Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: mud sucking  (Read 12792 times)

chris holley

mud sucking
« on: March 29, 2010, 09:30:28 pm »

Here is one for you,

i was down the boating lake sunday afternoon, i collected my gear an put it in the car an went for a walk along the sea (now the question) O0

has anyone ever seen, or made a working dredger  %%, if so any one got an pictures or videos they could send

thanks chris

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: mud sucking
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 09:43:08 pm »

Sounds simple enough!!!  :o
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

chris holley

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 09:47:43 pm »

for some one its simple for me, well i have trouble making a sandwich  :}, which reminds me i have to get some food for work.

any way back to the subject in hand, it does not sound hard a few pumps an pipes. servo operated arms an hay,

would be great to see one though

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 09:57:42 pm »

I would imagine that the biggest problem is that the stuff you want to dredge up doesn't scale down to model sizes. For example real sand would be too coarse for a model suction dredger and mud would be too compacted for a grab type model dredger. Same problem as when you try and make a model icebreaker - real ice is like reinforced concrete - your model just climbs up on top of it and then sinks by the stern.   :o

Colin

chris holley

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 10:01:00 pm »

very true  <:(, done not have dredge really mud or sand just give the impression its busy doing that

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 10:24:57 pm »

How about an old type bucket dredger, the type with a continuous rotation of large buckets on a kind of conveyer.
I cant find any pics , but I am sure one of the Mayhemers will. Over to you Dickie
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 11:55:01 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tassie48

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 01:28:04 am »

Chris a grab bucket dredge would be ok to build with a single crane and twin chain grab bucket and dredge hopper doors that open to release the dredging spoilings sand etc the only problem is the suction of the sand/ mud this is what causes the dredge to rock in roll the suction being a ex dredge crew I have seen a couple of these in r/c 1/48 and 1/24 scale would be a great fun model to work the old girl i worked on was a single screw grab dredge built 1948 have work trailing cutter suction,bucket endless chain of buckets,grab dredge,and the suction barge type dredgers.good project to build in r/c tassie48.

furball

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 11:42:14 am »

a grab bucket dredge would be ok to build

I wouldn't have thought that the bucket would be heavy enough to sink into the 'seabed' to grab anything, it would just sort of scrabble around.

Ditto with the continuous bucket dredge, getting enough weight behind the bucket chain to force it into the sand/mud/whatever.

Lance

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 01:04:33 pm »

If the model just sucked up, dredged up or bucketed up water it would still look quite realistic as it is mainly the water you see slopping everywhere on a full size working dredger.

Colin

poll

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 03:30:48 pm »

Hi Chris,  This IMG was scanned from Model Boats mag  FEB addition.  Photo took by Dave Wooley at MPBA National Finals At West Hull  2009. Hope this is some help.

John

chris holley

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 05:19:24 pm »

wow what a great img poll, just need to find a hull which looks right for the job

chris holley

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 10:10:12 pm »

:} were back yippee

Anyway been looking around the net for a hull models by design do a hull i could use the CHANT, 2 versions 37inc an 55inc hulls.

http://www.modelsbydesign.co.uk/uploads/thumbs/thumb_262.jpg

and the coaster by model slipway but there a bit expensive if i just want a hull. not found much else though will keep looking, anyone with a ship style hull, about 1metre there selling,

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 10:44:06 pm »

Back in the day, when the crane was readily available, more than a few people
built up barge and crane combos using that bucket crane...

There should be some build up threads on the boards here somewhere...

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2167.0

tassie48

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 11:29:36 pm »

Chris a brass bucket made to scale would be ok weight wise and operational useage you need to get copies of the bucket and the two wire/chain operation one is the open closeing of the bucket via pulleys blocks the other is the lift up down wire that lowers the bucket to the sea floor and lift it up both wires operated together on seperate drums winches.
We use to bucket water on the deck to help wash down as we went out to dump the mud a 3 meter bucket held a lot of water.a brass bucket would be ok tassie48

chris holley

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 06:15:51 am »

I think i would like the sucking type off system rather than buckets, dont no why

tassie48

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2010, 07:32:33 am »

Chris the only problem is the pump impellor you have to get the water mud ratio right as the pump will stop and seize up the cutter suction dredgers use to run a lot of water thru the brew to get the pump running so a boat bilge pump with large impellor base will have to do the job.Today i was in the hobby shop and saw a model crane with working bucket all plastic and I was told a local lad has fitted on to a barge to make a model Tonka and BuddyL use to make a grab bucket crane so a look around the op second hand shops may make sense for a model tassie48

tassie48

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 07:39:23 am »

Chris look up W H ORBELL on youtube it shows her  working  and she is over in the UK working somewere ex NZ cutter suction dredge new the name would come to me in the end old ships names so many ships  sorry i can not cut and paste yet tassie48

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2010, 07:44:23 am »

I guess you don't even need lifting pumps for a 'sucking system', you could use a "bubble lift" ... like internal fish tank filters.....

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2010, 08:02:25 am »

Channel

• Full Mayhemer
    • Channel Images
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2010, 10:25:23 am »

Here's adredger I work on from time to time. Powered by 2 schottel units aft, what you can't see forward is her ladder and cutter head.

Built in France by a company called Hydroland she's a cutter suction dredger.

Follow my blog - www.channelimages.com

chris holley

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2010, 05:17:58 pm »

Thanks Channel, whats is the name off this dredger? i can google an see what comes up

chris holley

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2010, 07:44:44 pm »

I am looking for a ship style hull with high bow an low level deck to stern anyone have something or an idea what to use, maybe a slipway coaster hull thanks

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2010, 08:38:13 pm »

I am looking for a ship style hull with high bow an low level deck to stern anyone have something or an idea what to use, maybe a slipway coaster hull thanks

Try searching "rainbowing dredges"

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&gbv=2&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=rainbowing+dredge&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&start=0

ok2

http://www.boskalis.com/nieuws.php?pageID=62&itemID=1022

chris holley

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2010, 09:00:40 pm »

:} :}

this is the type if dredger iam after, found a site that's selling them in us, the real ones mind {-).

there was also plans off them there to.

just need to find a hull like the one above by Umi_Ryuzuki.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 22 queries.