Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CHANT Channel Tanker  (Read 5861 times)

nick_75au

CHANT Channel Tanker
« on: March 20, 2010, 09:35:21 am »

Anyone have any info on these ships
thanks
Nick

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: CHANT Channel Tanker
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 10:56:45 am »

Models by Design do a 1:32 and a 1:48 scale hull with drawings.

http://www.modelsbydesign.co.uk/model_boats.aspx

CHANT.

WWII Standard Design Channel Tanker.

The CHANT channel tanker was designed during WWII to carry petrol and oil products for the Allied invasion of Europe in 1944, in all 43 were built, some inland in sections. Their straight line designs had no curved or twisted plates and with no sheer gave them a rather ugly appearance which resulted in them being nicknamed "Churchills Holy Answer to the Nazi Terror".

The very well detailed, full-size two sheet plans show a typical wartime CHANT with its armament. The model hull is equally suitable for the dry cargo version "Empire F" class (so called because all their names began "Empire F...") Differences between the two classes being shown on the plans.

A total of 25 vessels of the dry cargo version was built, after the war many were decommisioned and sold into civilian use, some are still believed to be trading in the Mediterranean.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

nick_75au

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 11:16:39 am »

Thanks Dicky D
I've started a 1/144 hull as an intro to warship combat, poor little thing's going to be blasted by BB's if I decide to get into it. Its only 12 inches long if Ive got my calculations correct, I've made it about 10 mm too wide for a little extra buoyancy.
there's precious little info on the web, I only need as detailed as what may be found on a card model.
Nick

captain ron

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 09:17:38 pm »

Me and a couple of the guys at richmond model boat club fancy making a 1/24th scale model .If anyone has a set of drawings we could get a copy of or any pictures / info we would be much abliged.

Ron

John R Haynes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 02:58:48 pm »

In 1984  built the Science Museum model at 1/48 along with a hull cross-section model  I think they are still on display in the Museum. The plans I had were sketchy but I do have photos of this class and , of course , photos of my model. www.johnrhaynes.com

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 05:13:07 pm »

In 1984  built the Science Museum model at 1/48 along with a hull cross-section model  I think they are still on display in the Museum. The plans I had were sketchy but I do have photos of this class and , of course , photos of my model. www.johnrhaynes.com

where did you get the drawings??

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 08:22:14 pm »

May help you , try this link to the ships built at goole , http://www.gooleships.co.uk/goolesb/goolesb.htm .
Have a look at the 1944 section  there is a list of chant ships built #27/8 have photos .
There may be a possibillity that the library will still have a engineers model and plans for the ships .
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

John R Haynes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 06:18:17 pm »

The Science Museum came up with the plans but these were not great. However with the photos and sizes on the plans I was able to put this ship together  www.johnrhaynes.com

Niall

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 07:52:06 pm »

May help you , try this link to the ships built at goole , http://www.gooleships.co.uk/goolesb/goolesb.htm .
Have a look at the 1944 section  there is a list of chant ships built #27/8 have photos .
There may be a possibillity that the library will still have a engineers model and plans for the ships .
daz

Also look at ships with names beginning "Empire", in the link above, some of these are the dry cargo version of the Chant design. There are a couple of useful photos of the rear quarter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.