Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yacht model in need of ID  (Read 1772 times)

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
Yacht model in need of ID
« on: June 25, 2010, 05:02:43 pm »

I spotted this yacht model on eBay yesterday, and thought it had some R/C potential (certainly more than my much smaller "replica vintage" pond yacht mentioned in previous posts - being much larger, with a hollow fin keel, and apparently based on a real prototype).

But does anyone know what class or individual boat it's based on? It looks similar in style to the J-class, but the hull shape doesn't look right, and it's gaff-rigged. It certainly looks to be based on a type from the same era, or at least a "vintage style" modern yacht (the spars appear to be aluminium).

Although this is one of the many mass-produced decorative wooden models often seen on eBay and in gift shops, I strongly suspect it's based on an actual prototype - most of the larger examples of these models are, if only because it's easier to copy from an existing plan or model than to invent a design from scratch!

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Yacht model in need of ID
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 06:40:44 pm »

Hi Edward, I should just ignore it!  It looks like a solid wood hull and they can be surprisingly heavy.  The keel is just a piece of metal no righting ability and as you say it is neither fish nor fowl.
Pretty, unless you know what you are looking at.
Much safer on ebay,
kind regards Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 23 queries.