Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Micro RC Square rigger 1/85 scale Brigantine St.Helena  (Read 5922 times)

meatbomber

Micro RC Square rigger 1/85 scale Brigantine St.Helena
« on: April 01, 2010, 12:50:27 am »

Hello,
i've been coming from an airplane background before finding my interest in sailing models. the last couple of years i built micro planes with a weight of around 10-35g so i`m not easily put off by small  %% That was the reason why i wanted to try how small one could make a successfully sailing RC square rigger :)
Choosing the subject i found a suitable kit from Constructo, the 1/85 scale St.Helena Schooner Brig of 135tons a EIC packet built in 1814.

The specs:
Length on deck 26cm
narrow beam at only 7,5cm
Displaciement all of 370g with a 120g leadshot in the ballast tube..
Sailarea isn`t all that big at 6,7dmē

RC is 1 Servo fore Square sail braces, 1 Servo mainsail sheet, and rudder. The Fore Trysail, and all the headsails have fixed sheets to reduce complexity.
Sails are made from Tyvek, all sails except main sail, fore trysail and fore staysail are removable. The Topgallant and royal have been permanently mounted together so they basically handle like a single sail.

She sails really well :) fast, manouverable and weatherly, very little wind already makes her move out at a brisk pace! With sails reduced you can sail in surprisingly high winds without getting knocked down,in all i`m very happy :)

a video is here: www.vimeo.com/10507781

The winds were a bit gusty and i was reluctant to sink her on m first outing so i only had the Square topsail set, in hindsight i could have easily set more sail, i was out today in similar conditions with all sail set.

meatbomber

Re: Micro RC Square rigger 1/85 scale Brigantine St.Helena
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 12:04:11 am »

another short video this time with all sail set as a proper brigantine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNNtfIDHJ7s&feature=player_embedded#

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 09:05:59 pm »

MB
Very nice indeed :-))
Jimmy
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

meatbomber

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 09:55:10 pm »

thanks i`m really happy with this tiny little ship :) i sailed her today in a good 15kts of wind with teh squares all struck and only teh F&A sails, and later when the wind moderated just clapped on the squares again and was sailing in zephers that would have left my sloop footy  frustrated in the middle of the pond :) i`m really surpirised that sailing works on such a small scale !

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 11:24:12 pm »

For the most part its not the size but how it's built and the skill of the person sailing  ... A skilled sailor can make a plank of wood sail  {:-{ a poor sailor woun't be able to sail a well found yacht from A to B with out getting in a muddle.
Freebooter :-))
Kings Lynn

meatbomber

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 06:06:48 pm »

Some more sailing pics from today, we had a very strong north easter blowing and thats at our pond a bit tricky as a row of tree is creating a lot of turbulence. Also i couldn't resist the temptation to sail with all sail set, and thus was way overpowered at some points ;) i had one knockdown where she would be really on her beam ends. but the gust subsided adn spilling the air from teh sails brought her upright again and i got her safely on shore.

i'm really happy with how she looks :)
Note: The tiller on deck works and so by looking at it you can see what helm i had to hold while sailing :)

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 07:36:20 pm »

MB
 Looks like she's going like a train in the last two photos... She's Super looking little vessel as well... Must be great fun to sail...
Jimmy
Freebooter :-)) O0
Kings Lynn
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.