Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smit Nederland - bow thruster  (Read 2962 times)

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
Smit Nederland - bow thruster
« on: August 27, 2008, 10:21:31 pm »

Hi

One of my winter projects may be putting a bow thruster into my Neddy. Has anyone done this? Any pix, or advice on what type of thruster to use.

How do you get the holes cut properly in a ellipse, so the circular cross section of the thruster tube fits properly, for example.

I want to make sure I get all the info before I start drilling!

Thanks
Andy
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

hama

Re: Smit Nederland - bow thruster
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 09:29:09 am »

Hi Andy!
I just drilled a hole in my Smit London hull the other day using an idea a saw over at RC-groups( I think it was!). You mark one spot at both sides of the hull. This is quite easy, mark a horizontal line through the center of your intended hole in the same way as we mark waterlines. Then measure from the stem to center of your intended hole. Now drill a small hole on each side. Take a long metal rod and bend it in one end so you get a U-form with the radius of your hole and make the end of the bent rod sharp. Insert the rod through the holes and let the sharp tip mark your hole on the hull as you turn it. Do the same thing on the other side. Drill small holes around the line and file the edges. Hm, I wonder if anyone understand what I'm saying. Wish I had some pictures instead. Anyway, it worked out perfect for me. I wish I had seen this method earlier. As for thruster, I made my one. It was surprisingly easy and very cheap. I am very curious in the thrusters from Raebosh as you can dismantle them once installed and you can by spare parts. They look sweet! So, hope this helps. Perhaps someone can guide us to the thread I refer to?
Good luck, Hama.

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
Re: Smit Nederland - bow thruster
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 05:28:11 pm »

Well, it's been a long time coming, but I eventually got it done as my 2009/2010 project. (2008/2009 turned out to be a full set of external and internal lights).

I used the method described above and I can confirm that it works a treat. With a bit of filing, filling and fettling, the bow thrust tubes fitted snugly in their elliptical holes. Expoxied in, then sealed inside and out with filler, then painted. (The whole hull is due for a repaint in 2010/2011 so a slight difference in colour doesn't worry me unduly).

Bath testing proved everything to be watertight and a little lightening of lead ballast soon had the tug trimmed OK. Next step is a trip to the lake for manoeuvering trials.

The thruster is a Raboesch RAB108-04 unit and is plenty powerful enough! In fact, I've got to set the TX so the thruster starts up gently and doesn't up to full power.

Thanks for the help on the fitting and for the advice on another thread re the ESC wiring colours.

Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.