Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paint Protection  (Read 3421 times)

Aidi

Paint Protection
« on: April 01, 2010, 09:49:52 pm »

Howdie Everyone,

Nearly coming to the end of painting the hull on my Billing Mary Ann model.   

Are there any products out there which i can paint on the hull to give it some protection from dirty marks etc without spoiling the paint effect?   

I have used Humbrol Satin White and Brown for the hull colours

Thanks
Aidi

DARLEK1

Re: Paint Protection
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 10:13:41 pm »

Jap LAC I think it is called is perfect for this but, it is clear and very high gloss, I have used it several times on various models. They do other colours aswell besides clear. Trouble is it isn't easy to find where I am, last time I found some in B&Q so baught three tins. Hope this helps.
 Paul...

Brian Roberts

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 11:01:40 pm »

Hi Aidi

I use SPECTRA Matt Clear and SPECTRA Satin Fuel Proofer on my boats. Have used them both for years and never had a problem.

Brian

FullLeatherJacket

davidm1945

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 05:53:58 pm »

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 06:03:59 pm »

Why do you want to protect the paint.

Paint is used to protect what it is applied to. O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Aidi

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 10:12:56 pm »

Thanks for all your replies. 

I think i might have misworded what i was trying to achieve.   I want to protect the paintwork from dirty fingers etc whilst i continue to work on the boat.  I will no doubt get marks on it, and as it looks nice at the moment it would be ashame to spoil it.

I guess i could always touch it up when its finished, but dont want to spoil it too much.

Rgds
Aidi

ministeve

• Full Mayhemer
  • washing the decks!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 10:57:57 pm »

van lettering and sign shops have a lo tack paper that they apply to the vinyl before they can apply to the van or sign i have used this and it works well to stop the hull from being rubbed and scratched

Steve

Peterm

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 08:22:08 am »

We use clingfilm to protect paintwork.   Easy to apply, easy to remove.   Pete
I`m not just old, I`m ancient

Aidi

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 09:10:45 am »

Thanks again for the replys chaps.   What a quick and clever idea using clingfilm!   Sometimes the obvious is not always obvious!    It's on my list of things to get!

Rgds
Aidi

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 12:42:54 pm »

The ad says to thin it with cellulose thinners - better be very careful what you apply it over!

That's strange. I've just cleaned my brush with White Spirit - did the job a treat O0 I use this over Humbrol and Revell enamels, and Revell Airbrush enamels - never had any bad reaction (Yet {-))

Barrie

davidm1945

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 03:26:25 pm »

That's strange. I've just cleaned my brush with White Spirit - did the job a treat O0 I use this over Humbrol and Revell enamels, and Revell Airbrush enamels - never had any bad reaction (Yet {-))

Barrie

Hi Barrie,
   White spirit and cellulose thinners are two entirely different things. If you use cellulose thinners on ordinary gloss paint it will craze and blister.

Dave

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 03:34:38 pm »

Yes I know that :-) I was trying to point out that Humbrol Mattcote, Staincote etc are not cellulose based :-))

Barrie

davidm1945

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 06:46:52 pm »

Yes I know that :-) I was trying to point out that Humbrol Mattcote, Staincote etc are not cellulose based :-))

Barrie

Sorry, was not trying to teach granny to suck eggs!

Years ago I worked in an auto spray shop.One day I had to respray a GPO van that had been in an accident - the Post Office supplied the paint, thinners and transfers for the GPO logo.
I thinned the paint and sprayed the van and then tried to clean the spray gun, but the thinners wouldn't clean the paint off. I rang the GPO garage and complained about the rubbish thinners they had sent. The guy at the other end said "we didn't send any thinners - that's the adhesive for the transfers!"  :embarrassed: Everybody agreed it was a lovely finish.....

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.