Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RFA Website  (Read 2722 times)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
RFA Website
« on: March 25, 2010, 03:07:38 pm »

Just had my first browse through this site. You don't have to be a fan of the RFA to enjoy it. Lots of old pictures and history.
For a bit of light relief may I suggest you have a go at the "jigsaw". I'd love to know how that's done so I can have a go myself!
Try <www.historicalrfa.org>. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: RFA Website
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 07:17:29 pm »

Hi Brian,

It looks like you put your mouse over a shape and left click and hold the button.  This allows you to slide the piece anywhere on the puzzle.  When you think it's in the correct position, then let go of the left mouse button and the piece will stay in the new position. You then choose another piece and repeat.

The master picture to follow,  is down below the pieces.     :-))

ken

update .......... 

I've just completed the puzzle.. It's quite hypnotic.  When you've moved a piece to the correct position, it locks in place and you can move the whole picture to find the missing pieces underneath.   Have fun

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 08:01:19 pm »

Hi Brian,

It looks like you put your mouse over a shape and left click and hold the button.  This allows you to slide the piece anywhere on the puzzle.  When you think it's in the correct position, then let go of the left mouse button and the piece will stay in the new position. You then choose another piece and repeat.

The master picture to follow,  is down below the pieces.     :-))

ken

update .......... 

I've just completed the puzzle.. It's quite hypnotic.  When you've moved a piece to the correct position, it locks in place and you can move the whole picture to find the missing pieces underneath.   Have fun

Kenny, I know it's only a bit of fun...but as you say, it's quite hyptonic.
But as always, there is reason behind the madness. The entire site is full of interesting "stuff" that I would hope Mayhemers who are interested in this sort of history may find rather more than just "interesting". Now all I have to do is to convince Martin to do a similar thing on here.
I guess that the limitation of 161kb could be a bit of a downer, but look at the possibilities.
Some of the pages etc have gone a bit "stale" recently; so perhaps, just perhaps, a jigsaw of either "Name That Ship" or "Name That Part" could be introduced? Total daftness,I agree. But worth thinking about when new ideas are possibly required? Cheers. BY.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 08:06:42 pm »

Ah!!   :embarrassed:         You meant "how was the jigsaw program written"

I agree it could be entertaining on Mayhem's site, but the programming of a boat picture with moving parts could be a job for an expert.

What do you say Martin.

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 08:28:33 pm »

I just completed the puzzle, and noticed that there was one piece that could not be moved. It was the "keystone", so to speak.

Peter.

pugwash

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 01:48:15 am »

Just had a quick look through the photo galleries - brought back a few memories of ships that had topped up
our FFO tanks over the years - names I had forgotten

Pugwash

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 01:45:55 pm »

I just completed the puzzle, and noticed that there was one piece that could not be moved. It was the "keystone", so to speak.

Peter.
Peter. That's odd. All the bits were moveable when I tried it! Bryan.

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 03:10:29 pm »

The program's written using a piece of software called Flash, and then it's embedded on the webpage.

Flash allows for loads of interaction - here, picking up and dropping pieces with the mouse. The scripting underlying the game checks whether a piece lands closely enough to lock to the completed picture, or remain separate.

Not too difficult to encode - but I see there are people offering similar software all over the place.

Andy, the self-employed Flash programmer!
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 04:39:29 pm »

The program's written using a piece of software called Flash, and then it's embedded on the webpage.

Flash allows for loads of interaction - here, picking up and dropping pieces with the mouse. The scripting underlying the game checks whether a piece lands closely enough to lock to the completed picture, or remain separate.

Not too difficult to encode - but I see there are people offering similar software all over the place.

Andy, the self-employed Flash programmer!

Thanks for that. The idea opens up a lot of the remaining little grey cells. I may just invest in one or other of the advertised software progs to play with when the weather turns nasty again and "stir-crazy" creeps in. Thanks again. Bryan.

Roger in France

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 05:26:07 pm »

Bryan,

A word of warning....be very careful what you download from the Net, especially if it is free or share ware.

I recently had my hard disk corrupted after downloading a "free" disc cleaning piece of software.

It cost me 140€ to repair and I lost my address list.

Roger in France

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 11:35:25 pm »

Bryan, here's a link to a Jigsaw site http://www.tibosoftware.com/download.htm

I have one of their programs on my PC (I thinks it's just the entry level one) and have experienced no problems of any kind. I am able to make puzzles from my own photos, or any photo I'm able to download. It's also possible to vary the size, shape and number of pieces in each puzzle. I find it very challenging, depending on the complexity of the picture, and entertaining. It can also be very addictive and time wasting  O0

Peter.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 04:44:23 pm »

Bryan, here's a link to a Jigsaw site http://www.tibosoftware.com/download.htm

I have one of their programs on my PC (I thinks it's just the entry level one) and have experienced no problems of any kind. I am able to make puzzles from my own photos, or any photo I'm able to download. It's also possible to vary the size, shape and number of pieces in each puzzle. I find it very challenging, depending on the complexity of the picture, and entertaining. It can also be very addictive and time wasting  O0

Peter.
Blimey! I seem to have spent all day saying "thank you" to people! But again, a thanks to Peter, I'll have a look at the link. I still hope there is some sort of lateral thinking "out there" that could make this rather entertaining stuff a "side-product" or adjunct to the main site. More reactions to the notion? BY.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.