Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: BBC: Richard Hammond's Engineering Connections  (Read 8917 times)

Bartapuss

• Full Mayhemer
  • Deltic's Rule OK!
Re: BBC: Richard Hammond's Engineering Connections
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2009, 01:54:58 pm »

pneumatician, whats even worse is said thicko's get paid thousands, and on the face of it, do'nt play very good football!!
Every time I learn something new, it pushes something old out of my brain - I says wot I likes and I likes wot I say!!!

OMK

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2009, 07:49:38 pm »

PMK,
I could not let slip that you have to have a license to watch TV,

Hi, Roy.
Yep - we still have to own a licence to watch TV legally here. It runs at somewhere around £140.00 each year, which might sound a lot, but every once in a while you do get see a real gem. On the other hand we are mostly inundated with hours and hours and hours and hours and hours of mindless drivel imported from Hollywood. This is the reason why designers of TV sets include an OFF button.

To get back to the original thread, the dwarf I spoke of in the previous post is none other than one Richard Hammond. I guess it's fair to say that he's of good education, but his ego is bigger than his stature, and seems to be about as popular as a fart in a space suit.

Take care down there.

Philipsparker

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2009, 09:22:13 am »

To get back to the original thread, the dwarf I spoke of in the previous post is none other than one Richard Hammond. I guess it's fair to say that he's of good education, but his ego is bigger than his stature, and seems to be about as popular as a fart in a space suit.

He's making hay while the sun shines. Since crashing a jetcar the BBC can't get enough of him so he's doing everything he can and raking in the cash. If someone offered me that sort of money you can bet none of my modelling projects would get finished while I became richer than most countries !

From reading articles in classic car mags he seems like a nice guy. I understand he is very popular with the ladeeze too but confess he does nothing for me.

Phil

john54

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2009, 08:11:59 pm »

Hear,Hear ok2

catengineman

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2009, 10:42:25 pm »

R H (hamster) was a very good radio presenter :-))

Hagar

« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2009, 08:15:13 am »

Quite funny actually. When he bent his rocket car, and was in hospital, evey one was up in the air; Ah Poor Hamster, Hope he's ok, bla bla bla yak yak bla.
Now he's just a tool that evey one like to take a swing at.
I for one think he's OK. Quite often you could see that he was openly extracting the urine in a way nowone else could get away with.

Not seen the program you are butchering, maybee in a coulpe of years it will get air time over here.

(TV license!!! the next nearest thing to legal robbery, We dont have them here any more; We have a media licence, You can imagin the joy i have had when subsequent to buying a new mobil phone and a new laptop, I got a nice letter saying cough up £200 for your licence!!)

OMK

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2009, 09:50:02 pm »

Now he's just a tool that evey one like to take a swing at.

You know, on reflection, I think you could be right. I guess it's all too easy to jump on the bandwagon and mock the man, rather than just appreciate it for what it is. After all, even though he looks as uncomfortable as a fish out of water when he's wearing engineering overalls, there is no denying that his programmes are still pretty entertaining to watch. And, to his credit, he does at least give the sense that he has done his homework on the subjects he talks of.
Maybe we're all just jealous of the dude because his job is a whole load more interesting than most of ours.

I almost feel guilty now for calling him a dwarf.

omra85

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2009, 10:38:39 pm »

Well I'm still jealous of his ability to make women go weak at the knees -
I have to use a baseball bat  <*<   {-) {-)
Danny

OMK

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2009, 06:35:06 am »

"I have to use a baseball bat."

Hehee! {-)

Yep - the old Neanderthal approach is usually a sure-fire winner. OTOH, you could try using a guitar. (And I don't mean you should biff them over the bonce with it.)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2010, 06:47:29 pm »

..... I hate Hammond anyway!  <*<

Why does he now look like a homeless person on the current Morrisons adverts?!?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2010, 10:11:39 pm »

Best engineering programmes ever on TV?- Fred Dibnah's series- informantive, explained the most complex joinery, stonemasonry and engineering in terms that everyone could understand and enjoyed watching, why? Because he loved what he was talking about, and what's more he knew what he was talking about- if he said that when the stonemasons who built Ely cathedral had solved a problem a certain way because he'd had the same problem you knew he wasn't making it up or quoting from a book or someone else- usually backed up by the proof of said claim in his yard in front of Betsy gently steaming in his hand-made sheds in his garden.

If ever there was a person who summed up British engineering excellence and the triumph of function over form it was 'our Fred'.

RIP Fred, good job your not around to see these poor imitations of informative 'engineering' programmes that we get pushed upon us.

To be fair, Hamster strikes me as a genuine guy and I admire him for what he's done in his career- as for his hair, well there is no excuse for that- maybe he will start wearing a flat cap too...?

