Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pipe bending  (Read 5055 times)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Pipe bending
« on: March 24, 2010, 07:41:59 pm »

This may have been covered before but I need to bend copper/brass tube for railings on my Severn.

I am aware of springs to assist but I was was interested in what other machines there are to do the job.  I went into a plumbers today and tried their smallest pipe bender with my sample piece of tube at 6mm. Their smallest bending machine at £30 was tried and it put a kink in it, so I was not impressed.

Has anyone made (or obtained) a small bender which will handle pipes down to 3mm. I plan to make a device somehow as it must be possible to make a nice bend. If you could post pictures, then it might be possible to make such a device.

Thank you for looking,

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Pipe bending
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 08:07:03 pm »

Thank you Dueller.  What service.  Just the job:   Meethinks I can make this.   :-))

The Ebay one is the same as the one I tried in the shop. Still, at £13 would be be a cheaper investment if I went this route.

Cheers matey,

Ken

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 08:19:26 pm »

http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/Chronos_Catalogue_Arbor_Presses___Metalforming___Cutting_Tools_265.html

this has a groove at the end for tubes, I know they say out of stock but they are usually quick getting stuff back in ,there are a few sites selling them in the states ill find a link if you are interested.
the handy thing is you do it in stages  also make shore you anneal the pipe first.

Peter

Dueller

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 08:26:39 pm »

Another way to bend plumbing pipe was to fill it with sand first so the pipe will not kink, perhaps you could try something similar on smaller pipe. Use string or pehaps egg timer sand. Egg timers must be quite cheap to be able to sacrifice one.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 08:30:37 pm »

Thank for that, Peter. Plenty to think about here. I can see the theory now.

Also, I like your idea about annealing. By this, I assume you mean heat it up before bending. Suits me, as I have my welding torch.

I had considered the sand route, Dueller, but would prefer the mechanical way. The bender from Fun RC boats is the favourite at the moment.

Great ideas

Ken

Dueller

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 08:39:59 pm »

I have not done full research on the benders just had a look round. If you can find the brand name of it, it may be cheaper if you google.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 08:44:00 pm »

get the pipe over the gas stove, leave it as long as you can (more to hold on to) get it cherry red and let it cool. remember it work hardens so you may have to do it a few times
 cammet did sell some tube that was classed as easy bend, bit expensive but if you don't have to buy a bender,

Peter
found it

https://sslrelay.com/cammett.co.uk/html/tips.php?item=20

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 08:50:49 pm »

I have not done full research on the benders just had a look round. If you can find the brand name of it, it may be cheaper if you google.

I just searched Google. There's only 5900 references to the Dubro pipe bender.    :-))  The price has gone down to under a tenner. Might as well buy one as my labour rates are quite pricey.   %)

All the information and more.  What did I start here.   :embarrassed:  This subject is also covered in our Steam section and that is very informative on the subject of annealing.

Thanks for all your help guys

ken

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 08:58:06 pm »

Expo tools do a set of bending springs for £ 5.00

http://www.expotools.com/store/pages/products/index/pdf/p22.pdf
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 09:09:54 pm »

tassie48

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 09:10:16 pm »

Hi I have a angled flat plate that sits in the vice with holes drilled in it for different angles and pins to fit these holes and I bend up mu own crurves as required cost me couple bucks of scape and a hours drilling works great tassie48.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 09:26:13 pm »

Hi Dicky.  Sorry, but I've discounted springs. I'm after a mechanical device with accuracy. My wrists aren't as strong as they used to be.

Hi Peter.  Like your recommendation. Reminds me of my Grandfather who was a blacksmith, rather a lot of work to bend a small pipe.

Hi Tassie48. Clever idea but requires hand applied force, as per Dickies answer above.

It seems that 'Sussex model centre' is the only one listed on the Net. I wonder if they are sold in the local model shops.?

I've also learnt that 'thick walled' pipes bend without kinking as much as thin walled pipes.  I have been a busy boy tonight !!  All that learning is making my head throb.   %)

ken

Brian Roberts

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 09:39:31 pm »

Hi Ken

Why do you want to use brass tube for railings? I used 4.5mm brass wire on my Severn and it's so easy, strong and effective!

Brian

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 09:46:45 pm »

Hi Brian

It's lighter and easier to solder than solid brass.  I find brass needs excessive heat to solder together and this was putting me off.  I shall attempt the manufacture of the bender and if it fails then I may go your route.  I did try solid brass for the three little bars protruding from the rear cabin (under the life canisters) but had terrible trouble, hence my change of plan.

ken

Brian Roberts

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 10:07:29 pm »

Ken

I would still go down the brass wire route. I'm no great shakes at soldering, but I had no problems at all with my 50 watt soldering iron, and with a boat this size the extra weight will make no difference at all.

Brian

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 10:23:04 pm »

have you got a picture of the type of rail you are doing /

Peter

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2010, 07:06:38 pm »

My thanks to everyone who helped me on this problem. 

The problem is now solved and we continue the thread on the "Severn Build blog".   :-))

ken

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.