Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.4 ghz rc  (Read 5498 times)

Robert Davies

Re: 2.4 ghz rc
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2010, 06:01:38 pm »

Just something to bear in mind - as previously stated, 2.4gHz doesn't like water, so be very wary of using it in foggy, misty, damp or very rainy conditions - it will still work, but range will be greatly reduced.

I think I must respond to this above....

With Futaba FASST, Assan, and FrSky, in my experience, if you can safely see it, you can control it - I'll qualify this further, at 500 yards it's difficult to tell which way a 1meter is pointing - left or right, or going away or coming towards.....

I've experienced no reduction in range whilst sailing with the Gwynedd Model Group in some VERY wintry conditions.

Your mileage may indeed vary, but when I go out for the day sailing, I go for the DAY, and don't let weather deter me.

On the other hand the clubhouse at Gresford near Wrexham is side on to the lake, with large windows facing out over 300yds+ of water, so when it rains we can retire inside, whence the signal is now attenuated by glass and heavy downpour, and I can still sail around the 'No Fishing' sign on the far side of the lake.

So moisture in the air 'may' reduce the range, but being as I have yet to determine what the effective range actually is (far, far, away...) I'd say that unless your actually standing under water, and your boat is below the surface of said, you'll be alright - with the previously mentioned qualification regarding sailing a submarine of course, you've got more to worry about if your boat is under water, than range issues.

-Rob

ps With care applied to antenna placement, I'll add Spektrum, and Giantcod/FlySky to the extreme range list - those two just seem a little more fussy than the earlier mentioned three.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2010, 07:54:27 pm »

Just something to bear in mind - as previously stated, 2.4gHz doesn't like water, so be very wary of using it in foggy, misty, damp or very rainy conditions - it will still work, but range will be greatly reduced.

I've heard this claimed a few times now and can't find anyone that actually had the problem... that could be traced to other issues.
2.4G and submarines will that is a known issue.

Having said all that.....!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ick_-9g_b4Y
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

The long Build

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2010, 08:48:21 pm »

So thats anyone in the UK Scuppered  :}   Had No problem the other Day at Kirklees , Mind you the weather there I think was imported or they pay more rates than us as it was a tad Hot... :-))

BoatyBoy

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2010, 11:39:15 pm »

I've heard this claimed a few times now and can't find anyone that actually had the problem...

It's one of them urban myth thingies

787Eng

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2010, 09:16:33 am »

I notice nobody has recommended Spektrum so I will it's first class gear and an after sales that cannot be beaten. :-))

100% agree... :-))

TugCowboy

« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2010, 09:28:00 pm »

Either Planet 5 or Giant Cod. I personally prefer the "feel" or the Planet 5 but they are much alike.

No more walking around the lake saying "what freq. you on?" Heaven!

Alex
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.