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2010, 10:25:00 pm »

I met the "Hamster" about 7 or 8 years ago ... He's not a bad little chap and at least he tries to present things in a slightly off beat humorous way that makes the program worth watching and still gets the fact's across and unlike some presenters who don't know the difference between a Bobstay and a Martingale... at least he doze his homework ... so far I haven't seen any glaring mistakes unlike the Hollywood "Documentary's" on at the present time that don't know the difference between a Lancaster and a Liberator Bomber and have shown HMS Barham capsizing and blowing up as everything from Bismarck to to a Tanker in an Atlantic convoy >:-o >>:-( <*<....One could go on for ever ... IT WOULD be interesting to find out how much input HAMMOND has regarding the material used  {:-{
Freebooter
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2010, 01:33:39 pm »

What gives with all this "dwarf" business? What actually is wrong / funny /deserving of thickheaded ridicule with being about 5'6" or 5'7"? We of that height have as much option as those freaks that gro to 6'6" or more. And I'll bet that there are more people on this forum in the mid 5' range than there are 6' or over. Or perhaps you haven't yet grown up enough to realise people are people no matter how short or tall they are. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2010, 01:47:46 pm »

... not, it's 'him',  I just don't like, as a presenter.... what a condescending    get!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2010, 02:48:01 pm »

What gives with all this "dwarf" business? What actually is wrong / funny /deserving of thickheaded ridicule with being about 5'6" or 5'7"? We of that height have as much option as those freaks that gro to 6'6" or more. And I'll bet that there are more people on this forum in the mid 5' range than there are 6' or over. Or perhaps you haven't yet grown up enough to realise people are people no matter how short or tall they are. BY.

Well said :-))

PMK

« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2010, 06:45:55 pm »

More to the point, what gives with all the so-called "what gives" street-talk jive? It's bad enough being labeled a dwarf and suchlike, but seemingly perfectly okay to describe lanky people as freaks.

Kettles and pots, for sure.

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2010, 06:51:05 pm »

Don't think 'lanky' people were mentioned-
...We of that height have as much option as those freaks that gro to 6'6" or more.

Anyone that is taller than a doorway is fairly unusual wouldn't you say?

Greg

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2010, 07:56:38 pm »

What actually is wrong / funny /deserving of thickheaded ridicule with being about 5'6" or 5'7"?

Apparently about the same as being >15 stone. I've been "portly" for most of my life but I've got used to rolling with the punches. If you let it get to you then you end up being bitter and twisted as well as small/fat/tall/skinny/ugly/four-eyed/nerdy etc etc.

I can't think of many folk I know who aren't potential victims of some or other "-ist" faction, but damn few of 'em whinge about it on Internet forums.

FLJ

wesley

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2010, 10:33:21 pm »

There is nothing wrong with being short fat and ugly.

I am 34 years old, 5' 10" (short......ish) I currently weigh a tad under 18 stone (big/fat) and ugly, I am a tighthead prop for our local rugby team and have been since I was 18 years old (I promise not to post a mug shot of me here)

Strange thing is I have never been called fat, or anything else for that matter by anybody, to my face................ Can't think why!!!!! <*< <*<

Andrew

PMK

« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2010, 02:05:08 am »

Strange thing is I have never been called fat,

That's probably because you're not fat. Most all of the rugby-playing blokes around our way are roughly around the same height and build as yourself. Big but not fat. Put it this way, if you were fat you wouldn't be able to run a round a rugby field anyway. So you can't be fat. Fat is like people who live in Texas and eat McD's all day long.
FLJ is wacking on about being portly, but you stouter blokes just don't know how lucky you are.

BoatyBoy

« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2010, 07:27:57 am »

Oooh, SMS?

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2010, 12:03:09 pm »

...er  I think we'll draw a line there.

Richard Hammond, Love him or loath him, you still can get him off my TV quick enough!  :P

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Better than Hammon on TV!
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2010, 10:38:31 am »

Not to keep banging on about that idiot affable Hammond... well OK if you insist.

Is anyone watching Quest on Freeview/digital TV?

Chris Barrie (Red Dwarf) in Massive Speed, Massive Machines & Massive Engines:
 Great programs this week program was about Warships - how do you wake them go faster?
 http://www.questtv.co.uk/TV_Listings/02/04/2010
 http://www.ovguide.com/tv/chris_barrie_s_massive_speed.htm
   Great programs this week program was about Warships - how do you make them go faster?

&  Jonny Smith (Fifth Gear) in Industrial Junkies
 http://www.questtv.co.uk/programmes/industrial-junkie

... both of whom convey a depth of understanding, experience & passion for the subject matter.

Also on Quest, the fantastic, Mighty Ships,
 http://www.questtv.co.uk/programmes/mighty-ships
 Two excellent programs this week, M/V Fairplayer, world most powerful heavy lift ship & HDMS Absalon

.... whereas I get the feeling Hammond would quite happy reading the script for a flower show, taking the money and running.
       - then again, given half-a-chance, so would I!  O0

frazer heslop

« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2010, 11:45:56 am »

They should put that bloody hamster in his wheel and roll him of the highest mountain along with Clarkson and bring back perpetual motion at least that program covered some design classics .Maybe I'm just jealous of the hugh salaries for little value they get paid bit like bankers  >:-o >:-o.Theres always the on /off button more time for the toys :-)
regards Frazer
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.