couple of minutes putting things on photobucket?

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #131 on: November 15, 2012, 07:18:44 am »

the only other thing I can think isthat some users are getting an old version of the reply page (its called caching) where the pc saves the page to make loading it easier, which needs updated (hence the recommendation to 'ctrl f5' (pressing the ctrl button and the f5 button simultaneously) which refreshes the page without using the copy saved on your computer. hopefully causing the uploads to work again.
Grendel

It's not a caching problem, the first time I attempted using I.E. was after the Postimage software was updated and got the same negative result, so that's not the problem. I use Photobucket usually but it's an interesting problem and one that it would be nice to solve, especially for those less able or unwilling to use other image hosts like Photobucket.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #132 on: November 15, 2012, 11:10:26 am »

How I add a single image using 'Add image to post'.
I'm using Windows XP with the images saved in 'My Pictures' - Keep it simple to start with -  K.I.S.S.!

If you are using 'Windows 7' you may need to right'click on your selected image to 'Unblock' restrictions which will allow the image to upload. Otherwise you may get an 'Invalid File' message.

1.) Select 'Reply' beneath the last post
2.) 'Reply Box appears and select 'Add image to post'
3.) 'postimage.org' box pops-up in a new window on screen. Select 'Image' (to post a single image), and then 'Browse' to view and find image files on hard drive.
4.) A window opens-up on screen allowing selection of image. Click on chosen image and then 'Open'
5.) Screen returns to 'postimage.org window' and slected file name appears next to 'Browse' button. Press 'Upload It!'
6.) Upload Bar appears showing progress...
9.) Selecting the 'Preview' button enables visual confirmation that the image has uploaded.
10.) Select 'Post' button to upload to Mayhem forum thread.

I too am using XP and my pictures, did all of the above but there was no image in preview, but will give it another go and see what happens.
The direct attachment however worked fine and was quicker.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #133 on: November 15, 2012, 11:26:50 am »

Actually I think it should be reasonable to have patience and realise this is a free forum, run by martin and the crew in their own personal spare time, with no reward, except that they provide us with a place to discuss, seek advice and share photos. Is it really so hard to spend the extra couple of minutes putting things on photobucket?

Can you guarantee that photobucket is absolutely free to use and also free from malware, spyware, adware, etc.
My understanding as espoused by 'gurus' is never download free software that you are not going to use on a regular basis,  photobucket is in this category.

I really don't care, how much some members wax lyrical about how great it is but this is my PC and I am the bunny that has to fix/get it fixed when things go wrong.
So no thanks don't see the need for Photobucket if I can upload photos direct from my PC.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #134 on: November 15, 2012, 11:42:03 am »

Try again with add image to see if it now works.

No it is failing like everyone else says at redirecting

Will now do attachment

Well attachment direct from my PC still works for me, so will stick with that as it is simple to use.

Digressing is this ESC any good for boats.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #135 on: November 15, 2012, 12:02:04 pm »

should be ok depending on the motor you plan to use with it, but its forwards only and will possibly need extra cooling
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #136 on: November 15, 2012, 12:06:40 pm »

My understanding as espoused by 'gurus' is never download free software that you are not going to use on a regular basis,  photobucket is in this category.

Surely Photobucket is in fact similar to PostImage in that they are both image hosting services. You don't "download" Photobucket, you upload to it as you would Postimage, the only difference being that with Photobucket you have control over your photos by having your own account, whereas if you use the link on Mayhem, you lose control over them once they are uploaded.

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #137 on: November 15, 2012, 01:45:43 pm »

FYI.... I'm in talks with CubeUpload... they may be able to come up with something for us!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

LarryW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #138 on: November 15, 2012, 02:22:28 pm »

my postimage is still giving the  same problems as before also still no spell check ...... >>:-(
never pass a skip

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #139 on: November 15, 2012, 02:22:54 pm »

Martin, I belong to a few, long established, unrelated forums  (watch forums actually) and always the members there have to provide their own image hosting in the way of Photobucket, Flickr etc. etc.  ...

You do a great job of providing this forum for us and it's great of you to try to organise something with CubeUpload but surely  I would have thought it wasn't above the capabilities of anyone here to do the same or be prepared to learn to in order to make your life easier..

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #140 on: November 15, 2012, 03:40:45 pm »

Good point Artistmike!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #141 on: November 15, 2012, 03:42:56 pm »

my postimage is still giving the  same problems as before also still no spell check ...... >>:-(

Hi Larry,

Looks like you will have to learn one of the other methods shown on here numerous times, they all work, it's only Postimage.org that's flaky....

Spell check works!           Look!

LarryW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #142 on: November 15, 2012, 03:57:00 pm »

Hello Martin,
                        Thank you for help ,        jast typed mis selt words to test spell check , no joy...... Larry.
                     FOLLOWED YOUR HELP BY THE BOOK
never pass a skip

ardarossan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #143 on: November 15, 2012, 04:10:06 pm »

Hello Martin,
                        Thank you for help ,        jast typed mis selt words to test spell check , no joy...... Larry.
                     FOLLOWED YOUR HELP BY THE BOOK

Have you remembered to alter your device setting to allow pop-ups?

Andy

LarryW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #144 on: November 15, 2012, 04:43:42 pm »

Andy  Thank you , for help you have now sorted it thank you Larry...... :-))

oh look a picture %% {-) :-))
never pass a skip

ardarossan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #145 on: November 15, 2012, 05:05:54 pm »

Excellent News!  :-))
For the benefit of anyone else who is having an issue, what was the problem and how did you sort it out?

Andy

LarryW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #146 on: November 15, 2012, 05:16:54 pm »

A complete re boot , i will pass on how , but photo image comes and goes ,   

if it plays up again i will reboot with a size 9   {-)Larry.....
never pass a skip

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #147 on: November 15, 2012, 05:59:57 pm »

Still redirecting!!!.

Stavros

« Reply #148 on: November 15, 2012, 07:35:31 pm »

Can you guarantee that photobucket is absolutely free to use and also free from malware, spyware, adware, etc.

I really don't care, how much some members wax lyrical about how great it is but this is my PC and I am the bunny that has to fix/get it fixed when things go wrong.
So no thanks don't see the need for Photobucket if I can upload photos direct from my PC.

100000000000000000000000000000% FREE FREE FREE
I have used it for the last 8 years and have NEVER had a SINGLE problem with viruses etc etc etc
Lest put it another way I for one would NEVER reccomend any site that had problems associated with it,I am like YOU that I am NOT a computer wizzkid and haev to pay to get mine fixed if it breaks,

I have read read and read the posting reference postimage if you can understand that one which I ca not well you certaintly can use photbucket

Dave

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #149 on: November 15, 2012, 08:54:29 pm »

100000000000000000000000000000% FREE FREE FREE
I have used it for the last 8 years and have NEVER had a SINGLE problem with viruses etc etc etc
Lest put it another way I for one would NEVER recommend any site that had problems associated with it,I am like YOU that I am NOT a computer whizkid and have to pay to get mine fixed if it breaks,

I have read read and read the posting reference postimage if you can understand that one which I ca not well you certainly can use photbucket

Dave

Dave,
 Fair enough. Flattery will get you everything,
Needless to say I have no experience with photobucket, but will now look into it.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 23   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.